RCAF looks elsewhere for pilots

seewood
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4285
Joined: May 29th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Re: RCAF looks elsewhere for pilots

Post by seewood »

oldtrucker wrote:I know guys that would drop everything for a chance to fly their equip in a heartbeat.
So long as they have a degree from a recognized university. To fly anything in the Canadian military you have to be a commissioned officer, ie. university degree.

In the states, you can fly helicopters as a warrant officer, or you could as most were during the Viet Nam era.

Still have to do basic training if a newbie.

I knew a fellow that flew the equivalent of the Bell 212 in the Canadian air force. Flew perhaps 200 hours a year. In civilian life, perhaps 500 hours a year up to 1000 or more if you have a good logging/fire year.

Flying fast jets would be cool , but again, just how many hours do you get a year because of budgets and aircraft availability?
If Canada decides to purchase the F35, because it is an insanely expensive aircraft to fly, I understand most of the training will be done on a simulator. How demoralizing is that? How do you recruit to fly on a simulator and very limited flight time?

If Canada upped the aircraft flight hour budget for their aircraft, including transports, perhaps retention might be better.
Canada does have good kit, as good as any other country but I think budget constraints keep them on the ground and pilots flying a pine bench.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
User avatar
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14241
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: RCAF looks elsewhere for pilots

Post by OKkayak »

oldtrucker wrote: And, here is the officer pay scale....it's not bad. https://www.canada.ca/en/department-nat ... ml#captain
Looking at the pay scale for pilots, yeah, you'd be way better off at WS or AC, if your seniority is high enough, you could be double that.
User avatar
oldtrucker
Guru
Posts: 7889
Joined: Nov 24th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Re: RCAF looks elsewhere for pilots

Post by oldtrucker »

seewood wrote:So long as they have a degree from a recognized university. To fly anything in the Canadian military you have to be a commissioned officer, ie. university degree.
A uni degree can be less expensive than 0-300 hours of flight training...private, commercial multi engine IFR. The weird thing is that you can have a arts degree and it will count, but your commercial lic you spent 80k on doesn't....
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
User avatar
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14241
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: RCAF looks elsewhere for pilots

Post by OKkayak »

oldtrucker wrote: A uni degree can be less expensive than 0-300 hours of flight training...private, commercial multi engine IFR. The weird thing is that you can have a arts degree and it will count, but your commercial lic you spent 80k on doesn't....
I remember when Southern Interior teamed up with OK College back in the early 90s to offer the 2-4 year aviation degree program. Took twice as long to finish (as opposed to just doing your CPL), cost a heck of a lot more and between the students who took that program and those that just did their CPL, getting a job and paying their dues, they all ended up at the same carriers. Never understood the obsession that North America has with college degrees.
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 35183
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: RCAF looks elsewhere for pilots

Post by Glacier »

What a crock. I know a guy near me who has 20 years of experience with British Airways and other international flights, and he's getting like 5 days of work a month right now because of the shutdowns. There are very experienced pilots doing jack right now.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14241
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: RCAF looks elsewhere for pilots

Post by OKkayak »

Glacier wrote:What a crock. I know a guy near me who has 20 years of experience with British Airways and other international flights, and he's getting like 5 days of work a month right now because of the shutdowns. There are very experienced pilots doing jack right now.
But thats the thing, would he be willing to give up 20 years of seniority with BA?
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 35183
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: RCAF looks elsewhere for pilots

Post by Glacier »

OKkayak wrote: But thats the thing, would he be willing to give up 20 years of seniority with BA?
He would probably too old since RCAF is looking for 20 somethings and not 40 somethings. Another friend of mine is a retired RCAF pilot, and he works for a small airline in Saskatchewan as the chief pilot and now manager, and has had to lay off half their pilots. Small airline pilots make a lot less than RCAF pilots, and also don't get the same Benefits. These people would love the opportunity to work at the RCAF.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
User avatar
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14241
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: RCAF looks elsewhere for pilots

Post by OKkayak »

Glacier wrote: He would probably too old since RCAF is looking for 20 somethings and not 40 somethings. Another friend of mine is a retired RCAF pilot, and he works for a small airline in Saskatchewan as the chief pilot and now manager, and has had to lay off half their pilots. Small airline pilots make a lot less than RCAF pilots, and also don't get the same Benefits. These people would love the opportunity to work at the RCAF.
I totally get your point on younger pilots, but now you need to ask:

1) Do they have the qualifications?
2) What does their family think of joining the military?
3) What kind of commitment is the RCAF looking for?
4) Have some of them applied and not been accepted?
5) Are they temporarily layed off or has their employment been terminated?
User avatar
Alien Head Dude
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 14764
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 9:19 am

Re: RCAF looks elsewhere for pilots

Post by Alien Head Dude »

oldtrucker wrote: The weird thing is that you can have a arts degree and it will count,
You won't be flying fighter jets with an arts degree
seewood
Lord of the Board
Posts: 4285
Joined: May 29th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Re: RCAF looks elsewhere for pilots

Post by seewood »

Ka-El wrote:You won't be flying fighter jets with an arts degree

[icon_lol2.gif] go to fast to admire the flowers.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
User avatar
Glacier
The Pilgrim
Posts: 35183
Joined: Jul 6th, 2008, 10:41 pm

Re: RCAF looks elsewhere for pilots

Post by Glacier »

I wonder if this has something to do with meeting requirements to more people of color and women? If so, it would make sense to recruit from majority non-white countries. A friend of mine who ad volunteered for years as an auxiliary member was turned down for the RCMP (even though the RCMP is greatly short staffed) because they are trying to get their non-white male numbers up.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Even Steven
Guru
Posts: 6418
Joined: Mar 24th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Re: RCAF looks elsewhere for pilots

Post by Even Steven »

Glacier wrote:I wonder if this has something to do with meeting requirements to more people of color and women? If so, it would make sense to recruit from majority non-white countries.
It's probably tough to hire people for RCAF from other countries able to pass the security clearance.
A friend of mine who ad volunteered for years as an auxiliary member was turned down for the RCMP (even though the RCMP is greatly short staffed) because they are trying to get their non-white male numbers up.
I hate when people say "I was not hired because I'm the wrong color/gender/not disable/etc." because they think they're the perfect candidate, and the vast majority of people are not. There are a million things that could have played against your friend during the selection process, but he goes around saying he was not hired because he's white. Being auxiliary and being a full member are vastly different positions, require different selection and requirements. Just because you're one doesn't mean you're a shoo-in.
User avatar
oldtrucker
Guru
Posts: 7889
Joined: Nov 24th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Re: RCAF looks elsewhere for pilots

Post by oldtrucker »

OKkayak wrote:
oldtrucker wrote: A uni degree can be less expensive than 0-300 hours of flight training...private, commercial multi engine IFR. The weird thing is that you can have a arts degree and it will count, but your commercial lic you spent 80k on doesn't....
I remember when Southern Interior teamed up with OK College back in the early 90s to offer the 2-4 year aviation degree program. Took twice as long to finish (as opposed to just doing your CPL), cost a heck of a lot more and between the students who took that program and those that just did their CPL, getting a job and paying their dues, they all ended up at the same carriers. Never understood the obsession that North America has with college degrees.
Bingo....I shudda moved to Europe in the 90's and got out of N America.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2317
Joined: Aug 31st, 2008, 6:11 am

Re: RCAF looks elsewhere for pilots

Post by Randall T »

The future is unmanned drones. Lots of gaming nuts already good enough to fly them too.
I birn quil I se
User avatar
oldtrucker
Guru
Posts: 7889
Joined: Nov 24th, 2013, 3:19 pm

Re: RCAF looks elsewhere for pilots

Post by oldtrucker »

Randall T wrote:The future is unmanned drones. Lots of gaming nuts already good enough to fly them too.
Light years between playing a video game and actually knowing what air and a machine 'feels' like. I'd rather have a human crew that has their lives on the line rather than someone thats used to being able reset/ start again if they bleep up.
Some may view my politically incorrect opinions as harsh and may be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

Return to “Canada”