Old growth logging

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Old growth logging

Post by kgcayenne »

Habitat disruption of the magnitude proposed is most certainly NOT forest ‘management’, it is profit procurement. It is deleterious to many species and our watersheds and weather patterns. A fallen mature tree creates habitat and growth media for many animals and organisms. Logging, however, does not.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

kgcayenne wrote: May 27th, 2021, 11:08 pm Habitat disruption of the magnitude proposed is most certainly NOT forest ‘management’, it is profit procurement.
Wood is a commodity, much like copper from open pit mines or rare earths for all things electrical (mined). How about ski hills where trees are harvested but never again replanted? Then the hypocrites want to ski on clear cuts ( usually never previously harvested) but not look at any although the trees in cut blocks DO grow back, much like corn does every year in the Fraser valley after clear cutting the trees off the fields in the first place.

Guess what, there is profit to be made in harvesting trees and then making lumber to build your house(s), much like mining gold and the copper for wires running throughout ones house. In the past, taxes from the timber industry paid for most of our highway system in BC, built hospitals and schools. Today the industry is a fraction of what it once was as is the revenue stream from taxes.
These protests movements are funded by donations and are run no different than any business with management salaries etc. More noise they make, more donations roll in.

On another note, the pic of the oversized spruce was cut many years ago and was picked up from a dry sort on Vancouver Island. going to be transported to port Alberni to be, I suspect, custom cut to various dimensions, maybe even "tone wood" to make guitars.
Every time for the past 20 years or so a company wants to harvest timber on the West coast of the Island or mid coast somewhere, all we hear is this is the last stand of old growth and has to be saved. Stuck record and then much is put aside with stakeholders , including FN's input, blessing and some timber gets harvested. Walbran Valley is an example of that.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Profits can also be made from water treatment to address the disruption of the watershed and natural water treatment performed by evapotranspiration, etc. Profits also come via rebuilding and cleaning up after flooding because the watershed and runoff patterns are screwed up. Everything we do has a flip-side cost, and we are paying for it-not the parent corporations who own the logging companies.

I have heard it said that humans are the only species that can be eradicated without causing an environmental domino effect.
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

kgcayenne wrote: May 27th, 2021, 11:08 pm Habitat disruption of the magnitude proposed is most certainly NOT forest ‘management’, it is profit procurement. It is deleterious to many species and our watersheds and weather patterns. A fallen mature tree creates habitat and growth media for many animals and organisms. Logging, however, does not.
Totally agree. This goes beyond what humans want and corporate greed.
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

kgcayenne wrote: May 27th, 2021, 11:08 pm A fallen mature tree creates habitat and growth media for many animals and organisms. Logging, however, does not.
I disagree, logging does create habitat for many people, and if you want, dog houses, barns, etc. Looking at all the construction going on, I suspect many believe logging and lumber does create habitat.

In an old growth forest there are large over mature trees as well as many , if not more, trees that are considered succession trees.
The idea that the forest is full off 5-7 foot diameter trees is not completely accurate.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

seewood wrote: May 28th, 2021, 12:43 pm I disagree, logging does create habitat for many people, and if you want, dog houses, barns, etc. Looking at all the construction going on, I suspect many believe logging and lumber does create habitat.
While your observations about human habitat is not inaccurate, we need to work harder at balancing our wants with sustainable use of our resources. Methods that have been used up until and including now are not balanced.
seewood wrote: May 28th, 2021, 12:43 pm In an old growth forest there are large over mature trees as well as many , if not more, trees that are considered succession trees.
The idea that the forest is full off 5-7 foot diameter trees is not completely accurate.
At no time did I suggest your latter statement. I stand by my assertion that forestry as proposed is disruptive to natural deadfall/regeneration cycles that contribute to soil stability and the quality of water in the watersheds. The natural forest does not raze a swath to facilitate access by large equipment, in other words, the natural forest cycle does not contaminate or destroy an entire ecosystem.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

kgcayenne wrote: May 28th, 2021, 9:56 am I have heard it said that humans are the only species that can be eradicated without causing an environmental domino effect.
Except that people who are so vocal about the depopulation never lead by example.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

oldtrucker wrote: May 30th, 2021, 2:18 pm Okay.... my solution to overpopulation,immigration and the environmental destruction it leads to....
-Lose the constant economic growth model in a closed system.
-All high population growth rate countries deemed a threat to global security. No relationship/trade of any kind with high reproduction rate countries and sanctions/total cut off for any country that allows their people to reproduce themselves more than once. ( China had the right idea)
-Do that for 3 generations so population drops to less than 4 billion.
-No culling required, environment saved from overpopulation , and it's fair to all.
-Done.
You see, .. those countries with high population growth are almost exclusively impoverished societies. Traditionally, they have numerous family members to be able to provide for food and other necessities. Often combined with high mortality rates (hardship, diseases, etc), this all calls for a high birth rate.
The only civilized way out of that would be to help them out of poverty, and that can't be accomplished without the economic growth and cheap energy, both of which nowadays leftists and phony environmentalists are opposed to.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

oldtrucker wrote: May 30th, 2021, 3:39 pm Maybe shudda addressed that in about 1950 when population was below 2.5B.
So what's your population cut off point where you say there is no civilized way of dealing with it? 10B,12B ?
It's too late now. Besides, in order for one to be defined as poor, there have to be the rich to compare to- for a base line.
Without poor people, you can't be defined as being rich.
If everyone was struck by lightning from the equality gods and everyone gave up what they had to lift all on earth out of poverty....1 billion in Africa, a few more billion elsewhere.....our standard of living here in the west would drop by 90%-95%. Lumber couldn't be 15$ for a 2X4 and a 1100sqft house couldn't be $1.1 million for that to work. People here don't give a bleep about their own senior citizen neighbours that can't afford housing, medicine or food. And that's just on the money side.
Lets go back to the forest side of things.....What forest? There wont be a single tree left on earth, never mind old growth if this is allowed to continue at this rate.
There should never be a population "cut-off point", by design. Once we get to that, we are talking eugenics, and that's a vary nasty thing.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

:topic:

Old Growth Logging
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Catsumi wrote: May 30th, 2021, 4:37 pm :topic:

Old Growth Logging
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: / 5
Bring back the LIKE button.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

This latest protest got me thinking, how many times have we heard that same spiel,
This is the last untouched valley in blah blah blah.

Ever since, the 80s, the 90s, environmental groups have used this line.
Is it true this time?
I have no idea but when ever I hear it, I just pass it off as another anti-logging demonstration.
Maybe I'm a bit numb to these groups and their doom and gloom preaching.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

bb49 wrote: May 30th, 2021, 9:10 pm This latest protest got me thinking, how many times have we heard that same spiel,
This is the last untouched valley in blah blah blah.

Ever since, the 80s, the 90s, environmental groups have used this line.
Is it true this time?
No it is not true . The mid coast, according to a RPF that was on CBC's noon program last week, mentioned there is 100 years of harvesting available in first growth in BC's mid coast timber supply area. Without a doubt there will be another point of view contesting remaining first growth timber, but hope facts play out and the forest sector continues to log and provide jobs and wood products many of use use every day.
By far, most of Fairy creek is protected, what is proposed to be harvested is a small area of a much larger area.
I really hope the government does not cave, I suspect they won't as the local FN has blessed the limited harvesting.

This gets harvested over the years and before long we will hear the same hyperbole about this is the last stand of old growth in another proposed area with first growth timber.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

^^^
Thanks Seewood. That's pretty well what I suspected.

I spent a lifetime working in the forest industry, coast and interior, did my share of "raping and pillaging", so I often know when these groups are stringing a line or telling the truth. Which they seldom do.
Its just that I've lost touch with the coastal industry.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Social Concerns”