Greenhouse Workers Treated Like Slaves

cyruslosco66
Banned

Greenhouse Workers Treated Like Slaves

Post by cyruslosco66 »

https://twitter.com/olivia__doggett/sta ... 71904?s=20

talk about a shamefull practice going on . this is what happens in a non union enviroment
m4a ubi free palestine wear a mask support your local first nation band
Boosted632
Banned

Re: Greenhouse Workers Treated Like Slaves

Post by Boosted632 »

Yes how dare they expect them to work
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

indianlarry66 wrote: this is what happens in a non union enviroment
BS! I worked in a non union job for 40 years and we did quite well. Another similar Company went Union and our Company was compensating us better that what they got in their first agreement and continued to do so.

Not all non union jobs are bad.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

indianlarry66 wrote:https://twitter.com/olivia__doggett/sta ... 71904?s=20

talk about a shamefull practice going on . this is what happens in a non union enviroment
Another BS!
My last job was unionized and every single move we made was monitored by computers.
They knew exactly how long it took to do a job, how long it took to start another job.
If your numbers weren't within certain parameters you found yourself in the foreman's office.
Numbers were available for everyone to see.

So here you have it.
Oh BTW, this was a provincial government job, were we had frequent instances of bullying and sexual harassment.
So much for the NDP being saviors of the working man.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

indianlarry66 wrote:https://twitter.com/olivia__doggett/sta ... 71904?s=20

Measuring employees' work performance is a shameful practice? :135:

I assume they are part-time employees and that is why they can be given no work in the next few days as punishment should they not plant fast enough. It appears there is a level they need to meet and if they meet that level they have a job and no worry of termination (those in the blue side of the graph). Clearly, the goal is achievable. Why should the business keep employees that it finds don't perform as well as others?

They are looking for about 450 plants an hour to be planted. Those that are only planting 320 per hour plant are 30% slower than the goal. Some workers plant up to 550 plants per hour, or 40% faster than the ones at risk of no work for 2-3 days.

I think they need to think hard about why they take this job. It must pay very well compared to what they make at home so they put up with this.

If it is determined that this isn't fair then laws need to be created to ensure workers are treated correctly. I suspect it is legal and acceptable to do this for part time work.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I worked on many sites where we punched time clocks in and out, coffee break, lunch, you name it. When I was working nights at the Federal Pioneer plant while going to school they monitored everything we did. What about the poor truck drivers that have their trucks monitored to show how fast they travel, how far they travel, when and where they stop, every move they make. Any good business has some way of monitoring their workers or they won't be in business long. If you can't stand the heat get a job more suitable to your abilities.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

OP can you even express why it's shameful? What's so wrong with a employer tracking the location of an employee? What's the difference vs surveillance cameras? Personally - I'd rather they track me like this than constantly record video like every other workplace. WAY less of an invasion of privacy.

Honestly - what's more shameful is the resistance to it. Only people with something to hide will be concerned. What are you doing that you need to hide it from your employer? Isn't that shameful?
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

If we're going to track everyone's productivity down to the microsecond that should go for all staff members right up to the CEO.

How many minutes did you spend in front of the latte machine Mr Manager? Let's look at the charts and see how much time is spent at weekly basis at the coffee machine shall we? While we're at it let's have a look at how much time you spend answering emails and making sure your words per minute are sufficient.

Oh you're the CEO? The shareholders want to see a minute-by-minute breakdown of your day to make sure it's being spent the most efficiently possible.

Objections? You must be lazy!

Talk about diminishing returns. You'll have people chasing numbers instead of quality work. People spend a good portion of their mental exhaustion trying to game the system, find workarounds the system or fudge the numbers somehow. The staff will fight amongst each other for the easy work / hard work because its all about numbers in the end.

Oh - but it gives a data company a juicy contract to sell a company and it gives somebody at the company a job to watch everybody's "productivity".
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Yeah, tracking productivity has zero to do with Union or no Union and nothing to do with "slavery".
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Vacancyrate wrote:If we're going to track everyone's productivity down to the microsecond that should go for all staff members right up to the CEO.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+man ... e&ie=UTF-8

CEO's don't need tracking. They got to their position through being a self starter, not someone who needs to be managed.

The manager of these employees who are tracked at work well be busy tracking them, reporting on progress, dealing with the site workers, ensuring the workload is even for all and ensuring they all have the tools and supplies to carry out their job. If the manager isn't busy all day they will be given more staff to manage or other jobs as required.

You push your lazy attitude onto everyone. Just because you can't handle being tracked and want to be lazy you think everyone else is being lazy too.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Sparki55 wrote:CEO's don't need tracking. They got to their position through being a self starter
Or nepotism.

Sounds like laziness talking.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 6th, 2021, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Vacancyrate wrote:
Sparki55 wrote:CEO's don't need tracking. They got to their position through being a self starter
Or nepotism.

Sounds like laziness talking.
Yea, the world mega corporations are run by people who got the job from their uncle? :135:

... And the uncle got the job above the nephew from being someone's second cousin?

Whether we agree if not, it's fact most people of power work for their position. If this wasn't true then people in power would be outsmarted and overtaken by those who can. Power struggle, it's for the intellectual, used to be for the physical.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Sparki55 wrote: Yea, the world mega corporations are run by people who got the job from their uncle? :135:

... And the uncle got the job above the nephew from being someone's second cousin?
In North Amercia by age 30 about 22% of children will be working for the same employer at the same time as their fathers or Mothers.

Some notable mentions that come to mind.

The Waltons, The Krafts, The Hilfigers, The Mars's, The Murdoch's, The Forbes's, The Clinton's, The Obama's, The Bushes, Owner of Rolling Stone appointed his 22 year old son as head of http://www.rollingstone.com with no experience, Redstones (owner of Viacom, CBS, Paramount), McGraw Hill (textbook empire)... to name a few.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

1/3 of the companies on the S&P 500 are family owned.

Even in Canada, our very own Prime Minister is the leader because of his family name and not his drama teaching skills.

If the lowest tier workers need to be monitored, then the monitoring should apply to everyone.

Otherwise this is just a grift to sell businesses.

Return to “Canada”