Allow Liberals to rewrite Canada's election laws?

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Allow Liberals to rewrite Canada's election laws?

Post by rustled »

The Liberals want this rushed through:
Opposition leaders urged to speed up bill to ensure safe election during pandemic
The minority Liberal government is urging opposition parties to speed up passage of a bill aimed at ensuring a federal election could be safely held if need be during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The bill proposes some temporary amendments to the Canada Elections Act to allow for a safe election during the pandemic if necessary.

Among other things, the bill would mandate two additional in-person voting days to allow for physical distancing at polling stations. It would also allow electors to register online to vote by mail and provide for secure drop boxes to be installed to ensure mail-in ballots can be returned in time to be counted.

It would also give Elections Canada flexibility to determine the safest way to conduct voting in long-term care facilities, whose residents are the most vulnerable to the deadly effects of COVID-19.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/32 ... g-pandemic
Let's be real about this: The Trudeau Liberals have already proven they see our public health emergency as their golden opportunity, and the urgency here has the distinct odour of political opportunism.

Regardless of where I've lived, I've never in a federal or provincial election been forced to wait in a line that would be unsafe during a pandemic. If there are places where this is an issue, adding two additional in person voting days will address this. I have questions about the rest of the changes, though, and I hope the opposition members do, to:
  1. What changes does "among other things" encompass?
  2. How many mail-in ballots can an eligible Canadian voter expect to receive?
  3. Where would these "secure drop boxes" be located, how would they be "secured", and why are they necessary?
  4. What guarantees do the Liberals propose for those overseeing the inclusion of ballots from the "secure drop boxes" and other mailed-in ballots? How can Canadians be sure the observers will NOT be impeded or prevented from effectively observing all proceedings - from the opening of the boxes, through the confirmation of eligibility of each individual ballot in each of the boxes, through the inclusion of those ballots in the count?
  5. What guarantees do the Liberals propose to ensure only eligible Canadians vote, every mail-in ballot received is received from the voter for whom that vote was intended, and every eligible Canadian voter votes only once?
There's no reason at this time to rush changes to the way hold secure, one-person-one-vote elections in Canada. Social distancing can be maintained with additional days of in-person voting.

I support all opposition parties in taking their time to make sure Canadian elections are both safe AND secure.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Allow Liberals to rewrite Canada's election laws?

Post by GordonH »

Hopefully all House of Commons parties read every line of this document (very carefully), anything that appears fishy is removed or changed.
impo jt’s liberals have proven to be very untrustworthy in their dealings.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Blindeyes2020
Fledgling

Post by Blindeyes2020 »

I wouldn't let those liberal asshats re-write a school dinner menu let alone anything else.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

Maybe the opposition parties will not force a vote of confidence at budget time. Not giving the Trudeau Liberals a new mandate might allow more time for committees to finish their work and permanently sink the ship of fools.
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

This liberal government should not be allowed to rewrite anything. Everyone knows there will be things in there to help their political cause. They don't do anything that isn't somehow self-serving.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Lol, Skippy did it. So why not anybody else?

Plus if you were paying attention, you would know that the Canada Elections Act was last changed in 2019....

This only an issue for Trudeau bashers and CPC supporters who somehow feel that only the CPC should be allowed to change the Canada Elections Act - which is quite Republicanesque.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I would trust shriveled up gas station sushi over Trudeau any day of the week.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Glacier wrote:I would trust shriveled up gas station sushi over Trudeau any day of the week.
I'd trust Greta Thunberg being put in charge of a coal plant over Trudeau any day of the week.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

hobbyguy wrote:Lol, Skippy did it.
Quick, invoke Skippy!
hobbyguy wrote:So why not anybody else?
Ah, yes. The old "two wrongs make us right" Trudeau Liberal philosophy on display for all to see.
hobbyguy wrote:Plus if you were paying attention, you would know that the Canada Elections Act was last changed in 2019....

This only an issue for Trudeau bashers and CPC supporters who somehow feel that only the CPC should be allowed to change the Canada Elections Act - which is quite Republicanesque.
Quick, invoke Republicans!

Clearly, "only the Conservatives should change the Canadian Election Act" is a construct intended to deflect conversation from the issue at hand: the Trudeau Liberals' current attempt to RUSH changes to the Canada Elections Act.

:topic: There's no reason to allow the Trudeau Liberals to rush this Bill through. And every reason NOT to.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

Just win an election and you can have it your way all day
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 26th, 2021, 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 26th, 2021, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 26th, 2021, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Mar 26th, 2021, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

hobbyguy wrote:This only an issue for Trudeau bashers and CPC supporters who somehow feel that only the CPC should be allowed to change the Canada Elections Act - which is quite Republicanesque.
Exactly. It's a safe bet the law will be thoroughly debated, anything in it that poses a legitimate concern will be dealt with. It's an election year, both sides will be treading lightly. The Liberals will be sure to avoid any perception of manipulating the law in their favour, and the Conservatives will be careful not to make a big issue unless it's warranted. Everybody saw what went on in the US, nobody in their right mind wants that here.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Canada”