Okanagan Gratitude

Strangenorthernbrew
Fledgling

Okanagan Gratitude

Post by Strangenorthernbrew »

My wish here is to start a thread which is more positive and unifying. What do you appreciate about our community? It doesn't need to relate to this post specifically rather than relate to something about the OK you're grateful for.

In this post I'd like to express my gratitude for the men and women of the Okanagan RCMP. They do an outstanding job despite significant daily challenges.

I'm not a police member nor are any of my immediate family, but my God, I cannot imagine a more thankless job. These amazing folks put themselves at risk every day to keep us safe and sleeping securely.

Today I read the Castanet article on the RCMP responding to some of Henry's recent remarks. https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/326114 ... tor#326114.

This article comes on the heels of another one that stated the Vernon RCMP responded to just under 4200 calls during the FOURTH QUARTER ALONE. https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/32 ... 020#324232

Do you realize this incredible group of individuals fight multiple battles on a regular basis while simultaneously keeping our community safe? Between these two articles - to me - it seems the RCMP cannot win. They get flack from the 'authorities above' and they are constantly in contact with people breaking the law 'below'. I wouldn't do well in this environment and I can only marvel at those that stay the course and choose this as their career. They protect me, you, and our community. And usually do it with a smile.

To the dedicated and committed officers of the Okanagan RCMP detachments, I thank you, my family thanks you and I hope to continue sleeping soundly because of your efforts. I cannot express enough my gratitude to you, and your families that support you and your career. I am grateful for you.
“If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings.” ― Leonardo Da Vinci
Strangenorthernbrew
Fledgling

Re: Okanagan Gratitude

C'mon people, I see y'all looking.
Post something you're grateful for. Doesn't matter what it's for. Give us a reason to see something from a new perspective. We do live in a world class community after all.
“If you find from your own experience that something is a fact and it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority and base your reasoning on your own findings.” ― Leonardo Da Vinci
outtawind
Fledgling

Re: Okanagan Gratitude - Agreed!

Post by outtawind »

I'll jump in...

Agree with a toast to the RCMP. They 'climb the hill' every day for us - balancing policing with politics and now public health! Their team receives little substantive support from the courts to enforce the laws our community requires to function - thank you for being there for us and not giving up!

Let me add... toast #2 to the relentless, donors, charitable givers and giving businesses in our community. It is amazing to see the giving and spirit poured back into our towns. From our large anchor firms right to the small new individual proprietors - the local contributions and community support of one-another is really impressive. With people like that our towns have (and continue to) transformed in great ways - we have a heck of a lot to be excited about!
typhoon44
Übergod

Post by typhoon44 »

Definitely thankful for the police but they don't get a pass any more than any other public employee when they mess up.
Fix the naxolone problem.
Strangenorthernbrew
Fledgling

@outtawind..
I agree! There are many hundreds of thousands of dollars that are donated each year in our community. To our community. It is something truly special.

What else are people grateful for?
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

There are several charitable organizations in the community who provide their service to the community even during the pandemic. The people doing most of the work are volunteers.
Strangenorthernbrew
Fledgling

Good recognition Bob. It is amazing how people still manage to find a way to give and support the lesser fortunate in our society, even during a pandemic. Good on them.

Since everyone seems to be bent on arguing with one another (in other threads), I'll give this shout out to the Castanet Mods! I can only imagine how much more work they've been putting into this over the past year. Probably not what they signed up for but I have to say, ALL of you do a great job. There are a lot of strong emotions running wild these days and I'm sure it's not easy to balance unpopular opinions while still allowing everyone their perspective. Keep it up, this is one of the most balanced forums I've seen. And I really appreciate that so thanks eh!

Return to “North Okanagan”