Licence plates

A potpourri of off-topics.
amomof2dogs
Generalissimo Postalot

Licence plates

Post by amomof2dogs »

Keep an eye on your licence plates. For the second time in less than two years the licence plates were stolen from our truck and replaced with those from a stolen vehicle. We have been lucky that the police have recovered the plates and notified us. The first time it happened my husband was away on business in the Kootenays when we were notified and was driving around with stolen plates on his truck for three days. The second incident just happened this week. I hate to think what would have happened if we had been stopped while driving a suspected stolen vehicle. Both times, the stolen plates were from a vehicle that matched the general description of our truck, colour, model etc.
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Post by Struts 'N' Stuff Auto »

My Advice to all, get new license plate bolts with Torx Heads, theives can easily steal ones that use a flat screwdriver or cresent wrench to remove.
But they will probably not bother with Torx Headed bolts.
amomof2dogs
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by amomof2dogs »

That is a great idea! Going out tomorrow to find some. May not stop them but it might make our truck less of a target.
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Post by ILLEffect »

I'd recommend the 12 point cap screw. A Torx-Head really isn't all that difficult to remove (have done so many times with ease if you have the right tool). Chances are if they are chronic plate stealers, they'll have the tools for a wide range of bolts/screws, Torx included since they've become more popular. That and Torx are also made for easy installation, thus easy removal.

Left is the Torx and right is the 12 point.
hotchip99
Lord of the Board

Post by hotchip99 »

Pop rivets.
Canada4Life
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Canada4Life »

ILLEffect wrote:A Torx-Head really isn't all that difficult to remove (have done so many times with ease if you have the right tool).

What do you do with all the plates? :P
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

Canada4Life wrote:
ILLEffect wrote:A Torx-Head really isn't all that difficult to remove (have done so many times with ease if you have the right tool).

What do you do with all the plates? :P

See? You can do humor! :)
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Post by ILLEffect »

What do you do with all the plates?

Um I um, uh...turn them into ICBC because they're all speeders! Somehow, I'm sure the plates can record just how fast the car is going.

But seriously, when we worked on bikes we used 12 point because they are harder to remove than Torx heads.
Canada4Life
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Canada4Life »

BriTer wrote:See? You can do humour! :)

Corrected. :P
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

Canada4Life wrote:
BriTer wrote:See? You can do humour! :)

Corrected. :P

Sorry! :) My mind went South.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

apesadumbrado! mi mente fue al sur? :lol:

well. you didn't say how far!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

My suggestion:
Use a Torx AND a 12-point--takes two tools, so takes longer to remove. (Make sure they are cross-threaded---I can help you with that--and put really good glue on the threads!)
In addition to the TORX and 12-point, use baling wire to weave and wind a complex pattern that also holds the plate in place, in case youryour first level of attachment be breached. When finished, be sure to cut the ends of the wire in a barb-like point, to the best of your ability. (There are books on Celtic Knots and designs, if you want your vehicle to look less redneck like.)
Hope this helps.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
amomof2dogs
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by amomof2dogs »

Thanks for all the advice. I think the twelve point will probably be what we go with.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

They make headless bolts. There just plain round. And I think I'd just use torx and drill the head out. Allen would work too. You can always get it out later if you must. Lots if license plate nuts are just plastic so thread glue will not work. You can get security type to from a bolt supply. There not much better though cause there is so many bits for them around. Personally I like the plain old round. No head. A trick to get them in but there a real puzzle to a lot of people. Bolt supply has them too. Like a carriage bolt but no square part on the underside.

12 point won't slow them down bit you can just use a pair of vice grips or a crescent wrench. Duh !

It don't have to be pretty it just has to work for them. I don't think they care if the have the perfect tool to do the job. I always get a laugh out of the steering lock bars. They just cut the steering wheel with a hack saw. It's just wire. 2 seconds, good security.

It's not like you can get them super tight. It's just a license plate holder. They probably will have a pair of vice grips they would need that to hold the steering lock up on the stolen vehicle after they rip the ignition out.

If it can be done it will be done. You got to out think them.
amomof2dogs
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by amomof2dogs »

A bit of a scare again last night. The truck alarm went off. When we went out there was nothing around and the plates were still there. Hunted around for a few minutes to find the keys to disable the alarm. Hubby left his jacket on the floor and we think the dog stepped on the fob and pressed the panic button. Had a good laugh. Hope we didn't disturb the neighbours too much. Off to find a solution today. Thanks again for all the suggestions but we might just go with a monster sized roll of duct tape and wrap those suckers on.

Return to “Grab Bag”