Old growth logging

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Old growth logging

Post by Hurtlander »

How come those tree hugging hippies aren’t protesting the logging of high elevation, 400-500 year old Sub Alpine fir ? Is it because the old growth Alpine fir is only 12-16 inches on the stump and don’t look as majestic, or is it because the high elevation log blocks are too far removed from their baristas ?
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Hurtlander wrote: May 26th, 2021, 6:41 pm How come those tree hugging hippies aren’t protesting the logging of high elevation, 400-500 year old Sub Alpine fir ? Is it because the old growth Alpine fir is only 12-16 inches on the stump and don’t look as majestic, or is it because the high elevation log blocks are too far removed from their baristas ?
Cut this Yellow Cedar many years ago at the back end of Brandywine Valley, one before Callaghan Valley where some of the Olympic events were held.
High elevation, maybe 3500 ASL. This tree was in a stand of 20-24" dbh alpine Hemlock all by it's self .
left over from I fire perhaps? 13' at it's widest.
Webp.net-resizeimage (28).jpg
Squamish has changed to barista loving save everything types. In the olden days there was a great community spirit when BC Rail, Interfor, Chemical plant, Woodfibre all supplied well paying jobs where the employees could afford to purchase houses and contribute to the community. For the most part forestry orientated incomes. Now it is a bedroom community of Vancouver or Whistler and house prices are in my opinion stupid expensive for what you get in return. Hence the issue of street camping in town. Change is constant I suppose, perhaps not always for the better.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

Stop the demand for the trees by building small houses. There is no need for any houses over 1500 sq/ft depending on the family size. I find it funny and contradictory when you hear tree hugging retirees complain about cutting trees when they live in 2500 sq/ft homes. Kelowna is a great example.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

ckil wrote: May 27th, 2021, 11:39 am Stop the demand for the trees by building small houses.
... and the left should stop rioting in the streets, so less boarding up of businesses.
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

BC Landlord wrote: May 27th, 2021, 12:38 pm
ckil wrote: May 27th, 2021, 11:39 am Stop the demand for the trees by building small houses.
... and the left should stop rioting in the streets, so less boarding up of businesses.
lol...good point.
gertlush
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by gertlush »

What do you guys have against baristas?
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

ckil wrote: May 27th, 2021, 11:39 am Stop the demand for the trees by building small houses. There is no need for any houses over 1500 sq/ft depending on the family size. I find it funny and contradictory when you hear tree hugging retirees complain about cutting trees when they live in 2500 sq/ft homes. Kelowna is a great example.
Also - Safeway should dump paper bags and go back to plastic!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

oldtrucker wrote: May 27th, 2021, 11:01 am Who ever is buying this wood -every company along the line should be boycotted.
This is disgusting. And all levels of gov't that enabled this, you are disgusting,was it worth the money?....Shame on you!
It could also be that the tree in question was at the end of its life. We don't know that. If so, why let it rot?
gertlush
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by gertlush »

Rightly or wrongly i think Teal is going to lose this one, terrible optics for them.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

oldtrucker wrote: May 27th, 2021, 3:28 pm That's all part of the system. Just think, if those trees are allowed to die and fall as they should....someone in 100 years will be walking along that half rotted giant log and appreciate it was left alone to rot. To me thats worth more than any amount of money, jobs etc.
It's part of the natural balance of the forest.
Not sure what's so exciting about walking over a rotten log. :135:
To my knowledge, logging is already heavily regulated. There are numerous protocols that logging companies need to follow. In my mind, it's better to leave younger growth and harvest older. It's not a matter of emotions.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

gertlush wrote: May 27th, 2021, 3:32 pm Rightly or wrongly i think Teal is going to lose this one, terrible optics for them.
I don't think so. Currently teal is trying to build road into an area approved by the local first nations with the band being involved in a joint venture with Teal where some of the logs harvested feed the local bands custom cut sawmill providing jobs for the band members.
The area slated for logging over the next few years is just a fraction of the whole area that has been put aside, never to be touched, unless the first nations want to log it eventually like Isaak forest products have in Clayoquot Sound.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

oldtrucker wrote: May 27th, 2021, 4:41 pm In other words...It will be destroyed, if there is money to be made on it.
What is "it" ? if you mean the majority of standing timber in Fairy Creek, doubt it very much.

Without a doubt, original, untouched forest is a wonderful experience. A hike up to Black Tusk, Garibaldi Lake is such a hike.
A hike, after crossing Squamish River, up to Tantalus area is again a toodle up steep unlogged ground.

Bella Coola, if you like dodging Grizzly bears and devils club you could make lumber from, is rather nice. Wear a bug suit there.

Back end of Khutzeymateen inlet has huge Sitka Spruce trees, some 12 foot in diameter. Again, going to have to get along with the grizzlies, highest concentration of those bears in North America, and decent river fishing.

What I'm saying is there is plenty of "old growth" out there that is protected. Yes, even on Vancouver Island. many do not have the where-a-with-all to go driving around active logging roads to have a walk about in some old growth. Take a walk around Lighthouse Park. Even a walk up the trails on the front of Grouse mountain have large trees(24-36" dbh), although 2nd growth.
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

Pacheedaht First Nation struck a revenue-sharing deal with the province in 2017, regarding Teal and this logging issue.
Now we have opposing sides with in the said Native bands. Will be interesting which side win's between the same people's.
gertlush
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by gertlush »

seewood wrote: May 27th, 2021, 4:30 pm
gertlush wrote: May 27th, 2021, 3:32 pm Rightly or wrongly i think Teal is going to lose this one, terrible optics for them.
I don't think so. Currently teal is trying to build road into an area approved by the local first nations with the band being involved in a joint venture with Teal where some of the logs harvested feed the local bands custom cut sawmill providing jobs for the band members.
The area slated for logging over the next few years is just a fraction of the whole area that has been put aside, never to be touched, unless the first nations want to log it eventually like Isaak forest products have in Clayoquot Sound.
I dunno... you got the wrinklies out there marching now too. Lots of high profile media... how many votes does Teal Jones have? Horgan will fold... theyll call a halt for consultations or something. Buy off the 1st nations with some cash and Teal can pound sand. We can have a gentlemans bet :D
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

ckil wrote: May 27th, 2021, 11:39 am Stop the demand for the trees by building small houses. There is no need for any houses over 1500 sq/ft depending on the family size. I find it funny and contradictory when you hear tree hugging retirees complain about cutting trees when they live in 2500 sq/ft homes. Kelowna is a great example.
1500 sq ft. Hmm, why not 1400, or 1300? How about 1000 sq ft? And is that total square footage or per floor.
Looking back at my houses, 1050, 1600 and now 1350 sq ft. So is that acceptable? Do I get a Like?

And this, ....tree hugging retirees... [icon_lol2.gif]
Is it okay for millenials to have a 2500 sq ft home?

You would make a great NPDer, restricting house sizes by age of the owner.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate

Return to “Social Concerns”