Lumby Whats it Like To Live There?

Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Lumby Whats it Like To Live There?

Post by Hmmm »

Thinking of moving to Lumby. Whats it like? I know its a small town and thats what appeals to me. Also we love Mabel and Sugar lakes... So what is life like there?
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Even Steven
Guru

Re: Lumby Whats it Like To Live There?

Post by Even Steven »

Ever seen Deliverance movie?
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Hmmm wrote:Thinking of moving to Lumby. Whats it like? I know its a small town and thats what appeals to me. Also we love Mabel and Sugar lakes... So what is life like there?
Haven't lived in Lumby. But have a couple of friends who do, and have visited the community on numerous occasions.

Honestly - Lumby is just like any other small community in the valley. Can't really describe it any more than that. Strong hockey focus - great youth hockey teams, etc.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

25 minutes from Vernon so really, it's no different than living in Vernon other than you have to drive 25 minutes. Oh, and houses are half the price. Well, maybe not half, but certainly $150,000 less. Huge boom going in Lumby right now with a lot of new houses going up. Also, a new trail built in the field the city owns is what I'm told.

Living out of Lumby limits means lower taxes, but you might not get as good internet or cell coverage. (also you'd have to have your own well, septic, garbage, and recycling).

People have a lot more sex in Lumby (at least judging by how many families have 4 kids). Or maybe it's just cheaper so people can afford kids, I dunno.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Glacier wrote:People have a lot more sex in Lumby (at least judging by how many families have 4 kids). Or maybe it's just cheaper so people can afford kids, I dunno.
Or just too dumb to know better. :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

If you're still working and need to commute to Vernon or wherever, realize that you'll be throwing on 50kms a day so thats a lot of cost when it comes to fuel and wear and tear on the car.
NotNorthAnymore
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by NotNorthAnymore »

Hmmm wrote:Thinking of moving to Lumby. Whats it like? I know its a small town and thats what appeals to me. Also we love Mabel and Sugar lakes... So what is life like there?
Not that cheap anymore - A corner lot rancher sold in 2 days at asking price of $590ish.
Others are going at over $600K.
A realtor friend tells me that almost everything is going for Asking and above and no or very few conditions.
If you want to move here make sure you have your mortgage money preapproved and ready to write a cheque.
Prices have just about doubled in a 10 year span.

There is a new subdivision being built now, but no idea on what the final plans are as they are just putting in services now.
Otherwise it is just like any other bedroom community outside of the big centre.
There are people that live in Lumby and work in Kelowna and Vernon.
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

NotNorthAnymore wrote:
Not that cheap anymore - A corner lot rancher sold in 2 days at asking price of $590ish.
Others are going at over $600K.
A realtor friend tells me that almost everything is going for Asking and above and no or very few conditions.
If you want to move here make sure you have your mortgage money preapproved and ready to write a cheque.
Prices have just about doubled in a 10 year span.

There is a new subdivision being built now, but no idea on what the final plans are as they are just putting in services now.
Otherwise it is just like any other bedroom community outside of the big centre.
There are people that live in Lumby and work in Kelowna and Vernon.
I know someone who just bought a house in Lumby on 3 acres for 390,000 with a new house on it. Also, you can buy a city lot for $80,000. But I do agree, prices have absolutely rocketed up in the past year, so good luck finding something like that now!

A year ago nothing was selling for over 500,000, and now that's pretty normal. In fact, house prices in small towns have gone up FAR faster in the past 2 years than they have in the cities. Eg. Lumby up 9% in the past year versus 2-3% for Vernon and Kelowna. Also, rural Lumby and out towards Cherryville is up 20% in the past year.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “North Okanagan”