"Faith" in the 21st Century?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: "Faith" in the 21st Century?

Post by Glacier »

capleton wrote:
Hmmm wrote:You seem to be completely confused as to what I believe.. Maybe just stick to what you believe and I'll explain myself if I feel like it. Thank you for your input though.
Show one thing in the the Bible is scientific and that any Bible prophecy has come to pass.
I haven't watched this video, but it's the first thing that came up when I googled "has prophecy been fulfilled bible."

You can vet it for me if you're bored on a Friday.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

I hear that HBO ran a 6-part series on Q-Anon. Not surprising to me, some "Evangelical" et al pastors are finding that the conspiracy theory is beginning to grab hold of people in their flocks. As I said elsewhere in this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if Christians are grabbed by the Q-Anon conspiracies and nonsense. It requires faith, something a lot of people feel a need to express, it delineates between right and wrong on its own terms, and it is uniquely American. Why waste time on faiths that originate in the Near East and are 2,000 years old.
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

Glacier wrote: Feb 5th, 2021, 3:20 pm
capleton wrote:
Show one thing in the the Bible is scientific and that any Bible prophecy has come to pass.
I haven't watched this video, but it's the first thing that came up when I googled "has prophecy been fulfilled bible."

You can vet it for me if you're bored on a Friday.

Why don't you summarize it in your own words and we can analyze it if its rubbish or not.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

capleton wrote: Feb 27th, 2022, 7:44 pm Why don't you summarize it in your own words and we can analyze it if its rubbish or not.
Well, I watched about 10 minutes of it. Not sure I can go much further really.

I don't like Aron Ra. I find him far too aggressive. I'm not sure why he expects everyone to think the way he does. He has a smugness about him that I dislike. Mike Winger is much more personable, but just as Aron Ra is trying to talk to his version of atheists, Mike is aiming his conversation to believers. Neither seems to be producing honesty, though I bet they both think they are.

I'll recap the first point Mike attempts to make:
Aron cites the bible where a snake talks, and says something like "Snakes don't talk".
Mike comes back saying that Aron is misrepresenting the bible cause the bible doesn't say snakes talk, it says that one snake talked.

Aron isn't saying that the bible says all snakes talk. He's saying that no snake talks, so that snake couldn't have talked either.

The exact same commentary continues with reference to a talking donkey. One donkey is written to have talked, but Aron says donkeys don't talk... etc.

Then Mike goes on to say:
Statement 1: "I think here is where skeptics (atheists) and Christians can agree: It requires a miracle of god for a donkey to talk."

1. Atheists don't believe in a god(s). I don't know any atheists would agree with his statement.

Statement 2: "It requires some sort of supernatural being to make a snake make words in some sense"

2. What? I suppose it's also proof of god that parrots can talk. I've never seen a donkey talk. I've never heard of anyone witnessing a donkey talk. Donkey's don't talk in english or hebrew. But it wouldn't require a god for a donkey to talk. It didn't require a god for humans to talk. We're not special, not are donkeys. We're just different from donkeys and as such, we don't share the same language.
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

youjustcomplain wrote: Feb 28th, 2022, 8:46 am
capleton wrote: Feb 27th, 2022, 7:44 pm Why don't you summarize it in your own words and we can analyze it if its rubbish or not.
Well, I watched about 10 minutes of it. Not sure I can go much further really.

I don't like Aron Ra. I find him far too aggressive. I'm not sure why he expects everyone to think the way he does. He has a smugness about him that I dislike. Mike Winger is much more personable, but just as Aron Ra is trying to talk to his version of atheists, Mike is aiming his conversation to believers. Neither seems to be producing honesty, though I bet they both think they are.

I'll recap the first point Mike attempts to make:
Aron cites the bible where a snake talks, and says something like "Snakes don't talk".
Mike comes back saying that Aron is misrepresenting the bible cause the bible doesn't say snakes talk, it says that one snake talked.

Aron isn't saying that the bible says all snakes talk. He's saying that no snake talks, so that snake couldn't have talked either.

The exact same commentary continues with reference to a talking donkey. One donkey is written to have talked, but Aron says donkeys don't talk... etc.

Then Mike goes on to say:
Statement 1: "I think here is where skeptics (atheists) and Christians can agree: It requires a miracle of god for a donkey to talk."

1. Atheists don't believe in a god(s). I don't know any atheists would agree with his statement.

Statement 2: "It requires some sort of supernatural being to make a snake make words in some sense"

2. What? I suppose it's also proof of god that parrots can talk. I've never seen a donkey talk. I've never heard of anyone witnessing a donkey talk. Donkey's don't talk in english or hebrew. But it wouldn't require a god for a donkey to talk. It didn't require a god for humans to talk. We're not special, not are donkeys. We're just different from donkeys and as such, we don't share the same language.
Seems pretty straight forward, donkeys and snakes don't talk in reality. God magic and fairy tales in Iron aged books aren't evidence, only claims. I don't see what your objections are at all.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

capleton wrote: Sep 22nd, 2022, 8:56 pm Seems pretty straight forward, donkeys and snakes don't talk in reality. God magic and fairy tales in Iron aged books aren't evidence, only claims. I don't see what your objections are at all.
I don't believe a donkey ever talked. But I can't say one never did. What we share is a complete lack of belief in the bible. We agree that we don't believe a donkey talked. You'd just be taking it one step further to state that you know that a donkey never talked.

If you want to claim that you know a donkey never talked, then I think it's only fair for you to produce the same level of evidence that you'd expect from the believe making the opposite claim. If you can't provide evidence, then I think you'd be using belief to come to your conclusion.
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

youjustcomplain wrote: Sep 23rd, 2022, 8:37 am
capleton wrote: Sep 22nd, 2022, 8:56 pm Seems pretty straight forward, donkeys and snakes don't talk in reality. God magic and fairy tales in Iron aged books aren't evidence, only claims. I don't see what your objections are at all.
I don't believe a donkey ever talked. But I can't say one never did. What we share is a complete lack of belief in the bible. We agree that we don't believe a donkey talked. You'd just be taking it one step further to state that you know that a donkey never talked.

If you want to claim that you know a donkey never talked, then I think it's only fair for you to produce the same level of evidence that you'd expect from the believe making the opposite claim. If you can't provide evidence, then I think you'd be using belief to come to your conclusion.
Donkeys don't have the vocal cords to talk like humans do, so basic biology pretty much shows that donkeys have never talked outside of myths and fairy tales. Maybe next time you want me to prove that the Magic Pink Unicorn doesn't orbit the sun?
Old Sailor
Board Meister

Post by Old Sailor »

I dunno as there's a few dumbazzes on here who talk. :biggrin:
Hello Darkness my old friend...I stood up too fast again!
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

capleton wrote: Sep 23rd, 2022, 4:31 pm Donkeys don't have the vocal cords to talk like humans do, so basic biology pretty much shows that donkeys have never talked outside of myths and fairy tales. Maybe next time you want me to prove that the Magic Pink Unicorn doesn't orbit the sun?
Nobody is asking you for proof of anything. It's you who seems to think you can prove everyone wrong. And you can't.

It's not possible to prove there isn't a Magic Pink Unicorn orbiting the sun. Safe to say, there isn't one. The reason we can agree on this though is that we don't believe in Magic Pink Unicorns, so it's a safe bet that there isn't one anywhere, let alone in orbit of the sun, but nobody knows for sure now do they? If you do, then you either have information granted to you and nobody else, or you're just overconfident in your arrogance.
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

youjustcomplain wrote: Sep 26th, 2022, 7:52 am
capleton wrote: Sep 23rd, 2022, 4:31 pm Donkeys don't have the vocal cords to talk like humans do, so basic biology pretty much shows that donkeys have never talked outside of myths and fairy tales. Maybe next time you want me to prove that the Magic Pink Unicorn doesn't orbit the sun?
Nobody is asking you for proof of anything. It's you who seems to think you can prove everyone wrong. And you can't.

It's not possible to prove there isn't a Magic Pink Unicorn orbiting the sun. Safe to say, there isn't one. The reason we can agree on this though is that we don't believe in Magic Pink Unicorns, so it's a safe bet that there isn't one anywhere, let alone in orbit of the sun, but nobody knows for sure now do they? If you do, then you either have information granted to you and nobody else, or you're just overconfident in your arrogance.
Pathetic excuses. Humans imagine all sorts of nonsensical things which is why there is 40000 sects of Christianity and thousands of non-Abrahamic religions. Who have i tried to prove wrong? All I have done is asked questions and cited facts. Are you saying donkeys have the same vocal cords as humans or maybe gawd magic maybe caused one to speak one time?
The Straken
Board Meister

Post by The Straken »

So what are the odds that a donkey could be born with radically mutated vocal cords that allow it to make sounds that are different then any other donkey. 1 in 1,000,000,000?
trump is a blight on that once great country.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Probably not possible. That's why it would be considered a miracle if it happened. If you're the creator of the universe then you can defy the laws of nature whenever you want in theory.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

youjustcomplain wrote: Sep 23rd, 2022, 8:37 am I don't believe a donkey ever talked. But I can't say one never did.
The donkey never talked. We all know that. Lots of things in the bible never happened.

If your topic is about how religious people are clueless, I would say 75% - just like non-religious people.

A preacher will tell people "don't store up treasures on earth but store up treasures in heaven"
then the preacher takes $$$$ from the people, and rush out to inject something that wanes in three weeks. The preachers tell people "JESUS HEALS" then runs to the doctor for something as ridiculous as blood pressure pills. Just go for a walk every day.
Hmmm wrote: Jan 30th, 2021, 3:04 am ...The crazy stuff some religions teach is not in the Bible or in harmony with proven science....
:up: Yeah. Like how the Jehova's Witnesses forced 17,000 of their workers in NY state to get an untested vaxxine, and they pushed the vaxxine 'pretty hard' on their six million faithful people. Totally not in harmony with science, but in harmony with big corporation profits.

Faith is good. Bible is good (just ignore the useless stuff). Religion is just some men telling people stuff.

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Thinktank wrote: Oct 4th, 2022, 6:34 am Faith is good. Bible is good (just ignore the useless stuff). Religion is just some men telling people stuff.
What makes Faith good?
What makes the bible good?
Who decides what is useless?

I've never found anything useful in the Bible. Anyone can tear pages out of the Bible to demonstrate that the Bible is littered with awfulness.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

youjustcomplain wrote: Oct 4th, 2022, 8:54 am I've never found anything useful in the Bible.
USEFUL THING #6 - DON'T LIE!
Africa will have 1.3 billion people in 2050 - yet they were exempt from getting the vaccine this pandemic, for some reason.

But Canadian babies, big pharma says, should get the vaxine to protect themselves because older people (grandparents) who look after them often get sick often.
A year ago we were being told the babies should get the vaxine to protect grandma, now they get it to be protected from grandma. That - is known as lying. For me, the bible is useful because I hate liars. :smt045
she's lying.

USEFUL THING #9 - DON'T KILL!
Even the most disgusting people - like Trudeau, Freeland and Joly - know it's not nice to kill people. Yet, they just
can't help grinning as they hand out $2 billion dollars that will be used to kill Russians, and a lot more Ukrainians.
They just can't help themselves. Jesus said about Trudeau, Freeland and Joly "Forgive them because they know not what they do."
“If we see that Germany is winning the war, we ought to help Russia; and if that Russia is winning, we ought to help Germany, and in that way let them kill as many as possible.. . ” - Harry Truman - American President
^ that is the most two-faced you can get. According to the bible - two-faced people are no good. that's useful to know. :up:
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”