Sask Wheat Board

edmskeptic
Board Meister

Sask Wheat Board

Post by edmskeptic »

So I was talking with someone who worked at the Vancouver silos that used to be owned by the Sask Wheat board before it got sold to Cargill.

The Sask wheat board used to wash the wheat 7 times before silo'ing it.
Cargill and the other multinationals now only do it twice.

A lot of old timers who stayed on to work after the change to Cargill are dying off from cancer before or soon after retirement.

Makes you wonder what they're inhaling that used to get washed off after 7 washes that isn't getting cleaned after only 2 washes like it is now.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Sask Wheat Board

Post by stuphoto »

When you say Old Timers it has me questioning whether the cancer is from the Cargill process or something they carried over from the Wheat Board days.
I would love to blame Cargill directly, but I could also envision high amounts of mold growing in an environment where they wash grains 7 times.

Another thing to consider is the sprays Cargill is famous for.
Have they changed since that time to something more cancerous.

The harsh reality is all the Old Timers will be long gone before we ever find out what is killing them :135:
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

All the extra cancer couldn't be Maybe attributed to the fact that they spray Roundup on their wheat barley oats and beans just before Harvest. You got to think that's getting into our cells of our body by now. I couldn't believe that's what they do just before Harvest. If you don't believe me Google it. That's our food supply
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

What are the chances all the extra cancer was from the dust alone. Like coal miners and black lungs.

Also more people smoked back in the day, they didn't always protect themselves properly either. Years ago I was level one fire investigator. There were still hot spots in the homes we looked at.

When I finaly went for training, they had made it known you need no less then three days to let the smoke and dust settle. Further to, you were required to wear a proper mask.

There are many factors which would have to be considered and I wouldn't jump to the conclusion or assume the cause is from chemicals used today. If that was the truth or fact, if you consume the same grains even when processed you'd be in danger.
edmskeptic
Board Meister

Post by edmskeptic »

More roundup is being used every year because of roundup resistance. Weeds evolve too.
Less of that roundup is being washed off in processing from 7 washes to 2.

All the **** is now in your flour and bread.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I saw a documentary about retired firefighters a few years ago Ken, and some of them were talking about how they always acted so tough. Working through the injuries, and even cancer, acting like they were impervious to it all.
The side effects of course came later in life when they could hardly walk or were even dying from the after effects.
Thankfully that is changing.

As for the grain. It sounds like it was washed at the source, hopefully minimizing the dust. Still a possibility thought.

Oh a related topic, if you are ever in Spruce Grove, Alberta they have an excellent museum built into the old grain elevator.
If you take the tour they describe how they took the product in, after first ensuring it was dry enough to not self combust.
Plus the dust causing explosions.
And even how some farmers tried cheating the system.

A little tidbit I was told there.
They tried building the grain elevators 10 miles apart, so the furthest a farmer would have to transport his grains is 5 miles.
Their thought was, that was a full days work with horse and buggy.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

stuphoto wrote:I saw a documentary about retired firefighters a few years ago Ken, and some of them were talking about how they always acted so tough. Working through the injuries, and even cancer, acting like they were impervious to it all.
The side effects of course came later in life when they could hardly walk or were even dying from the after effects.
Thankfully that is changing.

As for the grain. It sounds like it was washed at the source, hopefully minimizing the dust. Still a possibility thought.

Oh a related topic, if you are ever in Spruce Grove, Alberta they have an excellent museum built into the old grain elevator.
If you take the tour they describe how they took the product in, after first ensuring it was dry enough to not self combust.
Plus the dust causing explosions.
And even how some farmers tried cheating the system.

A little tidbit I was told there.
They tried building the grain elevators 10 miles apart, so the furthest a farmer would have to transport his grains is 5 miles.
Their thought was, that was a full days work with horse and buggy.

I've always looked at the distance from Elevator or town to town. I've concluded that was required as a steam engine needed to water up. That is my theory, southern Saskatchewan it's every 10 miles apart town to town and some later became cities.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Thank you Ken,
That also sounds like a perfect explanation. I wonder if it could be a combination.

You just know I had to google it up, and it brought me to this site with some breathtaking photos worth looking at.
https://www.sandraherber.com/grain-elev ... n-prairies
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Feb 12th, 2021, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Posted same in another thread
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

edmskeptic wrote:So I was talking with someone who worked at the Vancouver silos that used to be owned by the Sask Wheat board before it got sold to Cargill.
Same employees at the same big box store again or other employees at another big box store this time? [icon_lol2.gif]
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

edmskeptic wrote:More roundup is being used every year because of roundup resistance. Weeds evolve too.
Less of that roundup is being washed off in processing from 7 washes to 2.

All the **** is now in your flour and bread.
Would it be in my Rye Whiskey and beer too then....

Return to “Canada”