Strictly Woodwork

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
alanjh595
Banned

Strictly Woodwork

Post by alanjh595 »

I am starting this topic to see if there are others out there that would like to discuss woodwork only.
There are other forums for general shop talk, mechanics, welding, and metalworking, I am hoping to keep this for just woodworking.

There are two main reasons behind this prerogative,
#1. To take my woodworking projects out of the cooking thread.
#2. To find like minded people that have a common interest regardless of experience level. Whether your interest is just starting out and would like to try, or if just sharing past, present, or future projects and ideas.

If you have a genuine interest in the topic, as I do, then please join in. I was very happy to try and make that banana hanger, it was something I had never thought of making, and it used up some of my scrap box pieces. Since that project finished, I pulled out some more scraps and glued them together last night. Today I finished that project too.
Capture.JPG

I didn't know what I was going to make out of the wood when I glued it together, it started to take shape and became a cheez-stick board, others may just call it a cheese board.

I love woodwork, and I would like to chat with others that share my passion. I know there is at least one other out there, I bet he will be along soon.

Have a nice day, enjoy the sunshine, and stay warm. :130:
Bring back the LIKE button.
lifegives
Board Meister

Re: Strictly Woodwork

Post by lifegives »

I didn't know what to make of the thread titled "Banana Holder" and I stayed away from it, somehow what came to mind was the first Borat movie and the mankini. My apologies.

And I'll be the first to throw my hammer into the mix. Just bought a power planer off the Castanet classifieds last week to add to my workshop.

Maybe we could finally find enough like-minded people that the idea of a tool library/co-op workshop could finally become more than just a dream.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I have often thought about starting a business with the same thoughts in mind.

Like a tool rental business, but the tools never leave the premises.
Buying credits on a magnetic card reader that would turn on the power for a piece of equipment.
Smaller tools would have to be picked up at the counter from an attendant.

Spray booth and storage lockers could also be rented.

Workspace, clamps, workbench would all be by the hour. Big tools by the minute.

Etc.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

lifegives wrote:I didn't know what to make of the thread titled "Banana Holder" and I stayed away from it, somehow what came to mind was the first Borat movie and the mankini. My apologies.

And I'll be the first to throw my hammer into the mix. Just bought a power planer off the Castanet classifieds last week to add to my workshop.

Maybe we could finally find enough like-minded people that the idea of a tool library/co-op workshop could finally become more than just a dream.
I know what you mean.........
When I first discovered these forums, the "Grab Bag" was not the first thought I had either. [icon_lol2.gif]
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

alanjh595 wrote:
If you have a genuine interest in the topic, as I do, then please join in. I was very happy to try and make that banana hanger, it was something I had never thought of making, and it used up some of my scrap box pieces. Since that project finished, I pulled out some more scraps and glued them together last night. Today I finished that project too.
The attachment Capture.JPG is no longer available

Make it a tad wider and longer with a thinner handle and you'll have a pizza peel. This one is 12 x 14 with an 8" handle - could be bigger or have a long handle depending on what wood you have available. Great for putting pizzas, rustic breads, buns, etc. in the oven.
Pizza Peel.jpg
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Feb 12th, 2021, 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Hi Alan,

Back in highschool I was lucky to have a master woodworker teach the woodshop class. My best friend was very into it and ended up becoming a cabinet maker. I took woodshop with my friend for 4 years. Mr. T taught me how to make a decorative bowsaw, how to sharpen handplanes (let me borrow his personal ones), build router table jigs and even some extremely detailed chisel skills. He went way above what a normal teacher would do. I compared him to the metalshop teacher who had his students build a hacky sack. I built a pedestal table complete with dovetail joints.

I lost my drive to continue shortly after highschool and went into college for completely different studies.

Anyway, since we purchased our home last spring I am back at it and really enjoying it.

Here is what I am working on currently. Custom sized barn doors for a mechanical room. Request from a family member.

alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Those are beautiful. Good job :up:
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Thank you :D

Do you have a final pic of the banana holder? I'm not frequent in the cooking thread.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Capture.JPG
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

oneh2obabe wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:
Capture.JPG

Make it a tad wider and longer with a thinner handle and you'll have a pizza peel. This one is 12 x 14 with an 8" handle - could be bigger or have a long handle depending on what wood you have available. Great for putting pizzas, rustic breads, buns, etc. in the oven.
Pizza Peel.jpg
That got me thinking....

I have enough aluminum (still in the wrapper), to make 21 11" X 11" (flat work surface) peels with wood handles.

Does anyone else want one? How much would you be willing to pay?

Before I go out and search for a company to cut them to shape and put a bend in the end to off-set the hardwood handle.
How long of a handle would you all want to have? (I can make a variety of lengths)

I would make one batch only.
I could also make a wall mounted bracket to hold it.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

alanjh595 wrote:
Capture.JPG
Very nice work :up:
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Sparki55 wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:
Capture.JPG
Very nice work :up:
Thank you, but I am not happy with the result. Cold was my biggest problem. 15 minutes in the garage, requires 3 minutes of warming my fingers in front of the fireplace.
I was more hasty with this project than I wanted to be.

It's not a decorative piece, but I hope it is utilitarian enough to get the job done.

We will have to wait and see if it works after she receives it and tries it out.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The bananas are going to be bananas about it!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Queen K wrote:The bananas are going to be bananas about it!
If they complain......split them down the middle, add some ice cream & chocolate sauce & whipped cream.

Do all that in front of the rest of them and tell them they will be next if they don't shut up!!!

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:runforlife:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Creative Endeavours”