Some sales people are clueless.

Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Some sales people are clueless.

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

My wife and I went shopping for a new stove/range today. We had three or four stores in mind and took with us a printout of reliability and customer satisfaction surveys, which we had read over.

First store.
The sales guy shows us pretty well exactly what my wife wants. Prices are good too. Then he starts to get stupid.
I asked him where this particular brand was made.
Oh, China and South Korea.
I told him we were staying away from Chinese products. His response,
Good luck with that, everything is Chinese or has Chinese parts in it. Hmm, maybe, maybe not.
Then my wife asks him if his store is Canadian.
No large store is Canadian owned. Well guess what buddy, the next store we are going to is a large, BC owned furniture chain.
Then we asked him about another, highly rated brand.
They have nothing but quality products. Then why do you sell it?
My wife mentioned that we had reliability survey printouts from a particular company.
Those aren't worth the paper they're printed on!
Hey buddy, I printed them on my paper and believe them. Okay dear, let's go, off to that BC owned company.

And that's where we bought our new stove/range. Where I looked inside the range and saw Made in South Korea. Which I'm perfectly fine with.

What is it with some sales people that they think it's necessary to put down the customer? The person that just walked in with a credit card and is willing to spend a thousand or more of their hard earned bucks and you put them down. :-X
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Some sales people are clueless.

Post by Bsuds »

bb49 wrote:And that's where we bought our new stove/range. Where I looked inside the range and saw Made in South Korea. Which I'm perfectly fine with.

If you bought a Samsung you might regret it. Nothing but trouble with ours.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Bsuds wrote:
bb49 wrote:And that's where we bought our new stove/range. Where I looked inside the range and saw Made in South Korea. Which I'm perfectly fine with.

Nope, LG.
We ruled out Samsung.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Last time a check GE was built in the US, I'm not sure if any other are built in NA.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Quite a few are still built in North America.

https://www.hunker.com/13410261/which-a ... in-america
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Andy W.

Post by Andy W. »

Bsuds wrote:

Hmmm - - and you are typing your reply (to bb49) on a Samsung phone? :200:
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

bb49 wrote:My wife and I went shopping for a new stove/range today. We had three or four stores in mind and took with us a printout of reliability and customer satisfaction surveys, which we had read over.

First store.
The sales guy shows us pretty well exactly what my wife wants. Prices are good too. Then he starts to get stupid.
I asked him where this particular brand was made.
Oh, China and South Korea.
I told him we were staying away from Chinese products. His response,
Good luck with that, everything is Chinese or has Chinese parts in it. Hmm, maybe, maybe not.
Then my wife asks him if his store is Canadian.
No large store is Canadian owned. Well guess what buddy, the next store we are going to is a large, BC owned furniture chain.
Then we asked him about another, highly rated brand.
They have nothing but quality products. Then why do you sell it?
My wife mentioned that we had reliability survey printouts from a particular company.
Those aren't worth the paper they're printed on!
Hey buddy, I printed them on my paper and believe them. Okay dear, let's go, off to that BC owned company.

And that's where we bought our new stove/range. Where I looked inside the range and saw Made in South Korea. Which I'm perfectly fine with.

What is it with some sales people that they think it's necessary to put down the customer? The person that just walked in with a credit card and is willing to spend a thousand or more of their hard earned bucks and you put them down. :-X
I'm having trouble understanding where he put you down as you call it. And I for the most part agree with what he did tell you although he might have said it in the way that you thought was condescending. But everybody's personality is different in that could have been his personality trait.
And I think he was right that most the big box stores are American owned. He probably wasn't referring to a big store but a big box store which has many franchises.
And I also think he is right when he said most parts do come from China as they actually do.
And as far as your reliability ratings, I question how reliable they're going to be when you're looking at a brand new machine and all the reliability ratings are from machines 2 years and older so you got to take that with a grain of salt. I wouldn't put as much faith in the ratings as you did.
I certainly applaud you for doing your due diligence and homework looking into the brands as I do the same thing and I think everybody should.. And I also do love the fact that you tried to shop as local as you can which I respect and also try to do. Avoid anything Chinese is also my mantra.
But I don't think he did anything wrong or told you anything necessarily inaccurate. Yes he may have said it in such a way that you didn't like it but it doesn't make his statements inaccurate or invalid. If I was a Salesman I would have handled it quite different but that's just a difference of personality and not knowledge of said product.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I have an Eaton's Viking stove that is still working. It came with the house in 2003 and I am terrified of replacing it. Why? Because the Samsung dishwasher I bought in 2011 already leaked by 2019, warrenty long expired. The Whirlpool fridge is still working and it also came with the house. Also terrified of replacing it too. How does one win?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Queen K wrote: I have an Eaton's Viking stove that is still working. It came with the house in 2003 and I am terrified of replacing it. Why? Because the Samsung dishwasher I bought in 2011 already leaked by 2019, warrenty long expired. The Whirlpool fridge is still working and it also came with the house. Also terrified of replacing it too. How does one win?
There is a Viking Canada
https://www.vikingrange.ca/consumer/cat ... ing-ranges
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Andy W. wrote:
Hmmm - - and you are typing your reply (to bb49) on a Samsung phone? :200:
Nope and I do not post on Castanut with a phone...ever.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Queen K wrote:I have an Eaton's Viking stove that is still working. It came with the house in 2003 and I am terrified of replacing it. Why? Because the Samsung dishwasher I bought in 2011 already leaked by 2019, warrenty long expired. The Whirlpool fridge is still working and it also came with the house. Also terrified of replacing it too. How does one win?
It's a crap shoot these days. Appliances are no where near as reliable as the used to be. Granted there are more bells and whistles so more things to possibly go wrong.

Do the research and take your chances.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

GordonH wrote:
Queen K wrote: I have an Eaton's Viking stove that is still working. It came with the house in 2003 and I am terrified of replacing it. Why? Because the Samsung dishwasher I bought in 2011 already leaked by 2019, warrenty long expired. The Whirlpool fridge is still working and it also came with the house. Also terrified of replacing it too. How does one win?
There is a Viking Canada
That's not the same "Viking" brand that was sold at Eaton's. Just coincidental that the name is the same, Viking Range is a LOT higher end. Viking was Eaton's in store brand name, like the Bay's Beaumark and Sears' Kenmore.

Our new house came with all Samsung in the kitchen (the previous owners bought them in 2012) and I'm happy with the fridge, but have already replaced the stove and have had some problems with the dishwasher. I regret not bringing my 30 year old Maytag washer and dryer along in the move, I feel pretty sure the new ones we bought will not last that long.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote: There is a Viking Canada
Catri wrote: That's not the same "Viking" brand that was sold at Eaton's. Just coincidental that the name is the same, Viking Range is a LOT higher end. Viking was Eaton's in store brand name, like the Bay's Beaumark and Sears' Kenmore.

Our new house came with all Samsung in the kitchen (the previous owners bought them in 2012) and I'm happy with the fridge, but have already replaced the stove and have had some problems with the dishwasher. I regret not bringing my 30 year old Maytag washer and dryer along in the move, I feel pretty sure the new ones we bought will not last that long.
Vast majority of the appliances made for Easton’s was manufactured by White.... which later became White-Westinghouse.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I'd share my own experiences with appliances (in my house now) but I'm afraid they might read this and shut down just to spite me.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

When I walk past the 2 Samsung appliances still being used I sometimes say "your next". :biggrin:

Return to “Kamloops”