Lets use some common sense

tabubil
Fledgling

Lets use some common sense

Post by tabubil »

I am going to let the reader decide, on Thursday the forecast for the weather for this weekend was to be windy. The reason why this is important is that on Sunday morning what happens two street sweeper start cleaning 25 street with no signs posted, this meant that there were many cars on the road. Then they did not do that bad job, left lots on the road because of vehicles a line of dirt from the machines. But here is the best part with the lovely gusty winds we had and still have at the of this letter writing dust is blowing all over the neighbour hood when the wind comes up or vehicles drive on the road.
My question is this why did no one at city operations hear the same weather forecast as I did and then maybe stop the street cleaning. This is nice for those who have breathing problems and I guess it would be stupid to suggest that the city pay for having my car cleaned from all the dust. But I bet they are getting overtime or extra pay for working.
Boosted632
Banned

Re: Lets use some common sense

Post by Boosted632 »

Ya there wouldnt be any dust from gusting winds anyway maybe pull the pants up and wash your own car and im sure you have a mask or two kicking around for all that dust
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

tabubil wrote:I am going to let the reader decide, on Thursday the forecast for the weather for this weekend was to be windy. The reason why this is important is that on Sunday morning what happens two street sweeper start cleaning 25 street with no signs posted, this meant that there were many cars on the road. Then they did not do that bad job, left lots on the road because of vehicles a line of dirt from the machines. But here is the best part with the lovely gusty winds we had and still have at the of this letter writing dust is blowing all over the neighbour hood when the wind comes up or vehicles drive on the road.
My question is this why did no one at city operations hear the same weather forecast as I did and then maybe stop the street cleaning. This is nice for those who have breathing problems and I guess it would be stupid to suggest that the city pay for having my car cleaned from all the dust. But I bet they are getting overtime or extra pay for working.

I believe it is a regional contract. They have a schedule they need to keep.

Unless you live under a rock, you can usually anticipate when the street sweeper is coming as you can see them doing neighborhoods which are close to yours. We get excited to see them getting closer to our area.

Park your car on your own property and expect there will be dirt until all the streets are done.

This is the same kind of complaint you hear in November when people complain the snow plows haven't come yet and they still have their summer tires on.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It seems to rain within a day every time I wash my car no matter what the forecast is.

Damn Weatherman, he/she should know better! :biggrin:
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

definitely need better communication when it comes to spring street sweeping make all people more aware publish schedules
etc
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Life is too short to get all worked up about dust and inadequate street sweeping once a year. Enjoy the time you have, don't waste it with petty frustrations.

Did you send any feedback to the city?
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

TylerM4 wrote:Life is too short to get all worked up about dust and inadequate street sweeping once a year. Enjoy the time you have, don't waste it with petty frustrations.

Did you send any feedback to the city?
Time is too short I know that as I am retired but in our neighbour hood we have many elderly people in late 80 and early 90 with breathing problems do you not think advance notice would be nice so they can enjoy the weather or are they supposed to be locked up in their homes all day.
Have you ever tried sending feed back to the city, if they reply all they basically say is sorry with no justification and then believe me you get many visits from them I have been there and seen the results.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

tabubil wrote: Time is too short I know that as I am retired but in our neighbour hood we have many elderly people in late 80 and early 90 with breathing problems do you not think advance notice would be nice so they can enjoy the weather or are they supposed to be locked up in their homes all day.
Have you ever tried sending feed back to the city, if they reply all they basically say is sorry with no justification and then believe me you get many visits from them I have been there and seen the results.
I'm surprised people get notified at all. More than 16 years owning a home in two different okanagan cities and I've never had any advanced notification other than the noise of the sweeper coming down the street. The only time I've seen notification it's been to notify people to keep their cars off the street - it's never been to notify people about the dust, noise, etc.

Are you sure you're not making a bigger deal of this than it needs to be? So someone with breathing problems is "surprised" by a street sweeper coming down their street. What's the impact? They need to stop what they're doing and put on a mask? Or go inside for 15min until the sweeper is well down the street and most of the dust has settled again? How many people had to do that on your street? What would they do differently if they did have that notice? Forgive me, but I still think you're sweating the small stuff here. A small percentage of the population having to unexpectedly put on a dust mask and/or go inside for 15min once a year seems very trivial to me. I have asthma, I've been hospitalized due to it on numerous occasions - I stopped breathing and nearly died on one occasion. Yet I have no concern here. The same amount of dust or more is blown around on a windy day and it's only 15minutes of minor inconvenience.

I agree that there's not a lot of hope of getting a satisfactory response from the city. It's just that there's zero hope of improvement by posting here.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Common sense says that the windy weekend was a great time to be sweeping your street. Any dust they raised would be blown away very quickly. It's just common sense.
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

In regards to TylerM4 and bob vernon first of all in the past 5 years that I can remember the city has posted cleaning notice in the paper, stating to watch for signs. I have seen the signs on the corner of many avenues that meet with 27 street, and on the Saturday before this I saw 5 signs on 20 street near Wal-Mart stating cleaning was going to happen, so they do put out signs you might just live in an area that does not. They also usually have the road flushing truck go down the street shortly after to clean the dirt and remove dust.
In regards to the dust well to both of you, how you would like to go to church or gone out having left a window or two open to air out the house and come back and find dust all over the house, then what about all the dust the lands on the grass and then you go out and again rake it and get covered in dirt.
It is not petty as you both seem as we are paying high wages to have this done and in our area there are many seniors out on their daily walks many without masks what are they to do?
This is common of what the city thinks of the normal people of this city, nothing.
DetectivePikachu
Board Meister

Post by DetectivePikachu »

Sounds like yet another personal problem.
tabubil
Fledgling

Post by tabubil »

Up date just got back from my walk and for those doubters that thought the city did not post well from Pleasant Valley Road to 27 Street and 323 to 39 Avejnue we have nice new signs up and they are sweeping the sidewalk with the brush machine. So we are going to get our roads done twice in one week who says that the city knows what they are doing. It would be interesting to know what the extra cleaning will do.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

tabubil wrote: It would be interesting to know what the extra cleaning will do.
The plan is to sweep the dirt off the sidewalk onto the street so the street cleaners can come around again to clean those.

It's a make work program.

Signs were up in our neighborhood (Kelowna) that street cleaning was happening and our son said he never saw it.

Funny as he had to almost drive over it to get home.

Some people just don't see past the end of their nose.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

tabubil wrote:Up date just got back from my walk and for those doubters that thought the city did not post well from Pleasant Valley Road to 27 Street and 323 to 39 Avejnue we have nice new signs up and they are sweeping the sidewalk with the brush machine. So we are going to get our roads done twice in one week who says that the city knows what they are doing. It would be interesting to know what the extra cleaning will do.

Great news!

I think you're grasping at straws now regarding your argument about "what if you left a window open":
- "They're street sweeping this week so I'm going to double check we didn't leave any windows open"...says nobody.
- Nobody has their windows open this time of year - especially when they leave the house. Cracked a little for fresh air sure, but wide open windows are unlikely.
- It's an open window and a little dust. 99% of the time this would be a non-event you won't even be able to tell it happened. The rare time you can actually tell... it's just a little dust.

How much dust does the sweeper make going down your street? Do they not use water to keep the dust down like they do everywhere else? You're painting a picture of "Constant thick clouds of dust" where my own observation has been one of "Most of the time there's little dust, but they sometimes get into a spot that creates a noticeable cloud".
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

More "common sense": recall how we are all responsible for removing snow from the sidewalk in front of our house. Well, common sense is that we should also be responsible for removing the sand from the road in front of our house. We all, or most of us anyway, have a snow shovel. We should also have a coarse push broom and clean our own street. It's just common sense. By the way, one of our neighbours does this every spring and uses the sand again the next winter on his steep driveway.

Return to “North Okanagan”