The Exodus

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 35029
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

The Exodus

Post by Glacier »

This is an interesting documentary.

Last edited by Glacier on May 7th, 2022, 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
Hmmm
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2957
Joined: Jan 6th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by Hmmm »

Its a very good documentary. Very solid evidence that this even did in fact take place around 1500BCE and the Israelites were in fact slave in Egypt.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
capleton
Board Meister
Posts: 544
Joined: Oct 29th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by capleton »

There is no evidence of any Exodus, if people were wandering the desert for that many years they would have left archaeological evidence like garbage heaps, fire pits and burials. There is none of that and even if there was there is no evidence that it is from the Hebrews. Also the Jews were never in Egypt or not many of them anyways. The monuments of the Egyptians were build by skilled workers, not slaves. The whole story is a myth like everything in the Bible.
dg3
Board Meister
Posts: 454
Joined: Apr 23rd, 2011, 9:37 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by dg3 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 10th, 2021, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
youjustcomplain
Übergod
Posts: 1408
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by youjustcomplain »

capleton wrote:There is no evidence of any Exodus, if people were wandering the desert for that many years they would have left archaeological evidence like garbage heaps, fire pits and burials. There is none of that and even if there was there is no evidence that it is from the Hebrews. Also the Jews were never in Egypt or not many of them anyways. The monuments of the Egyptians were build by skilled workers, not slaves. The whole story is a myth like everything in the Bible.
You've made a claim capleton. You demand evidence from believers when they make claims from their faith. Do you have evidence that the story is a myth and that "everything" in the bible is a myth?
Ranger67
Fledgling
Posts: 191
Joined: Nov 6th, 2020, 4:46 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by Ranger67 »

youjustcomplain wrote:"everything" in the bible is a myth?

Perhaps the more important proof would be that god exists. That existence would lend a little more credibility to the bible.
youjustcomplain
Übergod
Posts: 1408
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by youjustcomplain »

Ranger67 wrote: Perhaps the more important proof would be that god exists. That existence would lend a little more credibility to the bible.
But we both know that the bible contains no such proof. Depending on who you are, you may or may not be convinced of the stories told in the bible; all, some or none at all.

The bible tells of one god. If god exists, is that the same god as told in the bible? Other faiths have spoken of many gods. Perhaps they're all wrong and even if there is a god, all of the holy books may have missed the mark.
capleton
Board Meister
Posts: 544
Joined: Oct 29th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by capleton »

youjustcomplain wrote:
capleton wrote:There is no evidence of any Exodus, if people were wandering the desert for that many years they would have left archaeological evidence like garbage heaps, fire pits and burials. There is none of that and even if there was there is no evidence that it is from the Hebrews. Also the Jews were never in Egypt or not many of them anyways. The monuments of the Egyptians were build by skilled workers, not slaves. The whole story is a myth like everything in the Bible.
You've made a claim capleton. You demand evidence from believers when they make claims from their faith. Do you have evidence that the story is a myth and that "everything" in the bible is a myth?
I just gave evidence, the complete lack of archaeological evidence for the Exodus and the complete lack of evidence for any of the Bible stories, ie the Resurection, the Flood and the zombie invasion of Jerusalem, Tower of Babel and talking donkey of Balaam. All of which can be debunked by science and linguistics. In fact the whole Bible is a giant claim. I have no reason to believe the Bible stories are any different from the Greek or Norse myths. We know in reality that people do not generally rise from the dead, geology has shown there was no Flood and that donkeys don't talk. Maybe some cities mentioned in the Bible are real but then again so is Troy. They are fantastical stories with supernatural elements, how are they not myths?
Last edited by capleton on Apr 12th, 2021, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
capleton
Board Meister
Posts: 544
Joined: Oct 29th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by capleton »

My Italian friend said his priest told him that most of everything in the Bible was myth, that is all the evidence I need.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 35029
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
youjustcomplain
Übergod
Posts: 1408
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by youjustcomplain »

capleton wrote: I just gave evidence, the complete lack of archaeological evidence for the Exodus and the complete lack of evidence for any of the Bible stories, ie the Resurection, the Flood and the zombie invasion of Jerusalem, Tower of Babel and talking donkey of Balaam. All of which can be debunked by science and linguistics. In fact the whole Bible is a giant claim. I have no reason to believe the Bible stories are any different from the Greek or Norse myths. We know in reality that people do not generally rise from the dead, geology has shown there was no Flood and that donkeys don't talk. Maybe some cities mentioned in the Bible are real but then again so is Troy. They are fantastical stories with supernatural elements, how are they not myths?
You gave evidence? You claim there is no evidence of the exodus. Then you go on to claim there is no evidence of all sorts of events written in the bible. You don't actually offer any evidence that the stories told are not true.

Like you, I don't believe them either. But I can't think of "evidence" that can prove something didn't happen.
Take the talking donkey. I've never heard a donkey talk. Based on everything I know about donkey's, they don't talk to us in any language I'm familiar with. That isn't evidence that a donkey never spoke. It's only evidence that I've never heard a donkey talk, and it's anecdotal at best.

The great flood. Sure, I don't believe it. I've never heard of any evidence that supports the great flood. But not finding evidence to support a hypothesis is not the same as finding evidence that the hypothesis is false.

It's a bit of a joke really. I mean, I don't generally believe in things that can't be disproved. You tell me god talked to you, I'll wonder how I could ever know that's true, or know it's not true. Both are impossible positions to take. I don't think there is evidence that supports the Great Flood, but I also don't think we'll find evidence that disproves it happened. We have lots of evidence that doesn't support the great flood though. As such, I see little reason to believe in it.
capleton
Board Meister
Posts: 544
Joined: Oct 29th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by capleton »

youjustcomplain wrote:
capleton wrote: I just gave evidence, the complete lack of archaeological evidence for the Exodus and the complete lack of evidence for any of the Bible stories, ie the Resurection, the Flood and the zombie invasion of Jerusalem, Tower of Babel and talking donkey of Balaam. All of which can be debunked by science and linguistics. In fact the whole Bible is a giant claim. I have no reason to believe the Bible stories are any different from the Greek or Norse myths. We know in reality that people do not generally rise from the dead, geology has shown there was no Flood and that donkeys don't talk. Maybe some cities mentioned in the Bible are real but then again so is Troy. They are fantastical stories with supernatural elements, how are they not myths?
You gave evidence? You claim there is no evidence of the exodus. Then you go on to claim there is no evidence of all sorts of events written in the bible. You don't actually offer any evidence that the stories told are not true.

Like you, I don't believe them either. But I can't think of "evidence" that can prove something didn't happen.
Take the talking donkey. I've never heard a donkey talk. Based on everything I know about donkey's, they don't talk to us in any language I'm familiar with. That isn't evidence that a donkey never spoke. It's only evidence that I've never heard a donkey talk, and it's anecdotal at best.

The great flood. Sure, I don't believe it. I've never heard of any evidence that supports the great flood. But not finding evidence to support a hypothesis is not the same as finding evidence that the hypothesis is false.

It's a bit of a joke really. I mean, I don't generally believe in things that can't be disproved. You tell me god talked to you, I'll wonder how I could ever know that's true, or know it's not true. Both are impossible positions to take. I don't think there is evidence that supports the Great Flood, but I also don't think we'll find evidence that disproves it happened. We have lots of evidence that doesn't support the great flood though. As such, I see little reason to believe in it.
So which are your four favorite books on the archaeology of the Sinai Peninsula? Since the events of the Bible are in odds with reality, which I just said in the previous post contradicts geology, biology, archaeology and even cosmology. How the hell are the stories in the Bible not a myth? The rhetoric of priests, pastors and believers are bold empty claims and I don't have to show how the stories are not a myth, believers and their defenders have to show how these stories actually happened and are in any way connected to the real world. So I do not have the burden of proof here. The Bible is one giant claim and I don't believe a word of it because it contradicts reality.
Last edited by capleton on Apr 14th, 2021, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
capleton
Board Meister
Posts: 544
Joined: Oct 29th, 2017, 6:39 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by capleton »

William Dever, an archaeologist says "The Israelites never were in Egypt. They never came from abroad. This whole chain is broken. It is not a historical one. It is a later legendary reconstruction — made in the seventh century BCE — of a history that never happened"
Professor of Ancient History and Archaeology Eric H. Cline says "Despite attempts by a number of biblical archaeologists — and an even larger number of amateur enthusiasts — over the years, credible direct archaeological evidence for the Exodus has yet to be found.
While one might argue that such evidence would be difficult to find, since nomads generally do not leave behind permanent installations, archaeologists have discovered and excavated nomadic emplacements from other periods in the Sinai desert:.
So if there were archaeological remains to be found from the Exodus, one would have expected them to be found by now. And yet, thus far there is no trace of the biblical "600,000 men on foot, besides children" plus "a mixed crowd...and live stock in great numbers" (Exod. 12:37-38) who wandered for forty years in the desert".
Do you really want me to quote more archaeologists and scholars on how the Exodus never happened and is a myth? I could do it all day
Last edited by capleton on Apr 14th, 2021, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2650
Joined: Nov 25th, 2018, 5:42 am

Re: The Exodus

Post by ckil »

The bible and all other religious scriptures were answers to life before there was advancements in science. They are not relevant in modern society IMO
youjustcomplain
Übergod
Posts: 1408
Joined: Jun 14th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Re: The Exodus

Post by youjustcomplain »

capleton wrote:... and I don't have to show how the stories are not a myth...
Nope. You don't have to.
But, you made a claim. You claimed that everything in the bible was a myth. And now you're saying you don't have to defend that statement.

Do you happen to see the hypocrisy?

If someone attempts to defend the bible, (which I do not), you demand the show you evidence. But you claim it is completely false then go on to say you don't need to defend your statement.

I just feel that if you're going to demand evidence from believers when they make claims, you should also be willing to defend your position when you take one.


As for your other questions. I have never read any books on the history of that area of the world. I probably should though. Would be a good read. I don't really feel I need to reaffirm my position on the validity of the bible though as I already don't believe it's based on true story.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”