Alternative to dead cedar?

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
SmartieParts

Re: Alternative to dead cedar?

Post by SmartieParts »

TylerM4 wrote:
SmartieParts wrote:I did just read the other day that some lumber prices have increased, but I didn't really think about it too much. Is it a big increase?

I wonder if I'd have any success taking the tree off the end and using it to fill the space? Really, "privacy" isn't so much an issue. It is a tiny front yard that is completely unused and is completely exposed to the street, so what privacy is there to protect? I'm not really sure why they are even there lol. But the gap looks stupid.

Lumber today is at least 2x the price it was 18 months ago. Might be 3x I haven't been watching closely.

I'd be careful with transplanting. You might end up with 2 dead plants. Cedars do have a fairly small root ball and now would be the time of year to do it tho.

Rather than transplanting, I'd be tempted to bite the bullet and buy a potted semi-mature tree. You can buy them from local nursery's as large as 6 or even 7' tall. It'll cost you $100 vs the $25 you'd pay for a 3' tall tree but probably worth it in your case.

Yeah, but that is what we did last year, and paid a professional to plant it! They were $150 each (cost us $1200 for all 4 with labour). They are all dead now, like you see in the photo. There was talk about having them replaced under warranty, but the landscaper has moved on to other things and I don't think he's coming back. Don't try to judge though... its complicated and I don't blame him. There are details I haven't provided (and won't). My point is, I'm not sure trying that again makes sense. I wondered/hoped that moving trees that have already succeeded in this particular soil would stand a better chance.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Yews are a good alternative to cedars. They fare better in our climate, as they are more drought resistant, but way more expensive than cedars.

https://okanaganxeriscape.org/db/plant/249
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Here is an old thread with some suggestions.
(Miss you Gramma Freddie.)

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=56072
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

gardengirl wrote: May 24th, 2021, 11:32 am Yews are a good alternative to cedars. They fare better in our climate, as they are more drought resistant, but way more expensive than cedars.

https://okanaganxeriscape.org/db/plant/249
Looks like a great alternative except for the "very poisonous" part!

I never did find a suitable alternative :(
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

On the topic of cedars, we have a large cedar hedge on our property.

When we bought the place, there were three small cedars at one end of the hedge that had been planted to replace some that were cut down.
I continued to water them over the years before coming to the conclusion that they weren't growing. So I dug them up and planted new ones.

Jump ahead about ten years these new ones have grown maybe a foot. That's all. A neighbours cedars already have several inches growth this year.

So what is wrong? Is there a secret to growing them? I water them plenty.
Or do new ones just not do well beside established cedars?
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

bb49 wrote: May 25th, 2021, 3:22 pm So what is wrong? Is there a secret to growing them? I water them plenty.
Or do new ones just not do well beside established cedars?
It's hard to say. Some considerations that honestly would apply to just about any plant:
- Cedars grow best in full sun. Is the end of the hedge row getting shaded? Perhaps by the older plants?
- Cedars like a lot of water, but it must also be in well drained soil. Is the drainage in that area sufficient?
- Cedars do like good soil with plenty of nutrients. Did you fortify the soil when you replaced the dead plants? If not, the previous plants may have leached many of the nutrients out of the soil.
- Check your soil acidity. Cedars like a slightly acidic soil (PH of 6.0-6.5). Water in the Okanagan tends to be slightly basic (PH of 7.5-8.0) depending on the source, time of year, etc. The right soil acidity for the plant is important as it greatly helps with the plant's ability to extract nutrients from the soil.
- Cedars are not a fast growing plant at the best of times. If you add 12" of height in a year then that's actually doing really well. Common to see plants that only add 6 or 8" of height in a year. Generally it takes 5+ years for replacement hedging cedars to "look right".
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Someone in my neighbourhood replaced a dead cedar that was in a row of cedars with a black metal frame that had a piece of metal art hanging in the middle. Hard to describe, but it looks really nice. He has two such frames, located in separately in his cedar hedge.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

Any chance you could post some photos?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bring back the LIKE button.
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

In my case that wouldn't work. The idea is to separate the two properties, not provide a gateway between them :). But the artsie idea mentioned above might work. It's like to see it!
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

would something like this work for you bazinga47 ?? you could get the back built solid and go as high as you want

098fa35c7e81d47f67d28e4212942fa9.jpg
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Remove the dead cedar, install an arbor, and plant something like a Wisteria or Clematis and train it to fill in the gap.
ABOUT WISTERIA
Wisteria is a long-lived vining plant with cascades of blue to purple flowers that look spectacular hanging from a pergola or archway in spring and early summer. However, this vine is a fast and aggressive grower—often reaching 30+ feet long—and is known to grow quite heavy. Wisteria vines will work their way into any crook or cranny they can reach, so it’s advised to not plant them too near to your home.
https://www.almanac.com/plant/wisteria

Clematis is more high maintenance.
https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&rlz= ... 66&bih=625
bazinga42
Fledgling

Post by bazinga42 »

W105 wrote: May 26th, 2021, 12:40 pm would something like this work for you bazinga47 ?? you could get the back built solid and go as high as you want

098fa35c7e81d47f67d28e4212942fa9.jpg
Possibly! I have a hard time picturing. It works be much narrower, and with cedars on either side. But yes, that's the sort of thing I was envisioning. Thanks.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

You are welcome, I am glad that I could help.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”