Pet Peeves

A potpourri of off-topics.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Pet Peeves

Post by Lady tehMa »

And I was about to run errands yesterday (including picking up the above) and the car died.

Seriously, is everything trying to prevent me from getting those antihistamines? XD
I haven't failed until I quit.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Lady tehMa wrote:And I was about to run errands yesterday (including picking up the above) and the car died.

Seriously, is everything trying to prevent me from getting those antihistamines? XD
My alternator died a couple weeks ago, so I thought I could save $200 by putting in the new one myself... only problem is that I didn't notice that a screw had dropped down into the hood catch, preventing it from latching, so when I was driving down the highway the hood flew up and smashed my windshield, which set me back $400 for a new windshield. I'm just glad it was me driving and not Mrs. Glacier. She would have been steaming mad at me if it happened to her.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

:200:
Wow - I hope you're okay! I'm really glad Mrs Glacier wasn't driving it.

Our car issue turned out to be the brand new battery from Costco (our mechanic tested it, he said there was something wrong with the cell). So, the return process. Can't do an"exchange". Have to line up, return, get refunded, go find a new one yourself and then go through the line to pay. I shouldn't complain too much, after all, they do have an awesome return policy. I did manage to get my antihistamines - yay!!!! :yahoo:

And I have recently discovered mosquitos are out already. :swear:
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

And today my pet peeve is getting stung :swear:
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Today's pet peeve: Whenever I click on a notification, and I'm met with this screen... like what did I miss!!!???
notauthorizedasd.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Frustrating isn't it! lol
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I was just at the grocery store and this young mother and her daughter were shopping. The daughter literally threw a couple of things into the cart (loud!) to which the mother replied, "We're not getting that." Mildly annoying but it happens.

Then I heard a very loud sneeze. I looked over and the mother had her mask down barely covering her mouth. I guess she didn't want everything trapped inside her mask and instead decided to share with the rest of us. Disgusting, thoughtless, and very annoying.

Anyway, that's my pet peeve for today.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I know we are all getting tired of wearing a mask but there seem to be more and more people who are refusing to wear it properly or not at all.

As there is little to no enforcement they get away with it.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Before I read Letters to the Editor, I check the authors, and if Ricky Daytona is one of them, I know the Obituaries are a better, more uplifting read.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Getting to that age: I knew 4 people who have died this year. (No, not Covid related). :(

And allergies (same old seasonal complaint).

And technology when it decides to stop working.
Yesterday, my email client stopped sending emails. I have to go into my email in the browser to send. I will be hunting for the fix online. If not, at least I have a workaround. But still. . . :-X
And main office told me I had too much stuff in Dropbox - so I removed some stuff. And discovered that for some reason, my report program had been installed in Dropbox. It has been moved to a drive now, but moving it has messed it up. All the command pathways were redirected, and it just doesn't like it. It SHOULD work. It doesn't. I will be spending today on hold with tech support. :swear: :cuss: :swear: :cuss:
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Lady tehMa wrote: Apr 6th, 2022, 8:39 am Getting to that age: I knew 4 people who have died this year. (No, not Covid related). :(
The older I get the more death I see. I suppose that's just part of life, ironically enough.

22 people I knew personally have died in the past 2 years (since the pandemic started). Only 4 so far this year, but one was my dad's spouse who died suddenly last week, so that one hits pretty close to home. Plus another guy who is the exact same age as me! Last year 12 people I knew died. It's been a hard couple of years.
Last edited by Glacier on Apr 6th, 2022, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Douglas Murray
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Weights and Measures -
Canada went metric in 1975. What a brilliant idea Liberal Government ! (Pierre E Trudeau). Changing our measuring system while our closest neighbor and largest trading partner remained on a semi Imperial system. It was bad enough then that our gallon (imperial) was different from the US gallon.

"Oh it will be so great", "it will be so easy to price comparison", "quantities will be based on 100, 250, 500, and 1000, no more 8 ounce, 9 ounce etc" What did we get 8 ounce cans remaining only now called 236 ml, that's a nice even number to price compare.

How many items do you buy that are contained in a metric can ??? Not many, most cans are 156ml, 222ml, 355ml, 680ml,

It's the law we must us metric,,,, well unless your a grocery store that wants to make a product sound cheaper. $6.99 a pound for a roast is way cheaper than $15.22 a kilogram.

Metric is a huge bungle, thanks to our very short sighted politicians.

But that's not all.

How about a bylaw talking about water rates per acre. $X.XX per cubic metre of water based on so many acres. Ever thought of fluid in cubic metres ? Oh but it gets better, you want to figure out the size of your property for the water at so many cubic meters per acre. What does your lot plan say ? It's measured in square meters !!!

OK so you are fed up so you decide to drive across the border for some cheap groceries. Gee what is the duty on milk ? It's base on so much per pound !!! When's the last time you bought a pound of milk ?????
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

my5cents wrote: Apr 6th, 2022, 12:07 pm Weights and Measures -
Canada went metric in 1975. What a brilliant idea Liberal Government ! (Pierre E Trudeau). Changing our measuring system while our closest neighbor and largest trading partner remained on a semi Imperial system. It was bad enough then that our gallon (imperial) was different from the US gallon.
Good points. The US was supposed to change to metric at the same time and then backed out at the last second.

Our Gov't forced business's to change their scales to metric for letters and packages but the Post Office refused to change their scales because they had to pay for it.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Bsuds wrote: Apr 6th, 2022, 4:31 pm
my5cents wrote: Apr 6th, 2022, 12:07 pm Weights and Measures -
Good points. The US was supposed to change to metric at the same time and then backed out at the last second.

Our Gov't forced business's to change their scales to metric for letters and packages but the Post Office refused to change their scales because they had to pay for it.
Good luck to the American government trying to switch over to metric.
Can you imagine the law suits?

And as for our government's dictatorial ways.
I recall when we switched over, a carpet store in Calgary continued pricing their product by the yard, so what do the feds do? They take the carpet store to court.

And the feds lose. :up:
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Irritating to say the least.

I just bought a new airfryer. It’s capacity listed as 16 litres. Who in hell pours liquids into an airfryer? Why can't they just say one cubic foot or equivalence in cms? Why are liquid measurements used for space measurements?

Wanted….dead or alive…162 cm tall man. Who thinks like that?

Or, worse yet, quickly convert baking temperature 350F to C.

40 years later and what a mess. It had a Trudeau involved.

I also recall all the grocery weigh scales had to be immediately replaced or face the consequences.

I dare not think of the money wasted in the fast and hard push to go metric. I remember at the time that railways were to be pulled up to be in alignment with one meter width as per European… as if CNR and CPR had trans-Atlantic connectors.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown

Return to “Grab Bag”