Old growth logging

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Steve-O
Übergod

Re: Old growth logging

Post by Steve-O »

100%!!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

It took in many cases centenaries for this growth to happen, just look at BC via satellite it’s going to take that long to regrow what’s gone.

Forest management in BC has been a huge joke for decades.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

Be happy there is forest management. Things could be a lot worse.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Firstly, logging is a part of forests management. Thick forests (i.e. older growth) are a big fire hazard. Secondly, there is no shortage of trees in BC, by any measure.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

There is no excuse, no matter how much money is on the line, that remaining old growth is being logged. 2 acres or 2000 acres-doesn't matter. Any of it.
old growth will die and rot and be worth nothing if left un harvested . I'm not against old growth harvesting IF it's done properly . The way the forests are being "managed" today and yesterday for that matter , isn't proper.

End the clear cuts and harvest old growth like it's a crop , just like we do for fruits and vegetables in a garden , and there'd be PLENTY of old growth forever ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

BC Landlord wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 10:47 am Firstly, logging is a part of forests management. Thick forests (i.e. older growth) are a big fire hazard. Secondly, there is no shortage of trees in BC, by any measure.
Take a look via satellite west of Kelowna there is huge amount of clear cut that will take many decades or longer to grow back. If it’s actually been replanted.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

GordonH wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 11:02 am Take a look via satellite west of Kelowna there is huge amount of clear cut that will take many decades or longer to grow back. If it’s actually been replanted.
To my knowledge, they are required by law to replant. Otherwise, they would lose their license. Spruce grows pretty fast, especially given more space, such as clear-cut patches. Forestry guys know what they are doing.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 11:02 am Take a look via satellite west of Kelowna there is huge amount of clear cut that will take many decades or longer to grow back. If it’s actually been replanted.
BC Landlord wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 11:11 am To my knowledge, they are required by law to replant. Otherwise, they would lose their license. Spruce grows pretty fast, especially given more space, such as clear-cut patches. Forestry guys know what they are doing.
I’ve seen numerous replanted clearcuts that forest management haven’t come back to remove the weed of trees Poplar trees. They will drown out replanted trees.
Fast growing weeds are poplar trees.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I’ve seen numerous replanted clearcuts that forest management haven’t come back to remove the weed of trees Poplar trees. They will drown out replanted trees.
Fast growing weeds are poplar trees.
Agreed ..Thinning and spacing needs to be done to control faster growing deciduous trees to allow conifers to grow properly , but we know that ...

So does forest " management " , but there in lies the problem ,in the fact that there is NO said "management "..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

GordonH wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 11:02 am ake a look via satellite west of Kelowna there is huge amount of clear cut that will take many decades or longer to grow back. If it’s actually been replanted.
BC Landlord wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 11:11 am To my knowledge, they are required by law to replant.
Exactly. Within 2 years of harvest completion.
BC Landlord wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 11:11 am Forestry guys know what they are doing.
And girls.. Yes, today best practices are constantly being implemented and utilized by both the ministry and private sector.
MAPearce wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 10:58 am End the clear cuts and harvest old growth like it's a crop , just like we do for fruits and vegetables in a garden
Thing is, clear cuts are so much safer(and cheaper) to harvest timber. I have yet to be hit on the head by an errant strawberry leaf. Select is a method to harvest desirable valuable species(yellow cedar perhaps) when the surrounding trees are over mature and value in the market does not cover the cost of harvesting. I used to harvest beetle attacked trees on a selective basis where the non attacked trees were left behind. In most cases a subsidy of some sort was required to harvest with a helicopter.
MAPearce wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 10:58 am old growth will die and rot and be worth nothing if left un harvested .
Kind of but not really. In the "old growth" stands on the coast I've worked in, there is a variety of age classes where, your right in some are so over mature they fell apart when they hit the ground. Put those out of their misery. Some trees were straight 200 year old cedars that would fetch thousands as a 110 foot pole for example.
I come back to Lighthouse Park in West Van. Never been logged and there are trees of every age class. I haven't been in there for 25 years or more but I seem to remember there were more smaller "newer" trees than the old Doug firs one saw at the entrance to the trails.
Falling on Vancouver Island in 2001 ( day 9/11 happened) I was in a stand of "old growth" Same thing, most were younger trees, maybe 24-36" dbh, classic natural regeneration, with the odd larger diameter tree.(48" + )
These protesters are just making a business out of protesting. More fuss they make, more donations come in and more bonus's are dished out to the management. That watershed in question I understand is mostly protected as the local band worked with forestry, private and government, to develop a satisfactory plan to harvest a certain amount of the said timber.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Poll/3347 ... sts#334791

So, what do you see in the picture?

I see one big cedar tree in an opening surrounded by smaller trees, including poplars and a small half rotten hemlock.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

seewood wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 3:15 pm https://www.castanet.net/news/Poll/3347 ... sts#334791

So, what do you see in the picture?
Hmmm, ... a dendrophile getting aroused ?? :135:
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

BC Landlord wrote: May 23rd, 2021, 4:15 pm Hmmm, ... a dendrophile getting aroused ??
Ha, had to look that one up. :130: pretty much spot on :up:
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

If one is ever perusing a book store, "Big lonely Doug" is not a bad read. Large single Douglas fir left in a clear cut. The book references the area currently impacted this month by protesters and loggers. Harley Rustad is author.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I'm not picking sides here, but I did read this article today. https://www.macleans.ca/longforms/briti ... wth-trees/
189372112_10158890693941628_4020304229136754168_n.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Social Concerns”