Zeitgeist!

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
National_Scar
Board Meister

Zeitgeist!

Post by National_Scar »

anyone here ever heard of this or seen the movie/documentary? thoughts? Opinions?
definately an interesting, thought provoking subject.

I find this definately puts all Religion into a new perspective.
I am a christian but this opens up for a mutitude of new questions.
does God not say somewhere along the ways to ask questions?
"Allowing a materialist into your life can show you the true value of friendship.....Right down to the last penny" -G A M-
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I saw that video. I also thought it was quite interesting.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
National_Scar
Board Meister

Post by National_Scar »

Just finished watching the rest of it.. definately scary..
It really didnt put alot of emphasis on the word "Zeitgeist" though. I would've like to have learned more about its meaning and origins..

guess I cant trust something as simple as Wikipedia in this case.. I can only imagine what distorted info gets applied on there.. Lol..
"Allowing a materialist into your life can show you the true value of friendship.....Right down to the last penny" -G A M-
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I've been watching parts of the movie for a few days now. Pretty alarming stuff. I just finished the section on 9/11. Everyone should check this show out.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

I threw in the towel. No more religion for me. Wasn't a real believer anyways but now I am definetely not. I see someone graffittied billboards on bridge hill with Zeitgeist the other day.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Can someone post the link to that vid?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
cerealkiller
Übergod

Post by cerealkiller »

I don't try to imagine a personal God; it suffices to stand in awe at the structure of the world, insofar as it allows our inadequate senses to appreciate it.
A.Einstein
National_Scar
Board Meister

Post by National_Scar »

They spoke alot about the religions and there similarities! it was really interesting!

I still stand in my belief.. I do believe that at given times it was used and abused to manipulate and guide societies to culturally go a certain way.
in my mind though, there are still way to many things that stand out as un answered or at least unanswerable by scientific means.

How, in any way as a society, are we even close to mature enough to say that there isnt other plains. I think (and laugh at the thought) that we think we can even comprehend what hasnt been discovered.

I'm convinced without a doubt that there is a spirit plain of sorts and would love for someone to prove me wrong based on my experiences.

as for the govnt manipulation of the masses, thats what intrigues me..
when they play out the scenarios and theories the way they have, it definately gets you wondering. When your not smart enough, or have been brainwashed into submision of your own thoughts, its to easy to accept suggestion.
Amor vincit omnia
Fledgling

Post by Amor vincit omnia »

That's the other side of the debate? To accept Christianity because it's all we have?
Last edited by Amor vincit omnia on Feb 11th, 2008, 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scynite
Board Meister

Post by Scynite »

It's just another piece of information I have assimilated in my quest for The Truth.
Don't get so mad, it's just my opinion.
bshemley41

Post by bshemley41 »

Zeitgeist was a major eye opener for me too. As a young kid (I mean young) What I believed in was the planets and the sun! that was my passion with thoughts of being a astronaut. When you look at all ancient societies there religion was the movement of celestial bodies through the sky. The only reason we live is because of the star we call our sun. The bible and all other prophetic books of religion have so many references to the sky. The thoughts brought forth in Zeitgeist of the corrupt banking system and the MEN BEHIND THE PICTURE bring forth the Cancer of humans. These are the inbreeding royal bloodlines that lust for power at any cost regardless of circumstance. In the near future you can see the Money system failing and the rich elite buying up stocks at a penny just as they did in october 1929. If you liked zeitgeist there is many more truth oriented videos on the internet that have helped me. END GAME by alex jones is a great movie that shows the time lines of elite trading, to the plan for us in the future.
andrew_r_mcintosh
Fledgling

Post by andrew_r_mcintosh »

Endgame was a little too bias.....
Terror storm is a better vid.
Why we fight is really good. Aired on cbc a bunch.

http://zeitgeistmovie.com/zday.htm
There are currently 2 viewing in kelowna right now.

If the 9/11 section of zeitgeist hit you hard, go do a search on google video. About a year ago I sat down for several weeks and watched almost every vid I could about 9/11....scary stuff.

I've never been a religious man but I don't think that zeitgeist should make you throw away your faith.
There are some great teachings in the bible. Fantastic ways of living your life. Zeitgeist is simply attempting to tell you not to let religion be who you are.

Human being are wonderful, powerful creachers capable of love and complex reasoning.
Don't grab on to the first thing you see and sell yourself to it.
Question everything. Even yourself.
Abortions for some, tiny american flags for others.
tawnylee
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Zeitgeist!

Post by tawnylee »

If you enjoy the other possiblity theory (govt vs. terrorism) on 9/11, google "9/11 World Trade Center Demolition Mystery: (It's from Azureus Vuze, so you might have to d/l that program)
I'm pretty sure it's just the shortened version of Loose Change if you've seen that...
While I don't follow religion, I think Zeitgeist played on some great points about Christianity and where it came from. I have another thread going on about Zeitgeist in Arts and Entertainment, and wrote about how I think religious people just use religion as their be all end all and don't put enough "faith" in themselves. It's one thing to believe in something if you have proof that it exsists and can actually help you in life, but another to throw all your hope and dreams into the "heavens" hoping that "He" does all the work for you. Saying that, do any Christians here feel differently about their religion after seeing Zeitgeist, or do you think that the "devil" made that movie to test your faith?
“When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hold on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.”
~Harriet Beecher Stowe
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Re:

Post by dirtrider »

Al Terego Sr. wrote:They spoke alot about the religions and there similarities! it was really interesting!

I still stand in my belief.. I do believe that at given times it was used and abused to manipulate and guide societies to culturally go a certain way.
in my mind though, there are still way to many things that stand out as un answered or at least unanswerable by scientific means.

How, in any way as a society, are we even close to mature enough to say that there isnt other plains. I think (and laugh at the thought) that we think we can even comprehend what hasnt been discovered.

I'm convinced without a doubt that there is a spirit plain of sorts and would love for someone to prove me wrong based on my experiences.

I just watched part 1 of the film....very interesting and educational. Thanks for the heads up and you too, Tawnylee.

Carl Jung had a theory about the origin of all religions, he called it the "collective unconscious", "....In short, Jung found that cultures, independent of each other, separated by time and geography, share myths and symbols so much alike that it cannot be mere coincidence. He concluded human beings are all born with the psychological makeup that expresses itself in particular myths and symbols, the collective unconscious. The Jungian interpretation of religion views all religious experience as a psychological phenomenon, and regards the personal experience of God as indistinguishable, for scientific purposes, as a communication with one's own unconscious mind.

http://xrl.us/bgrb7

http://www.crystalinks.com/jung.html

I wouldn't be at all suprised if one of his followers were involved in the religious part of the movie. The religious part of the movie was positively Jungian.
bdbnkr

Re: Zeitgeist!

Post by bdbnkr »

tawnylee wrote:While I don't follow religion, I think Zeitgeist played on some great points about Christianity and where it came from. I have another thread going on about Zeitgeist in Arts and Entertainment, and wrote about how I think religious people just use religion as their be all end all and don't put enough "faith" in themselves. It's one thing to believe in something if you have proof that it exsists and can actually help you in life, but another to throw all your hope and dreams into the "heavens" hoping that "He" does all the work for you. Saying that, do any Christians here feel differently about their religion after seeing Zeitgeist, or do you think that the "devil" made that movie to test your faith?

I think it was definately put together by some one who confuses the traditions of Christianity with with the actual core of the Christian faith. Films like this really rock the faith of many Christians, but that is not all bad.

It is common knowledge that early Christians adopted many non Christian traditions in order to make their faith more appealing to others. An example of this is Christmas. It is very unlikely that Christ was born on Dec 25th. However when the first evangelists entered the gentile world they discovered that many "pagan" religions celebrated a mid winter festival. Instaead of asking these people to give up their faith they adopted it as the time when they would celebrate the birth of Christ. I do not think many modern Christians realize the extent that early Christians went to make their faiths appealing to others. Many madern biblical scholars accept that Paul's writings provide the earliest recorded and most acurate account of the early Christian church. There are many things that we can take away from Paul's writings that call into question the acuracy of the gospels. For example, no where does Paul confirm that Christ was born of a virgin. No where does Paul mention that Jesus was born in Bethleham. No were does Paul confirm that Christ's rise from the grave was physical... in fact much of his writing about the resurection implies that it was spiritual. It is very possible (and we will probably never know for sure) that these things were added by later authors in order to make Christ appeal to more people. For example the virgin birth was viewed by some to fullfill a rather vague old testament prophecy, it was likely added to make Jesus appeal more to the Jews and to create a similarity between Christ and other religions from Egypt etc. Bethleham was King David's home town. As a decendent of David his birth in Belthleham was strengthened by being born there. A physical resurrection is a much simpler concept to grasp than a spritual one. It was and is comforting to believe that we are going to be raised from the dead to reside in a physical heaven. The concept of a spritual afterlife was and is more than many can fathom... thus the accounts in the gospels present us with a physical Jesus.

All of that being said none of it undermines the core of the Christian faith. Justification provided by faith in Christ Jesus. There is no physical proof of this as faith is only realized through personal revelation. I have no illusions about "Him" doing it all for me. I just recognize that I cannot do it all by myself. Many Christians make the mistake that be believing that the many blessings bestowed on us by our faith are related to having a comfortable, happy life. This is not true. God does not promise life will be easy. He promises that His Grace is sufficient for us. His Grace is in manifest in Christ Jesus.. allowing us to have a personal ongoing relationship with Him. The people who's faoth that has always amazed me the most is those people who have nothing in life to be happy about (poverty, violence,disease, etc) and are filled with joy at their relationship with God.

To answer your question, this film has not caused my faith to waiver. I do not believe that it was made by the devil. I found it a combination of mildly amusing and midly insulting. Amusing because the producer had spent more time stuying the religions that he compared to Christianity than he did studing Christianity itself. He so badly wanted to disprove Christianity that he missed the point of what it is really all about. Insulting because he paints Christians as poor misguided fools. It is intersting that he thinks that he is the only one capable of using his brain. There are Chistians out there who are far more intelligent, educated and balanced than he is.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”