Alberta - BC Highway Restrictions

I Give Up
Fledgling

Alberta - BC Highway Restrictions

Post by I Give Up »

John Horgan has been asked numerous times to consider adding "vehicle travel restrictions" between BC and Alberta. This would be similar to the "Maritime Bubble" in which four provinces restricted travel from other provinces, which was introduced about a year ago. This seemed to work quite fine for the Maritimes.

BUT, Horgan's response was that "someone" told him it was illegal and furthermore, we have "just too many roads" to make it feasible. Huh?

My guess is that a VERY large percent of travellers from Alberta cross into BC using FOUR major access routes. Highway 3 (Crowsnest) , Hwy 93 (Golden), the Trans-Canada 1 (west of Calgary) and Hwy 16 (west of Edmonton). There are more, but they are ALL north of Edmonton and Hwy 16 and do not represent a lot of casual travel - maybe 1%.

The goal of the travel restrictions should be to limit the number of travellers contaminating BC with any of the Corona Virus variables. Exemptions obviously, would include truckers, documented business travel and personal emergency services (health reasons). Maybe some other travellers as well, including individuals with a "vaccine card".

The guidelines would virtually restrict anyone pulling a holiday trailer or a boat, people with a carload of kids, and anyone with a roof rack with ski equipment. Doesn't sound like business travel to me! Send them back - unless they can show proof of business. (a meeting agenda, hotel room confirmation, doctors letter, etc.)

I never liked Horgans' sappy answer - it just sounds too politically correct and might cost him a vote or two. We are in the worst part of a world-wide pandemic and someone has to make a difference. Federal Minister Dan Albas agreed with Horgan about the number of roads as being too many to monitor. Can either of them read a map?

Also, I found it interesting that one government agency says "stay at home, restrict travel, etc" and another agency is "adding additional ferries to handle the Easter weekend rush". Nignogs! They should have locked up the terminals on Saturday night of the long weekend!
Westside = Bestside...lets keep it that way!
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Alberta - BC Highway Restrictions

Post by alanjh595 »

BC Ferries are an essential service.

https://www.bcferries.com/news-releases ... day-season
Bring back the LIKE button.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I Give Up wrote: My guess is that a VERY large percent of travellers from Alberta cross into BC using FOUR major access routes. Highway 3 (Crowsnest) , Hwy 93 (Golden), the Trans-Canada 1 (west of Calgary) and Hwy 16 (west of Edmonton). There are more, but they are ALL north of Edmonton and Hwy 16 and do not represent a lot of casual travel - maybe 1%.
Highway 2 is also a busy crossing between Dawson Creek-Fort St. John-Fort Nelson-etc. and Grand Praire-Edmonton-etc.

But I totally hear you here, there aren't very many crossings... there are MORE crossings to the US than to Alberta! There are over 20 crossings between BC and the USA.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

It's an excuse. NZ was somehow able to restrict people to their own neighbourhoods. Here in Canada, we can't manage to restrict people to their own province.

If the provincial government believed there was a reason to do it, they'd find a way.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

rustled wrote:It's an excuse. NZ was somehow able to restrict people to their own neighbourhoods. Here in Canada, we can't manage to restrict people to their own province.

If the provincial government believed there was a reason to do it, they'd find a way.
NZ is a Unitary State where the Central Government has overall authority while Canada is a Federal State that allows Provinces to self govern.
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

OKkayak wrote: NZ is a Unitary State where the Central Government has overall authority while Canada is a Federal State that allows Provinces to self govern.
True, but also has Leadership with an intentional capital L. They set RULES, enforced RULES. Not wishy washy guidelines with numerous exceptions.
Had our PM and Premiers been firm and resolute, it would have helped.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

dreamon wrote:True, but also has Leadership with an intentional capital L. They set RULES, enforced RULES. Not wishy washy guidelines with numerous exceptions.
Had our PM and Premiers been firm and resolute, it would have helped.
But thats what makes it more difficult here, instead of having one Government setting and enforcing rules, you need a dozen Governments to be on the same page. Sounds easy, but we're talking politicians here :biggrin:
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

It all sounds so easy....

What exactly would they do at these boarder checks? Ensure everyone travelling when they shouldn't be has come up with a good enough lie for why they're travelling? :130:

What's being proposed here is a full on boarder protection service. That's not something you "just do".
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

New Zealand are Islands, so way to get to them is by boat or plane.

North America only physical restrictions is Bering Strait to north and Darién Gap to the south (of course country borders).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

TylerM4 wrote:It all sounds so easy....
Everything is easier behind a keyboard with no accountability for the consequences of enacting restrictions or having to organize/enforce them.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

GordonH wrote:New Zealand are Islands, so way to get to them is by boat or plane.

North America only physical restrictions is Bering Strait to north and Darién Gap to the south (of course country borders).
NZ was able to restrict their citizens' movements to within their own neighbourhoods. Because that's what their leadership decided was necessary, and as hard as it was, what they decided was necessary was what they did.

Here in Canada, here in BC: "It's too difficult." Our governments are not saying "no, we are certain it is not necessary to restrict people from moving around" - they are saying "it's too hard, we can't..."
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

rustled wrote:Because that's what their leadership decided was necessary, and as hard as it was, what they decided was necessary was what they did.

Here in Canada, here in BC: "It's too difficult." Our governments are not saying "no, we are certain it is not necessary to restrict people from moving around" - they are saying "it's too hard, we can't..."
Again, Unitary Government vs Federal Government.

Ottawa has jurisdiction over this and Provinces have jurisdiction over that.

Things are much easier when you have one level of government that has authority over everything vs a dozen levels of government that can't agree on where to order for lunch.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

OKkayak wrote:
rustled wrote:It's an excuse. NZ was somehow able to restrict people to their own neighbourhoods. Here in Canada, we can't manage to restrict people to their own province.

NZ is a Unitary State where the Central Government has overall authority while Canada is a Federal State that allows Provinces to self govern.
That strikes me as irrelevant, considering Ontario is using police to do just that.

Ontario is a province as is BC, so whatever works there should be doable here as well.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Urban Cowboy wrote: That strikes me as irrelevant, considering Ontario is using police to do just that.

Ontario is a province as is BC, so whatever works there should be doable here as well.
And they have every right to do that, as a Province. But Ontario also wants further restrictions across the US border and at airports, but that they have no jurisdiction over.

So even though, they set up checkpoints at their Provincial borders, they can't do anything to prevent people from circumnavigating those checkpoints via alternative ways.

So, lets say I live in Winnipeg and want to visit my buddy in Toronto. Ford closes the Provincial border, no worries, I'll just fly there and the Ontario Government can't do anything about it.

Thats why the constant comparison to NZ is moot.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Urban Cowboy wrote: That strikes me as irrelevant, considering Ontario is using police to do just that.

I wonder if that is because they have Provincial police force (OPP), BC doesn’t... our main police force is Federal (RCMP).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Canada”