After Queen Elizabeth leaves us, should Canada end monarchy?

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: After Queen Elizabeth leaves us, should Canada end monar

Post by GordonH »

^^^ currently it is Queen Elizabeth & Prince Philip.... not King Philip, Camilla will have to settle for princess.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

If getting rid of the monarchy will eliminate the tax dollar sucking leach position of governor general in Canada I am all for it. The latest waste of skin in that position sucked enough and will continue to suck enough money to reach the moon !!!! That other waste of skin former CBC employee is also an embarrassment. Feds need to cut this off at the umbilical cord. I will use the knife if asked to. :swear: :swear: :swear:
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:^^^ currently it is Queen Elizabeth & Prince Philip.... not King Philip, Camilla will have to settle for princess.
That's more because a King is higher than a Queen, so he can't be called the King.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Noisy Boater wrote:If getting rid of the monarchy will eliminate the tax dollar sucking leach position of governor general in Canada I am all for it. The latest waste of skin in that position sucked enough and will continue to suck enough money to reach the moon !!!! That other waste of skin former CBC employee is also an embarrassment. Feds need to cut this off at the umbilical cord. I will use the knife if asked to. :swear: :swear: :swear:
Even if we did cut the umbilical cord, you honestly think you'd be seeing a single penny from those taxes?
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

If the queen had berries she would be king. [icon_lol2.gif]
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

GordonH wrote:^^^ currently it is Queen Elizabeth & Prince Philip.... not King Philip, Camilla will have to settle for princess.
Camilla :cuss: I'm willing to bet is the one who made remarks about Archie's skin color before he was even born. I can't stand her or Charles. Princess Camilla :200: what a thought, more like the evil stepmother Camilla.

As far as I'm concerned I agree with eliminating the Governor General position whether we see any of the tax money saved or not. At least it can go to something more worthwhile.

I can't see the Queen lasting all that much longer given her age, and once her demon spawn gets to be King, the monarchy will self destruct anyway. The Queen is what's been holding it together, and that's somewhat obvious given her reluctance to date to put Charles in charge.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Urban Cowboy wrote:Charles in charge.
LOL

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote: ^^^ currently it is Queen Elizabeth & Prince Philip.... not King Philip, Camilla will have to settle for princess.
Urban Cowboy wrote: Camilla :cuss: I'm willing to bet is the one who made remarks about Archie's skin color before he was even born. I can't stand her or Charles. Princess Camilla :200: what a thought, more like the evil stepmother Camilla.

As far as I'm concerned I agree with eliminating the Governor General position whether we see any of the tax money saved or not. At least it can go to something more worthwhile.

I can't see the Queen lasting all that much longer given her age, and once her demon spawn gets to be King, the monarchy will self destruct anyway. The Queen is what's been holding it together, and that's somewhat obvious given her reluctance to date to put Charles in charge.
Best thing for whole Royal Family would be, is once Elizabeth is gone... old Charles would also kick the bucket. Get some young blood at the head of House of Windsor.

Definitely remove monarchy from Canada.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

OKkayak wrote:
Noisy Boater wrote:If getting rid of the monarchy will eliminate the tax dollar sucking leach position of governor general in Canada I am all for it. The latest waste of skin in that position sucked enough and will continue to suck enough money to reach the moon !!!! That other waste of skin former CBC employee is also an embarrassment. Feds need to cut this off at the umbilical cord. I will use the knife if asked to. :swear: :swear: :swear:
Even if we did cut the umbilical cord, you honestly think you'd be seeing a single penny from those taxes?
So true. You are 100% correct. Reminds me of the huge savings we were rewarded with when they took the toll off Hwy 5 [icon_lol2.gif]
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Bsuds wrote:
bob vernon wrote: And yes, Camilla will get the title of Queen.
A quick Google says that's not going to happen.

You're correct. I was depending on information that was a few years old. A few years ago, Charles wanted her to have the title of Queen when he ascended to the throne. That was downgraded to Queen Consort. The public still didn't like that and they tried Princess. And THAT was downgraded again to Princess Consort. Well, she is a consort. Let's see how low they can go.

Back to the subject of Canada rejecting the monarchy. After doing some more research, I'd LIKE to see Canada rid themselves of the royals, but it just isn't going to happen. Any rejection of them would require Constitutional amendments, meaning full agreement of all provinces. But even that isn't the greatest hurdle. The absolute greatest hurdle goes back to all the treaties between Canada's indigenous people and the Crown. These treaties are the basic foundation of Canada and they state that if the CROWN, not the government of Canada, withdraws from the land, the land reverts back to the indigenous people. So if the Crown and Canada sever ties, the indigenous people could and would go to the Supreme Court and demand ownership of all Federal lands. No Canadian government would go down that road. So Chas and Cammie can continue to make absolute fools of themselves and they will remain as our heads of state.

Many people think that William and Kate should somehow take the throne. But this isn't an Entertainment Tonight contest. It's hereditary royalty and Chas is next in line. Period.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Trudeau probably knows better than most how much of a headache it would be for Canada to actually purge itself of the last vestiges of monarchical government. As outlined below, unless you’re planning an armed coup of the Canadian government, becoming a republic is an utter logistical nightmare.

It’s nearly impossible for Canada to switch out its head of state

All it took for Barbados to ditch Queen Elizabeth II as their head of state was a vote from their 30-member House of Assembly . Ireland booted out King George VI in 1949 with little more than a declaration from the Dáil Éireann, the country’s lower house of Parliament.

But Canada, for better or for worse, has “arguably has the most difficult to amend constitution in the world,” in the words of University of Waterloo constitutional expert Emmett Macfarlane. Under Section 41 of the Constitution Act , which was passed in 1982 by the Liberal government of Pierre Trudeau, the “office of the Queen” cannot be changed unless it is approved by Parliament and “the legislative assembly of each province.”

This means that the House of Commons, the Senate and all 10 provinces must sign off on any plan to make Canada a republic. Simply put, there has been no major peacetime issue in the history of confederation that could have garnered that level of consent The Constitution itself, notably, was passed despite Quebec never signing it. Even if Canada awoke to a world where every single provincial legislature suddenly concurred with firing the monarch, it’s reasonable to assume that Alberta, Quebec, and any number of other provinces would make Ottawa pay dearly for their “yes” vote.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/a ... li=AAggNb9
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Cracking open the constitution for amendments failed in 1987 and 1992, and no one has dared try since.

The logistics of dropping the monarchy are extremely difficult for a number of reasons, including the abovementioned "Crown" as Treaty holder. Even if the Crown was separated from the monarchy, and became synonymous with "The State/Dominion of Canada as self-governing entity", with the Governor General becoming the sole Head of State, there's still the bigger issue of provincial infighting.

The facts are that the monarchy really doesn't cost us much (most of the costs Canada pays are for maintenance of government buildings in Canada), especially in relation to whatever concessions various provinces will try and grind out of the Federal government as part of any constitutional reopening.

At this point, I basically consider the monarchy as "The Real Housewives of Buckingham" - silly people high on their own sense of self-importance, kind of fun to watch, but ultimately of less than no impact to my day to day life. I don't like the fact that our ultimate governing authority is a hereditary title passed down among one unelected family, but their social contract at this point effectively limits their powers to ceremonial.
cyruslosco66
Banned

Post by cyruslosco66 »

canada will never vote to oust the crown as settler canada depends on the crown to exist.

without the crown , canada is just first nations land with a bunch of tresspassers on it including me :smt045
m4a ubi free palestine wear a mask support your local first nation band
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

bob vernon wrote: You're correct. I was depending on information that was a few years old. A few years ago, Charles wanted her to have the title of Queen when he ascended to the throne. That was downgraded to Queen Consort. The public still didn't like that and they tried Princess. And THAT was downgraded again to Princess Consort. Well, she is a consort. Let's see how low they can go.
I could live with "Royal Hussy" or "Court Jester".
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

jimmy4321 wrote:Although I'd like to see us drop the monarchy it seems like it would be an incredible pain in the butt to end it, so *bleep* it.
As far as the Oprah spectacle, nothing special or unusual come of it.
I'm a bit surprised of the racism part but then historically monarchs are not known for their diversity :200: .

I'm just glad these days Oprah's name only comes up once or twice a year.
I'm with you on this one!!

Not sure if racism should even be a issue here. I think the issue is one young woman who was not prepared for the seat she took.

When ever things don't go your way, use the race card! As for Oprah, I used to think she was a intelligent lady. After hearing some of the interview, I lost respect for her.

Don't play phycologist unless you are schooled in it! Oh and Harry's wife needs one in my opinion. I do have some schooling, but no PHD on this issue!

Return to “Canada”