For water line break on homeowner property

Business and professional recommendations.
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

For water line break on homeowner property

Post by wanderer »

Can anyone give a referral for a company to fix a waterline break on homeowner property? Seems like a slow leak with water surfacing then pooling. Any ideas of cost?

Worried homeowner.
mexi cali
Guru

Re: For water line break on homeowner property

Post by mexi cali »

Check with the city first. Depending on where exactly the break is, they may be responsible to repair it.

I am a bit foggy on the specifics but I think that if the break is on the house side of the shutoff, it is the homeowners responsibility and if it is on the street side, it is the city's responsibility.

They should come and investigate, at least that's what they did for me way back when.

The valve location should be marked and is about 3 or so feet down but there will be a valve shut off at either the lawn height or just below that you use what is called a "key" to insert and shut off the supply to the house when you dig.

Any competent plumber should be able to do the work if it is your problem but again, check with the city first.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

mexi cali wrote:Check with the city first. Depending on where exactly the break is, they may be responsible to repair it.

I am a bit foggy on the specifics but I think that if the break is on the house side of the shutoff, it is the homeowners responsibility and if it is on the street side, it is the city's responsibility.

They should come and investigate, at least that's what they did for me way back when.

The valve location should be marked and is about 3 or so feet down but there will be a valve shut off at either the lawn height or just below that you use what is called a "key" to insert and shut off the supply to the house when you dig.

Any competent plumber should be able to do the work if it is your problem but again, check with the city first.
No it's well onto my property.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The city might recommend approved contractors.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

Bsuds wrote:The city might recommend approved contractors.
i'm on Rutland Waterworks not city so I'll check with them?
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Yup. Good place t o start.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

Thank you for the responses much appreciated.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I had it happen on the city side. Water was bubbling up on my property after nearby construction started. The shut-off valve was broken and it couldn't be shut off. The city was quick to dig it up and fix it.

Over time, small holes get worn in the copper pipes. The fix 'might' include replacing all the copper to the home since you wouldn't want to fix a hole then have it happen again next year. Copper gets worn out.

My copper pipe was closer to 5' down.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

Well I got the line repaired. It was on my property closer to my house than the road and about 5ft down. Found out the line wasn't copper it was a black color ... excavation and repairs were roughly $1300 .

Thank you to all who responded and PM'd me, it helped calm my anxiety a lot.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

That seems reasonable. Who did you use?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I had the water line break under my concrete driveway two years ago in the dead of winter. I made an insurance claim because the water made it inside my basement, causing major flood damage. Long story short, I paid to have a new line put in because the old line was polyb. and was going to probably break again in the future (it broke twice already inside the house). Insurance paid to repair the driveway surface and the damage inside the house. I'm really upset with the poor quality of the restoration companies do because my "new driveway" has more cracks in it than my old 25 year old drive did. Sorry, I just had to vent.

If you repair a line, you should replace the entire thing if it's not cost prohibitive in my opinion.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

I have the leak situation... any comments would be appreciated to ease the cost... cheers
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

polelady wrote: Nov 6th, 2022, 5:44 pm I have the leak situation... any comments would be appreciated to ease the cost... cheers
Is it leaking from underground? Has it caused any damage? Note that insurance will not pay to repair the leak but will pay to repair damage. They will typically pay the cost to find the leak. eg. if they have to tear up your driveway to find the leakpoint they will pay for that plus the cost put the concrete back.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

It is leaking about 10 ft from curb shut off..... and did make a sump hole cavity in my pavement... it is not slowing down so time to call insurance tomorrow and see but tks for the heads up advice.....
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

polelady wrote: Nov 6th, 2022, 8:21 pm It is leaking about 10 ft from curb shut off..... and did make a sump hole cavity in my pavement... it is not slowing down so time to call insurance tomorrow and see but tks for the heads up advice.....
First thing you should do is phone the city to get your water shut off
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Referrals”