Gardening 2021: berries, veggies, trees and flowers!

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
seewood
Guru

Re: Gardening 2021: berries, veggies, trees and flowers!

Post by seewood »

I am not wealthy but I am rich
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

What a good idea to stake zuc plants. I have always chopped off dead and dying leafs without realizing that they. should have been removed in any case. The comments that follow the post are also very instructive

Thanks for bringing this to our attention seewood. Good job.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

seewood wrote: May 24th, 2021, 9:22 am For ones that grow zucchini: https://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/youv ... all-wrong/
Yes, excellent idea.
Now I just have to figure out which is the zucchini plant. :135:
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

For those growing zucchini and don't want to be known as the neighbour who makes midnight runs to get rid of the over abundance of crop, remove some of the blossoms and make stuffed zucchini blossoms/flowers.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I think we still have shredded zucchini in the freezer from 1985. :200:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I didn't plant any zuchs this year - no point. We don't really like them and now we're keto so not going to bother. I know they can be spiralized and used as a noodle replacement, but it isn't a good noodle replacement, so NO.

I did plant spaghetti squash from seed, those are up now. So are my cucumbers and my beans! Pole beans, bush beans, and black beans. I was wondering if the black beans would work as I had gotten them from a (then) neighbour and it had been a while. But they came up, so that makes me happy. I'm going to share them with my MIL, since she can eat them. And my BIL, he's vegetarian and really likes them (he has planted 4 zucchini plants!).

I didn't plant swiss chard but I do have some volunteers happening. My peppers look sad. I went out and gave them and the tomatoes a shot of Miracle Grow.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Young zuc, sliced in 1/4” rounds, fried briefly in butter and onto plate with hot roasted beef is delicious.

Spuds doing just fine, cucs lookin good but poor zapped tomato plants ....need i say more?

The old fellah’s irises took off like a race horse at Triple Crown, a glorious sight of colour and abundance (this after I had given up hope]
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

They needed the rain, maybe?

My irises are starting to bloom but I have a LOT more purple and white where I didn't plant those . . . very odd. It's like they reverted to that from what I had planted . . .

Are you going to plant more tomatoes? My MIL had to buy some more as hers got zapped as well.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I hope this will relieve the stress of pruning vrs not pruning.

Bring back the LIKE button.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Here is another youtube video that may be of interest to us tomato growers.

Bring back the LIKE button.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

^^^
Good video Alan. Thanks.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

CC is smoking hot from all the plant purchases today. And had to buy dirt.

Was very frustrated at a well known nursery today but finding the pink blueberry plants I wanted made it worth it.

I also did not buy zuchs this year. Giving us a break from them. Concentrating on peas, garlics. Actually planted carrots and lettuce seeds. Throwing the seeds helter skelter around tomato plants, whatever fills in the gaps is ok.

HOLY Smokes, plant prices have increased! Anyone else notice? I didn't buy nearly what I usually do either. I am using a lot of volunteer plants as infill and throwing in nastursium seeds again. Late but the ones in the planters didn't do anything, only one survived and became a viable flower plant.

I notice on the fb sites more and more people asking for free plants and now I know why.

Colour theme for wheelbarrels, red and yellows. Never done that one before. Of course the volunteer Catch Fly will add hot pink and the bee balm from Lady T is pink. I may move it though. Not too late I don't think.

We are creating plant barriers against the fence this year. New dirt to fillout the footing areas for beans, not even for eating just just colour and screening. Might eat some.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Not for nothing, The Greenry had an evil rumour about it being out of plants. NOT true at all. Lots left. Just not the huge selection you may be accustomed to, but lots left. A bit less now that we are back home mind you. :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

LOL!

Yeah, I agree. The perennial section is decimated - and I further depleted it on my last trip (Thursday). But my MIL had no problems locating squashes and tomatoes to take home with her.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Last year they had Starry Night on their two for one sale. Not so much this year.

We further depleted the squash section ourselves!

And my chose theme for the wheelbarrels is red and yellow. So those predominate this year. :130:

Return to “Creative Endeavours”