What would you do about the toxic lake bottoms?

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Re: What would you do about the toxic lake bottoms?

Post by Merry »

Maybe, instead of just blaming boaters, they need to go Public with more information about exactly WHAT is polluting the lake bottom.

I had a friend who was in the military who told me the Public would be shocked if they knew how much military hardware got dumped in that lake at the end of the Second World War. He said it all still sits there today, slowly rotting away, and polluting the water.

He claimed the Government is well aware of the problem, but unwilling to do anything about it.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

stuphoto wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/32 ... pesticides

What would you like to see happen?
We obviously can't just remove the toxins overnight, and the story doesn't say if they will eventually disappear.

I would imagine putting in a boat speed restriction would reduce stirring things up, however I can't see it happening during my lifetime. Plus it still doesn't cure the problem.
99% of this is from 100 years of run off from orchards spray to note this article show the jade bay(south end of kal lake)
also the water is run through a total sanitation process when used for drinking gets tested almost daily so really this is not new news at all
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Merry wrote:
I had a friend who was in the military who told me the Public would be shocked if they knew how much military hardware got dumped in that lake at the end of the Second World War. He said it all still sits there today, slowly rotting away, and polluting the water.

He claimed the Government is well aware of the problem, but unwilling to do anything about it.
That would certainly explain the metals mentioned in the story.

It has been a couple months since I asked the question.
However if memory serves me correctly, I wasn't looking for anyone to blame.

I think I was more interested in, can we clean it up?
Or should we even try at this point?
It is possible that while trying to clean it the stirring of the bottom up would cause more environmental damage than just leaving it there.
If this is the case, do we still want the motor boats flying across?
Would speed restrictions with them help?
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

Make Trudeau drink it. Just slurp it all up!
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Prove that he is responsible first MCB,
His dad wasn't even born when the problem started.
dontrump
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by dontrump »

stuphoto wrote:Prove that he is responsible first MCB,
His dad wasn't even born when the problem started.
the sarcastic remark was made because the trudeaus collectively have caused more damage to canada and its people than this small lake water issue could ever cause
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

:topic:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
mbfarm131
Fledgling

Post by mbfarm131 »

In my opinion a major part of it is the unfettered use of fertilizers and, to a lesser extent, pesticides that are being used. Using Wood Lake an an example, the big-time cherry farmer who shall remain nameless is leasing a huge amount of farm land in Oyama and the chemical applications to those trees are applied constantly from May through to harvest time in July-August. All of those chemicals make their way to the water table eventually.

I was a professional diver in Victoria for years and I remember this being a big issue in Brentwood Bay, incredible dive sites were overgrown with scum as more and more homeowners began to have golf course tier lawns by using tons of fertilizers. Algae blooms become prolific when fertilizers are introduced and I suspect that is the case here locally.

The increased boat traffic adds to the problem as the agitation and oxygenation of the surface water helps to encourage growth, but the root of the problem, I believe, is fertilizers. It's a shame.
stero

Post by stero »

We need to push the liberal/Trudeau government to change their policy on being allowed to dump RAW SEWAGE into open water ways! Go boating on Wood lake and pull your motor up with 2lbs of used, broken up TOILET PAPER! It's gross. Raw sewage and run off from orchards pretty much destroyed that lake.
Algae bloom or not. I would never go in any Okanagan lakes ever again!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

stero wrote: Jun 11th, 2021, 5:53 pm We need to push the liberal/Trudeau government to change their policy on being allowed to dump RAW SEWAGE into open water ways! Go boating on Wood lake and pull your motor up with 2lbs of used, broken up TOILET PAPER! It's gross. Raw sewage and run off from orchards pretty much destroyed that lake.
You may want to check out were your household water supply comes from. Sorry if I ruined that for you.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

stero wrote: Jun 11th, 2021, 5:53 pm We need to push the liberal/Trudeau government to change their policy on being allowed to dump RAW SEWAGE into open water ways! Go boating on Wood lake and pull your motor up with 2lbs of used, broken up TOILET PAPER! It's gross. Raw sewage and run off from orchards pretty much destroyed that lake.
I doubt that very much as toilet paper breaks down rather quickly and the prop turning would destroy it quicker.

If you don't believe me them take a jar of water and put some toilet paper in it, let it sit for 10 min then give it a shake.
That's how to test for the best paper to use in an RV so as to not clog your tanks.

If there is paper in the lake then it's coming from boaters and not orchards or off the land anywhere.

Sorry but I don't believe a word of what you said.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote: Jun 11th, 2021, 6:38 pm
I doubt that very much as toilet paper breaks down rather quickly and the prop turning would destroy it quicker.

If you don't believe me them take a jar of water and put some toilet paper in it, let it sit for 10 min then give it a shake.
That's how to test for the best paper to use in an RV so as to not clog your tanks.

If there is paper in the lake then it's coming from boaters and not orchards or off the land anywhere.

Sorry but I don't believe a word of what you said.
:up:
Bring back the LIKE button.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I thought Victoria was the last BC city with it's sewage running directly into the waterways, and they had primary filtration removing all the solids at least 10 years ago.

He may have seen those Sani Wipes rise up.
I know some people flush them and they don't break down in a reasonable time. I could really see some ignorant boaters using them too.

One :swear: did that in a New bus I was driving and it sure made a nasty mess when that toilet backed up.

Good info about the TP test,
Thanks Suds
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

MCB wrote: Apr 24th, 2021, 11:53 pm Make Trudeau drink it. Just slurp it all up!
Yeah, it's all his fault. Or his father's. Everything is.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

:topic:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown

Return to “North Okanagan”