After Queen Elizabeth leaves us, should Canada end monarchy?

Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: After Queen Elizabeth leaves us, should Canada end monar

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

bob vernon wrote:I respect Elizabeth, but once Charles becomes King, should Canada finally grow up and be its own country? It would require ALL ten provinces and the Feds to agree on amending the Constitution and that's a big ask, but the thought of having King Charles and Queen Camilla as our heads of state is too much. And yes, Camilla will get the title of Queen. Too much. Snort.
Yeah, keep them, because in many ways kicking them out is no different than kicking your older grandparents out, and eliminating all reference of them from your lives.
Grandparents and ancestors are family. Canada and the United Kingdom are family.

And we are our own country.

But opening up the constitution has it's advantages.
Can you imagine telling Quebec that they are no better than any other province, no different, no special status.
Oh my, that is so tempting. :yahoo:
But of course that would require a Conservative-leaning government in Ottawa to initiate it.

As for Queen Elizabeth's successor, it would be a very popular decision if she called on William to take over.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

oneh2obabe wrote:
my5cents wrote:After listening to last night's interview of Harry and Megan, maybe Great Britain should drop the monarchy too.
Interview with lots of accusations and innuendoes but no names or proof positive of what she/he said. True, some of what was said might be factual but there was lots proven false if you fact check.
I didn't watch it. I have no use for Oprah or that little B of a Meghan, or *bleep*-whipped Harry. But I did read a bit about it, as well as following her trials and tribulations over the years. :cry:

And of course there's racism in the Royal Family. They're no different than any other family.
And Meghan jumped all over it, using the fact that she's half coloured to squeeze a few more tears out of her dwindling number of followers. :cry:
Yeah, here's a woman that marries a prince, than cries and whines, first about the lifestyle she has to lead and it's demands, than about how she can't lead a private life. So what does she do, she goes on TV and does an interview that would win an Academy Award if it were on a soap opera.

I honestly don't think she will ever be allowed back in England.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

oneh2obabe wrote:
my5cents wrote:After listening to last night's interview of Harry and Megan, maybe Great Britain should drop the monarchy too.
Interview with lots of accusations and innuendoes but no names or proof positive of what she/he said. True, some of what was said might be factual but there was lots proven false if you fact check.
Interesting, do we demand proof positive when the British tabloids make statements like they have ?

Was she and Harry lying about the Royals removing the security for Harry ? He was born into royalty. What about Archie ? He's the grandson of the queen !

You made a black and white (no pun intended) statement, "there was lots proven false if you fact check", OK what ? There's lots just give one accusation proven false.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

my5cents wrote:Was she and Harry lying about the Royals removing the security for Harry ? He was born into royalty. What about Archie ? He's the grandson of the queen !

You made a black and white (no pun intended) statement, "there was lots proven false if you fact check", OK what ? There's lots just give one accusation proven false.
Meghan Markle stated the royal family “pulled security” soon after her and Prince Harry’s move to Canada. While in Canada they were provided taxpayer-funded security by the RCMP until they moved to California. What she failed to mention was their decision to step down as royals automatically disqualified them from receiving the taxpayer-funded security extended to working members of the royal family. Decisions about security are made by the government and the Metropolitan Police, rather than the Palace.

Meghan said she had wanted Archie to be a prince so he could have police protection, and expressed her shock at the idea of the first person of colour in the family not being titled in the same way as other grandchildren. In fact, he is the Queen's great grandchild - Harry is her grandchild. Archie is not entitled to the title Prince or HRH until Charles becomes king. In 1917, King George V decided to limit the number of royal highnesses within the family. He decreed that only the children of the monarch, and grandchildren of the monarch in the male line, would be given the title.

In May 2019 Harry and Meghan stated they considered Archie a private citizen. The couple insisted he be styled Master adding they were not using a title for their son in the hope he would live a more normal life.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Harry & Meghan need to just move on with their lives... yes sooner or later, there New California residents will be found out.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Isn't that really what she's all about though? Picking out the Jelly Beans she doesn't like and expecting to keep all the ones she does?
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

:200:
mikest2 wrote:
jimmy4321 wrote:Although I'd like to see us drop the monarchy it seems like it would be an incredible pain in the butt to end it, so *bleep* it.
As far as the Oprah spectacle, nothing special or unusual come of it.
I'm a bit surprised of the racism part but then historically monarchs are not known for their diversity :200: .

I'm just glad these days Oprah's name only comes up once or twice a year.
It's odd that you keep throwing the racism thing out there, The Queen and I are no more responsible for our forefather's transgressions than you are for your forefathers. The Queen was born into a duty of servitude, I would have bailed just Harry.
First off I mentioned racism once and it shouldn't be a shocker as Meghan is a person of color from the US and though times have changed i imagine there's some expectations. It's not like these kids aren't given the opportunities to meet women in their class. It's wrong but it exist.
IMO this is just a stunt to gauge reaction and to catapult something into the US mainstream.

The fact that we get the Oprah's shock & awe just makes this all the more rediculous
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

The Daily Telegraph’s headline was “Harry and Meghan Embody the Woke Generation,” a quote from an opinion piece by Nick Timothy, who had served as former Prime Minister Theresa May’s joint chief of staff.

Inside, his column carried the headline:

“Harry and Meghan Are the Natural Leaders of the New Woke Global Elite.”

His critical column said that “victimhood, sanctimony and hypocrisy are the new markers of class in our postmodern landscape.”
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

jimmy4321 wrote: First off I mentioned racism once and it shouldn't be a shocker as Meghan is a person of color from the US and though times have changed i imagine there's some expectations. It's not like these kids aren't given the opportunities to meet women in their class. It's wrong but it exist.
IMO this is just a stunt to gauge reaction and to catapult something into the US mainstream.

The fact that we get the Oprah's shock & awe just makes this all the more rediculous
Meghan pulls out the race card when it suits. She identified as Caucasian her whole life until people started questioning her motives, then BAM ... the race card makes an appearance.

jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I'm just saying its not a stretch in this case, I don't follow her enough (ar all) to know these things.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

British Columbia is full of descendants of Remittance Men, the men sent to the New World from old elite families where only the eldest man inherits. The second sons and third and fourth sons etc., were only valuable if the the eldest died without an heir of his own. The Remittance men had to carve out life here but also recieved monies from back home in order to keep up appearances for the British aristocracy.

I see Harry as one giant Remittance Man, encouraged not too subtley to get out of the nest and away from the limelight that is really about his brother and Kate. It was made just that uncomfortable for them.

The whole theater with Oprah is also a giant world distraction from covid, vaccine passports and the unravelling of the control lorded over us.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

bb49 wrote: Yeah, keep them, because in many ways kicking them out is no different than kicking your older grandparents out, and eliminating all reference of them from your lives.
Grandparents and ancestors are family. Canada and the United Kingdom are family.

And we are our own country.
The attention-seeking by Meghan and Harry aside (maybe they needed the money – they did get paid for the interview, right?) I’m inclined to agree. The monarchy has no political power in Canada, but they are part of our culture, history and tradition. Just my opinion, of course, but I think it is good thing that we belong to the Commonwealth.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

two_shoes1mit wrote:I agree with you. When the protocol was broken, and the infamous Charles was granted marriage to Camilla, as a consequence, he should not have the option to succeed Elizabeth. It leaves a rather bad taste with how he conducted himself during his marriage to Diana. Integrity was lost, and he failed to support and assist this loss his two sons endured.
I think, in part, evidence of this reflects in the Oprah, Harry, Megan interview. IMHO, Harry is a damaged man as a result. Megan............that's another story.

All things aside, I believe Harry suffers from PTSD due to the loss of his mother. Megan doesn't come close to Diana's calibre, yet he seems to want to replay this scenario over and over in comparison.

I believe if the monarchy is to continue with support on both sides of the pond................. William and Kate should succeed the Queen.
I don't think that folks like Charles and Camilla will pass up the opportunity to take the throne. This isn't a popularity contest and William and Kate won't get their chance for another 20 years or so. Some of us hope the comedy show of Charles and Cammy finish off the family credibility. This is Canada. There's no need to continue the worship of a family who lives across the Atlantic and shows up here for a few days every few years.
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

Our family watched this and it was an example of absolute privilege and victim hood.
Megan is a spoiled little child.
She should try living a life of poverty and have to actually work to put food on the table.
She has lived privileged like most will never experience and some how found a way to turn it into victim hood.
But, hey, she's not alone for doing it.
And Ophra, She's just a victim hood pusher.
"If I find out who's been running this country for the last 8.5 yrs into the ground, there will be hell to pay",,,,,,,,,Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

bob vernon wrote: And yes, Camilla will get the title of Queen.
A quick Google says that's not going to happen.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Canada”