Tires dumped in stream

bob vernon
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3953
Joined: Oct 27th, 2008, 10:37 am

Tires dumped in stream

Post by bob vernon »

Tires have, I believe, serial numbers on them. Can these tires be traced back to the outlet who sold them and then to the customer who bought them? People generally are quite loyal to their tire outlets and usually are repeat buyers. There are so many tires in that creek that there must be a pattern of purchase. Like one vendor who sold most of them. If so, they need a visit.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/32 ... -of-Vernon
TylerM4
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3601
Joined: Feb 27th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Re: Tires dumped in stream

Post by TylerM4 »

When it's that many tires, it's unlikely they were dumped by the original owner. Likely a shady tire shop that doesn't want to pay to dispose of properly.

Tires do have serial numbers - but they are not unique numbers. They're more like a manufacturing code.
https://generaltire.com/talk-shop/what- ... d-where-it
pthfndr
Posts: 63
Joined: Jan 28th, 2006, 12:25 am

Re: Tires dumped in stream

Post by pthfndr »

I wonder if they are from logging that was done many years ago and the roads have been overgrown since . no one is going to hike in to dispose of that many tires.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3601
Joined: Feb 27th, 2014, 3:22 pm

Re: Tires dumped in stream

Post by TylerM4 »

pthfndr wrote:I wonder if they are from logging that was done many years ago and the roads have been overgrown since . no one is going to hike in to dispose of that many tires.
Logging equipment does not use passenger car tires. There are some heavy equipment tires shown, but mostly we see smaller. None of the tires have moss/vegetation growing on or even over the tires - These were dumped in the last few years.

They were likely dumped higher upstream off the side of a roadway or rolled down a gully. Then during spring melt they get moved downstream.
AtlantisKelowna
Board Meister
Posts: 591
Joined: Feb 20th, 2019, 3:49 pm

Re: Tires dumped in stream

Post by AtlantisKelowna »

Just pure laziness. Tire shop's do not get charged for scrap tire removal and any that claim they do are full of it. I spent 20 years in the industry managing stores for a couple large sellers. When you purchase new tires there is a $5 levy per tire that covers the recycling fee.

Any tire shop is supposed to take scrap tires kind of like a recycling depot. I know a couple place's in town refuse simply because they don't have much space for scrap tires and a couple others that charge $5 per tire and pocket it.

Tire Stewardship BC is a great program and will list many of the locations that offer scrap drop off locations.

https://www.tsbc.ca/pickupdropoff.php
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4845
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Tires dumped in stream

Post by Gixxer »

Hmmm not really sure where the site is but there is a very steep embankment to the repeater station past Becker Lake. For years it was a popular place for young people to roll stuff down. Theres everything from tires, appliances, and some very old cars at the bottom. A person can only get to it by dirt bike on a side trail.
User avatar
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep
Posts: 32600
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: Tires dumped in stream

Post by GordonH »

Lazy :cuss: ...cheap have been dumping their garbage out in the brush for years.

If any of them ever actually get caught, 2 things should happen.
1) publicly made known
2) several hundred hours of community service
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
Brushy Bill
Board Meister
Posts: 412
Joined: Apr 11th, 2012, 11:58 am

Re: Tires dumped in stream

Post by Brushy Bill »

Is that Carrs landing ?
User avatar
2manyfords
Übergod
Posts: 1268
Joined: Aug 29th, 2009, 8:22 am

Re: Tires dumped in stream

Post by 2manyfords »

TylerM4 wrote:
Logging equipment does not use passenger car tires. There are some heavy equipment tires shown, but mostly we see smaller.

You're right. Logging equipment doesn't use passenger tires. But quite often the smaller tires are used in the transportation/loading/off-loading of equipment... :up:
Trying to think of something profound, and full of wisdom to place here...any suggestions?
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2603
Joined: Feb 20th, 2016, 10:39 am

Re: Tires dumped in stream

Post by dontrump »

all I know if I was this group of serious people whom like to clean things up I would not be asking some government :cuss: if it,s ok to clean up I would just go ahead and remove the debris
Last edited by dontrump on Feb 13th, 2021, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lifegives
Board Meister
Posts: 590
Joined: Nov 26th, 2020, 5:11 am

Re: Tires dumped in stream

Post by lifegives »

dontrump wrote:all I know if I was this group of serious people whom like to lean things up I would not be asking some government :cuss: if it ok to clean up I would just go ahead and remove the debris
It's like when they sink a ship in the ocean to make a new reef-like structure for creatures of the deep, they have to be sure what the effect will be before they take action. The OFTF is being responsible by making sure the questions are answered before acting, something more of us should do, think before acting.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2603
Joined: Feb 20th, 2016, 10:39 am

Re: Tires dumped in stream

Post by dontrump »

lifegives wrote:
dontrump wrote:all I know if I was this group of serious people whom like to lean things up I would not be asking some government :cuss: if it ok to clean up I would just go ahead and remove the debris
It's like when they sink a ship in the ocean to make a new reef-like structure for creatures of the deep, they have to be sure what the effect will be before they take action. The OFTF is being responsible by making sure the questions are answered before acting, something more of us should do, think before acting.
you know some people can make an excuse even for the :cuss: pm of canada removing tires from a small creek is not even close to a ship in the ocean not even remotely close
lifegives
Board Meister
Posts: 590
Joined: Nov 26th, 2020, 5:11 am

Re: Tires dumped in stream

Post by lifegives »

dontrump wrote: you know some people can make an excuse even for the :cuss: pm of canada removing tires from a small creek is not even close to a ship in the ocean not even remotely close
Good to know you're a biologist, definitely will have more questions as time goes on.
User avatar
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2355
Joined: Aug 4th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Re: Tires dumped in stream

Post by vegas1500 »

bob vernon wrote:Tires have, I believe, serial numbers on them. Can these tires be traced back to the outlet who sold them and then to the customer who bought them? People generally are quite loyal to their tire outlets and usually are repeat buyers. There are so many tires in that creek that there must be a pattern of purchase. Like one vendor who sold most of them. If so, they need a visit.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/32 ... -of-Vernon
Passenger car tires are Completely untraceable to the end user. This is nothing more than local people who absolutely love their province then complain when tourists come to town.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2603
Joined: Feb 20th, 2016, 10:39 am

Re: Tires dumped in stream

Post by dontrump »

lifegives wrote:
dontrump wrote: you know some people can make an excuse even for the :cuss: pm of canada removing tires from a small creek is not even close to a ship in the ocean not even remotely close
Good to know you're a biologist, definitely will have more questions as time goes on.
you know people get so involved in the non needed politics in situations like this which adds to Bureaucracy which leads to $$
and nothing gets done this little creek is not the :cuss: :cuss: fraser river may I remind you all
just go and remove the tires and all will be well

Return to “North Okanagan”