Provincial emergency alert

A potpourri of off-topics.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Provincial emergency alert

Post by GordonH »

Urbane wrote: It looks like most people received the alert, according to the results of this poll so far, but for some inexplicable reason some of us, even those of us with relatively new phones, are out of the loop.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#333095
On their website it asks did you receive the alert with a survey, here is a link.
https://www.emergencyinfobc.gov.bc.ca/a ... ay-5-2021/
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I just got another alert.
I wasn't expecting any so soon.
Did anyone else get one?
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

Apparently it was on our tv... now they claim human error.... good thing it wasn't real.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/333768 ... est#333768
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Why did we get a 2nd emergency alert test in just the past two weeks? Doesn't the government know that if you have a fire alarm drill everyday that people will soon tune out the sirens, and then when a real fire happens it just gets ignored?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I was on a corporate Zoom call with like 100 people, and half the people at the same moment reached for the phone including myself - it was hilarious.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Mark your calendar for the upcoming provincial emergency alert:

Wednesday, November 17th at 1:55 p.m.

Regardless of what phone I have or what carrier I have I never receive the alert so the above is for those of you who do in fact receive the alert. :D
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

That just proves that they don't like you :biggrin:

Your really not missing much.
The first time I got it happened to be the first time I tried moving a Tesla without wearing my seatbelt, and I literally thought it was a loud and obnoxious seatbelt warning.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

stuphoto wrote: Nov 16th, 2021, 9:32 am That just proves that they don't like you :biggrin:

Your really not missing much.
The first time I got it happened to be the first time I tried moving a Tesla without wearing my seatbelt, and I literally thought it was a loud and obnoxious seatbelt warning.
They don't like me and I'm on the list of those who are expendable. You have a point though. I might be better off without the alert. Anyway, the rest of you can let me know how it goes tomorrow.

The emergency alert program can't track who actually receives the alert but from polls taken after each one it would appear that the majority of people do receive it.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Urbane wrote: Nov 15th, 2021, 2:43 pm Mark your calendar for the upcoming provincial emergency alert:

Wednesday, November 17th at 1:55 p.m.

Regardless of what phone I have or what carrier I have I never receive the alert so the above is for those of you who do in fact receive the alert. :D
Interesting fact for you....
20211117_104752.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

^^ Thanks, Glacier. Interesting! Either we don't generally have emergencies in B.C. or the government chooses not to use the system. Hmm . . .

I see this now. No emergency alert in B.C. today:

https://www.hopestandard.com/news/b-c-r ... continues/
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

BC government took their sweet time calling for State of Emergency, calling on Feds for help before calling a SoE.

Hopefully Canadian military gets their Globmaster III and use them to help get essential food needs into the interior.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

At 1:55 p.m. today I expect to be ignored again. I never receive the emergency alerts. Oh well . . .
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Will check my cell phone later (it's off while being charged) but did get the alert on the TV.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Got mine at 1:55.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote: Nov 26th, 2020, 7:15 am For the TV you had to be watching a Canadian channel.
I have Shaw, and I was watching a US show recorded on my Shaw Gateway and the alert came on.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Grab Bag”