Climate Change Mega Thread

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
cyruslosco66
Banned

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by cyruslosco66 »

since 2012 , fire island wind farm has been pumping out the power . in alaska . since 2012 . in snow ice cold weather.

https://www.chugachelectric.com/about-u ... sland-wind
m4a ubi free palestine wear a mask support your local first nation band
mbfarm131
Fledgling

Post by mbfarm131 »

Dan Pena is pompous to say the least, but self made billionaires tend to have the inside track on sociopolitical trends and he pretty well shuts down the climate change debate with one point about mortgages. Sorry about the course language in the video, I wouldn't post it if it wasn't relevant. I care deeply about the environment and believe it is being terribly mismanaged, I think a lot of people feel that way, the climate change debate has only weaponized those well-meaning virtues and turned them into major profit for multinational corporations.

ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

mbfarm131 wrote:Dan Pena is pompous to say the least, but self made billionaires tend to have the inside track on sociopolitical trends and he pretty well shuts down the climate change debate with one point about mortgages. Sorry about the course language in the video, I wouldn't post it if it wasn't relevant. I care deeply about the environment and believe it is being terribly mismanaged, I think a lot of people feel that way, the climate change debate has only weaponized those well-meaning virtues and turned them into major profit for multinational corporations.

Thanks for posting. Nails it on the head.
cyruslosco66
Banned

Post by cyruslosco66 »

South korea decides not to listen to the climate hoax crowd and invest 43 billion in wind :smt045

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sout ... SKBN2A512D
cyruslosco66
Banned

Post by cyruslosco66 »

snow in saudi arabia , just your typical middle eastern spring lol .

https://twitter.com/NaphiSoc/status/136 ... 74822?s=20
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

indianlarry66 wrote:South korea decides not to listen to the climate hoax crowd and invest 43 billion in wind :smt045

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sout ... SKBN2A512D
Sweet! More demand for both carbon fiber and lubricants derived from oil. I will bet it will not be build to that size. It would disrupt too much of the surrounding ecosystem. But then again, one cannot never underestimate the hypocrisy of tree-huggers, they are most likely fine with it.

At least tar sands companies can return the ecosystem back to the way it was, if not better because the oil in the sand is removed leaving a cleaner soil, and less contamination to the water supply because oil is no longer seeping into it. If you ever go to Fort Mac and meet someone who has lived there for a few decades, they will tell you that the land is greener and the water cleaner.
cyruslosco66
Banned

Post by cyruslosco66 »

if oil companies are so good at cleaning up in alberta why is there billions in abandoned wells ? why are tax payers on the hook to clean them up ?

why do oil companies not pay their property taxes in alberta ? and again that shortfall will be made up by tax payers . looks to me like not only is oil n gas dirty they dont clean up or pay their taxes like the rest of us . :smt045
cyruslosco66
Banned

Post by cyruslosco66 »

oil exe. caught on tape talking about climate change is different that what they said in public :smt045

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/12/clim ... aring.html
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

indianlarry66 wrote:oil exe. caught on tape talking about climate change is different that what they said in public :smt045

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/12/clim ... aring.html

Oh no! Keep typing on that oil based keyboard, hypocrite.
cyruslosco66
Banned

Post by cyruslosco66 »

i will as long as you keep using air and water hypocrite :130:
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

i will as long as you keep using air and water
:135: :dash:
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
cyruslosco66
Banned

Post by cyruslosco66 »

what ? i want clean air and water he wants oil . its not rocket science lol . of course i dont really want my lil pal to not breath or drink water but its as dumb to say both things when i no choice .
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

indianlarry66 wrote:what ? i want clean air and water he wants oil . its not rocket science lol . of course i dont really want my lil pal to not breath or drink water but its as dumb to say both things when i no choice .

Can you try and post something in an English we can all understand please?
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

Lets go Green and screw with the environment more than conventional sources of energy.

SCIENTISTS UNEARTH A CONSEQUENCE OF SOLAR PANELS IN THE SAHARA

"While the black surfaces of solar panels absorb most of the sunlight that reaches them, only a fraction (around 15%) of that incoming energy gets converted to electricity. The rest is returned to the environment as heat."

Covering 20% of the Sahara with solar farms raises local temperatures in the desert by 1.5°C according to our model. At 50% coverage, the temperature increase is 2.5°C. This warming is eventually spread around the globe by the atmosphere and ocean movement, raising the world’s average temperature by 0.16°C for 20% coverage, and 0.39°C for 50% coverage. The global temperature shift is not uniform though – the polar regions would warm more than the tropics, increasing sea ice loss in the Arctic. This could further accelerate warming, as melting sea ice exposes dark water which absorbs much more solar energy.

This massive new heat source in the Sahara reorganizes global air and ocean circulation, affecting precipitation patterns around the world. The narrow band of heavy rainfall in the tropics, which accounts for more than 30% of global precipitation and supports the rainforests of the Amazon and Congo Basin, shifts northward in our simulations. For the Amazon region, this causes droughts as less moisture arrives from the ocean. Roughly the same amount of additional rainfall that falls over the Sahara due to the surface-darkening effects of solar panels is lost from the Amazon. The model also predicts more frequent tropical cyclones hitting North American and East Asian coasts.

Some important processes are still missing from our model, such as dust blown from large deserts. Saharan dust, carried on the wind, is a vital source of nutrients for the Amazon and the Atlantic Ocean. So a greener Sahara could have an even bigger global effect than our simulations suggested.

We are only beginning to understand the potential consequences of establishing massive solar farms in the world’s deserts. Solutions like this may help society transition from fossil energy, but Earth system studies like ours underscore the importance of considering the numerous coupled responses of the atmosphere, oceans, and land surface when examining their benefits and risks.

https://www.inverse.com/science/why-tur ... al-climate
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Two interesting videos shining alight on the so called 97% consensus, and undue faith in Michael Mann's hockey stick.

Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”