Dust advisory

Frisk
Guru

Dust advisory

Post by Frisk »

Why do you north okanaganers get so many dust advisories? Does the air not circulate as good in that part of the valley or something?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/32 ... ies#326764
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Dust advisory

Post by OKkayak »

Vernon is brutal for dust, has a lot to do with the poor airflow in the valley. Same with smoke in the summer.

When I lived there, my cars air filter would be black within a year. Moving to the Lower Mainland, 2 years in and its still spotless.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

OKkayak wrote:Vernon is brutal for dust, has a lot to do with the poor airflow in the valley. Same with smoke in the summer.

When I lived there, my cars air filter would be black within a year. Moving to the Lower Mainland, 2 years in and its still spotless.
Bet it's full of water! :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Frisk wrote:Why do you north okanaganers get so many dust advisories? Does the air not circulate as good in that part of the valley or something?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/32 ... ies#326764
It's because the sensor is at the Science Center, which is right along highway 6 and 25th Ave/Okanagan Ave, Huge trucks come barrelling down this street to meet with highway 97. Trucks going the other way are turning the corner and accelerating uphill. It's a massive bottleneck.

If the sensor were located in a more reasonable location like it is Kamloops or Kelowna, there wouldn't be so many dust advisories.

Kelowna's sensor is on KLO Road, which is off the beaten path, but if the sensor were situated along highway 97, Kelowna would also be under constant dust advisories.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Bsuds wrote: Bet it's full of water! :biggrin:
LOL, never thought about that. Its in a constant rinse cycle [icon_lol2.gif]
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Glacier wrote:Kelowna's sensor is on KLO Road, which is off the beaten path, but if the sensor were situated along highway 97, Kelowna would also be under constant dust advisories.
Depending on the location on KLO maybe. The section between Lakeshore and Benvoulin is pretty busy.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I used to be able to leave my furnace filter for several months between replacement. Now I have to do it every month.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Bsuds wrote:
Glacier wrote:Kelowna's sensor is on KLO Road, which is off the beaten path, but if the sensor were situated along highway 97, Kelowna would also be under constant dust advisories.
Depending on the location on KLO maybe. The section between Lakeshore and Benvoulin is pretty busy.
It is quite a distance off the street compared to Vernon as well. probably far enough off not to get covered in dust by logging trucks flying by...
kairquality.png
vairquality.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

OKkayak wrote:Vernon is brutal for dust, has a lot to do with the poor airflow in the valley. Same with smoke in the summer.

weird as I have always gone about 5 years on any air filter in any of my many vehicles in vernon ; vernon is adverse to
low pressure systems that why farmers can only Burn on certain barometric pressure days and why people should not be allowed to burn wood stoves in vernon
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

These dust advisories happen every spring when the sand is still on the road and the atmosphere cools in the valley bottom overnight and perpetuates the temperature inversion. And the same thing happens a few weeks later in the central and northern interior in valley bottoms. Revelstoke, Golden, Williams Lake, Quesnel. Once the warmer weather arrives and ends the inversion for part of the day, and the sand is gone, the air quality improves.

Prince George's air quality is interesting because they have sensors in the valley bottom and up on the plateau. Worse air quality in the valley bottom and much better on the plateau above the inversion.

Take a close look at the sand on the edge of the roads. Coarser material near the curb, very fine powder even a foot or two away where the traffic pounds it to dust. The solution is to get that sand off the road as soon as possible. But City Hall likes to leave it there for awhile in case we get a late snowfall. Also, street sweepers need water to spray at the dust they raise and need temperatures above zero C. Solution: the sand can be removed by a machine that actually vacuums and doesn't need to use water. Yes, these vacuums are more expensive than the brooms. I have seen one of these vacuums in use in Vernon along with the sweepers.
outtawind
Fledgling

Post by outtawind »

Does the problem have anything to do with quality of the 'sand' they put down? I was not keeping track 20 years ago - but we did not seem to have the dust problems we do now.

Of course, could be more cars, more awareness etc - but is there anything different about the sand used - seems it is full of very fine particulate.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

dontrump wrote: weird as I have always gone about 5 years on any air filter in any of my many vehicles in vernon ; vernon is adverse to
low pressure systems that why farmers can only Burn on certain barometric pressure days and why people should not be allowed to burn wood stoves in vernon
You're lucky, mine got replaced at least once a year. Cabin filter, not so much, but air filter, nasty [icon_lol2.gif]
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

OKkayak wrote:
dontrump wrote: weird as I have always gone about 5 years on any air filter in any of my many vehicles in vernon ; vernon is adverse to
You're lucky, mine got replaced at least once a year. Cabin filter, not so much, but air filter, nasty [icon_lol2.gif]
nope lived in vernon for 58 years worked on cars my whole life never replaced air filters at anywhere near the rate your claiming
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The truth about Vernon's bad air quality: https://questioningthedata.wordpress.co ... r-quality/
- Douglas Murray

Return to “North Okanagan”