Waste of real Search and Rescue's Time

outtawind
Fledgling

Waste of real Search and Rescue's Time

Post by outtawind »

Is it just me, or does it seem that folks are calling our Search and Rescue for things that are really - and i mean REALLY - not in need of an official 'Rescue'.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/32 ... ntain-road

Your car gets stuck, a second car gets stuck, a third car gets stuck. Why are you calling SAR? - they are not a towtruck service. Same with these snowmobilers up on the Aberdeen Plateau. Activating their emergency GPS... are you kidding us? Quit wasting these peoples time.

SAR is for emergencies, not inconveniences.
Boosted632
Banned

Re: Waste of real Search and Rescue's Time

Post by Boosted632 »

If you're snowmobiling and get stuck or break down that is an emergency, the idiots getting stuck on a bush road obviously had cell service and should have called a tow truck
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Boosted632 wrote:If you're snowmobiling and get stuck or break down that is an emergency, the idiots getting stuck on a bush road obviously had cell service and should have called a tow truck
Good luck getting a tow truck to respond to that location. Especially that night/evening. You'd need to contact a specialized recovery service.

Yes it's a road, but the fact SAR members had to reach it via ATV tells you something.

I do agree tho. Someone with a set of chains and a 4x4 pickup likely could have rescued most of them without issue.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

TylerM4 wrote:
Boosted632 wrote:If you're snowmobiling and get stuck or break down that is an emergency, the idiots getting stuck on a bush road obviously had cell service and should have called a tow truck
Good luck getting a tow truck to respond to that location. Especially that night/evening. You'd need to contact a specialized recovery service.

Yes it's a road, but the fact SAR members had to reach it via ATV tells you something.

I do agree tho. Someone with a set of chains and a 4x4 pickup likely could have rescued most of them without issue.
Tow trucks will chain up and go off road it just costs a bunch more they go up to my neck of the woods to rescue idiots all the time
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

outtawind wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem that folks are calling our Search and Rescue for things that are really - and i mean REALLY - not in need of an official 'Rescue'.

Your car gets stuck, a second car gets stuck, a third car gets stuck. Why are you calling SAR? - they are not a towtruck service. Same with these snowmobilers up on the Aberdeen Plateau. Activating their emergency GPS... are you kidding us? Quit wasting these peoples time.

They didn't call out SAR, they called RCMP. RCMP called SAR. That doesn't excuse their stupidity. I used to do SAR and quit because of the high number of idiots who expected us to risk our lives to rescue them from the consequences of their poor decision making. Sad because these people outweigh the genuine unforeseen emergencies.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Boosted632 wrote:
Tow trucks will chain up and go off road it just costs a bunch more they go up to my neck of the woods to rescue idiots all the time

Sometimes, but I wouldn't count on it. Yes they'll come and chain up if it's a really icy paved road. But as soon as they think it's an "offroad recovery" they'll usually bow out. Send them a pic with 1' of snow on the ground and they'll usually opt out.

I've been in just such a situation myself. Our experience was one of "After calling every tow company in the book, we had to settle for one who would attempt the job the following day". Most flat out refused, same gave me a "maybe we'll come", and only one would commit to next day service. Frustrating because I knew a chained truck could do the job no problem.
outtawind
Fledgling

Post by outtawind »

Yes, agree that if you are way out on a snowmobile - a rescue might be needed. One recent story though I think the guys had managed to dig themselves out by the time SAR got there.

Does it seem like inexperienced folks are taking on risk just because they feel this safety net is there? The number of rescues speaks more to their 'I'm hardcore, but someone will come save me' attitude.

SAR had better at least be sending hefty invoices for some of these, not draining their donation coffers.
dg3
Board Meister

Post by dg3 »

outtawind wrote: Yes, agree that if you are way out on a snowmobile - a rescue might be needed.
or maybe an intervention?
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

outtawind wrote:Is it just me, or does it seem that folks are calling our Search and Rescue for things that are really - and i mean REALLY - not in need of an official 'Rescue'.

I'm guessing you didn't really read the story either and missed the point where it said RCMP asked Vernon search and rescue to get involved. The parents and the kids did not call out Vernon search and rescue.
And I'm curious would you have the same attitude towards the people that got stuck if it was you that got stuck because of an unforeseen circumstance and could not get a tow truck to come get you. Who would you call?
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
CanuckFan
Fledgling

Post by CanuckFan »

Why would they call a tow truck? That costs money. SAR rescues idiots for free.
nicholas p
Fledgling

Post by nicholas p »

common_sense_guy wrote:

I'm guessing you didn't really read the story either and missed the point where it said RCMP asked Vernon search and rescue to get involved. The parents and the kids did not call out Vernon search and rescue.
And I'm curious would you have the same attitude towards the people that got stuck if it was you that got stuck because of an unforeseen circumstance and could not get a tow truck to come get you. Who would you call?
So you want to say they wasted more resources which was meant for emergency. Secondly it was not unforeseen circumstance as the freezing temperature was forecasted beforehand & when you drive in mud road you must have a plan if you get struck . The good solution to tackle these kind of errors send the bill to the persons rescued which will be lesson for future people to think twice before calling.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

nicholas p wrote:So you want to say they wasted more resources which was meant for emergency. Secondly it was not unforeseen circumstance as the freezing temperature was forecasted beforehand & when you drive in mud road you must have a plan if you get struck . The good solution to tackle these kind of errors send the bill to the persons rescued which will be lesson for future people to think twice before calling.
Yep, sounds like a plan, charge thousands of $$$.

What will inevitably happen after that is 19-year-olds will take their patched together 4x4 out in the snow, pushing the limits of the truck to have some fun and "be the best". They get stuck, they don't call for help because they heard about their friends that were charged $5,000 last month for SAR. It gets dark, they weren't able to dig out and now the temp is dropping. It's too late to go walking for cell service now so they hunker down in their 4x4 for the night and are found the next day. One of them is dead from hypothermia and the other sent to the hospital for recovery. A GoFundMe is started for the families to help with costs. The families start to message their MP for SAR funding so this doesn't happen again, and then it becomes a topic in politics, and funding by BC is reinstated.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

It’s impossible to fix stupid people.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

When the temperatures plummet, and at higher elevations they are even lower, getting stuck can become very serious.

Yes when stuck one should call for a tow, if the tow companies decline or indicate they will attend during daytime hours once a plan can be arrived upon, then next call is the authorities (RCMP), who contact SAR to rescue the people.

SAR is called out to rescue people, not vehicles. The vehicles can be dealt with at a later time with proper equipment. Even if the tow truck has to follow machinery into the area.

Wasn't the problem here, that the first people who were stuck, didn't call for professional help ? They called friends and family who attempted to help and then they themselves needed to be rescued.
outtawind wrote:.........
SAR had better at least be sending hefty invoices for some of these, not draining their donation coffers.
nicholas p wrote:The good solution to tackle these kind of errors send the bill to the persons rescued which will be lesson for future people to think twice before calling.

That's completely contrary to SAR policy province wide. SAR don't want people to take alternate steps first (like stupidly calling friends, like these geniuses did) and get themselves in worse trouble.
Last edited by my5cents on Feb 11th, 2021, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

GordonH wrote:It’s impossible to fix stupid people.
Wow ,lovely comment how you paint everybody with one brush. Because accidents don't happen in everyday life do they.
We don't have enough victim shaming in life already do we.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.

Return to “North Okanagan”