Heritage House being Moved or something else

A potpourri of off-topics.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Heritage House being Moved or something else

Post by GordonH »

I happened to be driving south on Richter and noticed roof of possible heritage house had been removed.
F15A0B35-8EFE-4CA6-ABD8-178325C6108D.jpeg

Does anyone know what is happening???
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH

Re: Heritage House being Moved or something else

Post by GordonH »

Drove past this morning the house is raised up getting ready for a trailer. I suspect traffic lights & low hanging wires could be an issue.
I still wonder were it is being moved to???

btw, it now makes sense why the big tree was removed.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

At least they are moving it rather than destroying it.
The roof could well need replacing at this time anyway.

I honestly like the idea of preserving heritage buildings yet updating them.
The chances are the electrical has issues, so why not replace it all and install more plugins where required.
The chances are there is one bedroom you can renovate into a bathroom.
And so on.
Just keep all the fixtures and windows at least looking right.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

stuphoto wrote: May 28th, 2021, 10:31 am At least they are moving it rather than destroying it.
The roof could well need replacing at this time anyway.

I honestly like the idea of preserving heritage buildings yet updating them.
The chances are the electrical has issues, so why not replace it all and install more plugins where required.
The chances are there is one bedroom you can renovate into a bathroom.
And so on.
Just keep all the fixtures and windows at least looking right.
:up:

My replacement for like button :biggrin:
spooker

Post by spooker »

Remember the house at the corner of Saucier Ave and Ethel St?

That was moved a few years ago to a lot at the corner of Ethel and Fuller ... took several years but they finally finished it out with a nice yard and looks to be a basement suite ... sold for $1.25MM from what I heard ... though it seems to have an assessed value of $578,000 ... pretty good for the Lois Lane offspring ...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

It really doesn't matter what is done on the inside, all that is needed is keeping the appearance on the exterior the same to preserve the historical appeal.
Bring back the LIKE button.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I agree with you to a point Alan,
Let's face it, those bedrooms were often tiny and the staircases often steep.
So renovate them for sure.
However I like seeing period looking cupboards in the kitchen plus the original style sinks and tub in the bathroom. At least if it's a clawfoot tub.

Another thing I hate seeing is vinyl or metal siding on the outside.
I know it's better than the original wood siding but doesn't have the character.
Although they are expensive you can at least still get modern, wooden double pane windows that look period.
I used to work for one of the companies making them in Abbotsford many years ago.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Just drove up Richter and it looks like the truck is hooked up and ready to go tonight ...
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

spooker wrote: May 28th, 2021, 9:57 pm Just drove up Richter and it looks like the truck is hooked up and ready to go tonight ...
Still there, so maybe they are planning on a early Sunday morning move least amount of traffic. No idea if they are going north or south on Richter.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... ter-Street
UPDATE: 7 a.m.

A large gathering of emergency vehicles on Richter Street in Kelowna overnight was to facilitate the moving of a heritage house.

The J.N. Thompson house was being moved to a new location.

The two-storey, wood-frame Queen Anne Revival style house previously sat on a large, treed lot near the northwest corner of Richter Street and Sutherland Avenue.

According to the City of Kelowna's heritage register, the home was built in 1911 and is "valued as a fine example of the Queen Anne Revival architectural style, as expressed by the asymmetrical plan and massing and highly articulated facades. The house is a late and transitional example of the style, built at a time when the Classical Revival styles predominated. Local contractor George E. Ritchie was the designer and builder of this prominent home. It has survived in virtually intact original condition and is particularly noteworthy for the rarity of its style in Kelowna, its imposing size and its grand setting on a large lot."

John Nelson Thompson (1870-1956) was a prominent citizen and businessman. He was variously a tobacco grower, an orchardist in the Glenmore area, a founding member of the Central Okanagan Land and Orchard Company and a partner in the Morrison-Thompson Hardware Store.
Some details, but doesn't say where it is moving to.
I haven't failed until I quit.
spooker

Post by spooker »

A later update to the story stated that it was heading out to SE Kelowna ...

Return to “Grab Bag”