Poll: Do You Support More Gun Control Laws?

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Re: Poll: Do You Support More Gun Control Laws?

Post by bob vernon »

What a performance by Mel Arnold, North Okanagan-Shuswap MP, this morning on CBC Daybreak.

Mel lead off by saying he hadn't read the gun control bill. Then he talked about how bad it was. Then the interviewer asked Mel how could he know how bad it was it he hadn't read it. Ah, errrr, ummm, eh, oh.
honeymuffins
Fledgling

Post by honeymuffins »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... neighbours

This guy killed 4 people with a hunting rifle and a handgun.

Yes, I support a full gun ban.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

honeymuffins wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... neighbours

This guy killed 4 people with a hunting rifle and a handgun.

Yes, I support a full gun ban.
Fair enough but what do you propose be done about all the illegal firearms out there?
I would bet my first born son that the majority of crimes committed with a firearm are done using illegal, unregistered guns.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

To Miss.Bann all guns.

The problem is not the gun it is the user. We could pull ten knife killings easily. We could pull many other cases of homicides easily where guns were not used.

With USA the hand gun and military weapon paradise, tell us how you propose to stop all illegal weapons from coming to Canada?

The Liberals threw millions into the gun registry and likely less then half of the firearms in Canada are currently registered. The registered gun should not be the one feared. The ones you need to watch out for are the ones in the hands of the Criminal.

They don't know how to shoot and they are not concerned about you, your loved ones or anyone else. Look back at the murder down at the grand. Did these Criminals have legal guns ? Did they care who was in the lien of fire? Lastly, do you thin the weapons were registered??
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

Right wing Canadians (and Americans) have so grossly politicized and dramatized the gun freedom / gun control controversy that undecided people will hop on the anti-gun train just to spite conservatives. It sucks because I love my guns but cringe at the gun community.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Brass Monkey wrote:Right wing Canadians (and Americans) have so grossly politicized and dramatized the gun freedom / gun control controversy that undecided people will hop on the anti-gun train just to spite conservatives. It sucks because I love my guns but cringe at the gun community.
Same. All of my lefty friends own guns as well. We're everywhere and most of us were raised with guns in our homes and taught a healthy respect. We oppose guns as a method of defense from people. Yes, for defense from animals for those of us in the boondocks but only when the dogs don't have the situation handled. For us, guns are a tool for acquiring food, and for target shooting. End of list. Our current laws are a pretty good balance of freedom and regulation. I do see a need for more regulation of handguns, especially in large cities, but that's the extent of anything that needs to be reviewed at this point.
Last edited by JLives on Feb 17th, 2021, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
honeymuffins
Fledgling

Post by honeymuffins »

Too many John Brittains hidden in the valley.

Time to take all the handguns and assault rifles from these characters at large. PAL & RPAL exams way too easy. Should be annual exams, annual mental health assessment and zero tolerance for those holding hunting rifles.

Clean up the country. We don't need another Moncton Massacre.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moncton_shootings#Victims

Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

This all ridiculous. So if you want to keep your hobby they are forcing you to move. Is this not discrimination? This kind of thing used happen to people based on their race. Where they did not want certain people to live in their neighborhood. If you have to move, should the city then be liable for moving expenses and finding you a new job for forcing you out? Criminals will just ignore these laws and the shootings will continue. Even if the bad guys cannot get handguns, they will use sawed-off rifles and shotguns and more people will die because they are more lethal than handguns. A black market will grow in handguns and then there will be no controls at all. This whole thing is irrational and rather unethical.
honeymuffins
Fledgling

Post by honeymuffins »

RPAL and PAL holders are part of the problem.

Shut them down and there will be an improvement.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

We are on a trajectory to be similar to the UK:

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-kniv ... l%20knife)

Nobody is allowed to carry a knife over 3" without good reason.

This poor sap has a curfew now because he was found with a BOX CUTTER on his person:

https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/1909 ... lly-knife/

^^^ This is the new world.

Imagine buying a new kitchen knife and then being stopped by police and then being charged because the court decided you didn't need a 3rd kitchen knife so you had no reason to buy it?

Or accidentally leaving a box cutter in your pocket after moving a friend? Good luck proving that you NEEDED a box knife to open boxes, why not just use a 3" or less knife?
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

honeymuffins wrote:RPAL and PAL holders are part of the problem.

Yep, shut them down! Can't have legally obtained firearms! You are a gun nut if you think you need a firearm!
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Treblehook wrote:This question seems irksome to me. The more appropriate issue is the failure of our prosecutors and courts to effectively prosecute and effectively sentence persons who have violated that existing firearms laws. What is the point in creating new laws when those that already are on the books are not used?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Poll/3250 ... -measures-
Exactly.

There are only 2 options for gun laws and they are not done in Canada, nor the USA for whatever reasons.

1) Hammer everyone who is guilty of the illegal firearms trade. Trafficking guns = THROW THE BOOK AT THEM. Kill someone with an unregistered gun? = THROW THE BOOK AT THEM. Actually punish criminals who are doing crimes with guns.

2) Seize all the guns and hammer everyone who has guns in any capacity after the probationary time is elapsed. Go the route of UK or Australia and try to get rid of ALL THE GUNS. Much harder to do in North America because of the 2nd Amendment and our penchant for hunting for food in Canada.

For some reason, governments (and most liberal/democrat citizens) think that tougher gun laws on law abiding citizens will cut down crime and are the answer to gun violence.

News flash: Criminals, gang bangers and murderers will not follow any laws. Making new laws or "tougher" laws on legal, registered owners accomplishes nothing. The bad guys are still gonna break the law. You're only hindering normal citizens.

Seems pretty logical and straight forward, and I don't even care about gun rights.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

honeymuffins wrote:RPAL and PAL holders are part of the problem.

How does one go hunting to provide for their family? Just get a trapping licence?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Fancy wrote: How does one go hunting to provide for their family? Just get a trapping licence?
I see it coming, only Indiginous will have the right to hunt. It will become a new industry!!

Wild meat harvesting, and you will have to buy it.

They will be the only ones armed as well, we'll take the weapons away from law enforcement as the Criminal element will vanish with gun owners, like it did with the legalization of cannabis.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Ken7 wrote:I see it coming, only Indiginous will have the right to hunt. It will become a new industry!!

Wild meat harvesting, and you will have to buy it.

They will be the only ones armed as well, we'll take the weapons away from law enforcement as the Criminal element will vanish with gun owners, like it did with the legalization of cannabis.
They do it with fish easily enough...
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Canada”