https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/ ... n-Kamloops

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/ ... -TteS-land
I hope they are all resting in peace.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Remains of 215 youth found

Post by the truth »

horrible indeed
school closed in 1978, imo anyone that is still alive today that worked there if proven they knew of this and kept it a secret should be locked up no matter how old they are now
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Wave101
Fledgling

Post by Wave101 »

Lets not jump to conclusions. The early twentieth century was rife will deadly diseases and high child mortality rates. People were often buried at holy sites such as church grounds as well.
Lets wait until we get all the facts before we condemn. It isnt sexy for fun or cool to wait for all the facts these days but it is the right thing to do.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Hmmmm, I can't believe no one knew that those kids were buried there until now. The school in Kamloops was in operation for almost 100 years. Over that time, kids would have died from sickness, accidents etc and they would have to have been buried somewhere. I'm sure there are church or government records documenting everything including deaths and burials at the school. Seems like a political thing to me.
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

stuphoto wrote: May 28th, 2021, 10:37 am What a horrible find, although I am not surprised :200:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/ ... n-Kamloops

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kamloops/ ... -TteS-land
I hope they are all resting in peace.
This is so terrible and grief is coming from across the Nation. Thank goodness they were found, maybe some families through DNA will be able to find their their loved one and put them to proper rest.
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

A lot of things could be to blame for this back in the late 19th or early 20th century, especially in that area. We don't know any facts. But, exploiting this finding for political purposes is crass.
Last edited by BC Landlord on May 28th, 2021, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I didn't want to say it but I agree with Truth.
History has taught us there was unspeakable abuse at some of these schools and some of the abducted children were never seen or heard from again.

Besides if there wasn't fowl play there should be documents.

I could almost bet that the schools got paid x amount of $ for every child registered there.
So if a child dies and the death isn't recorded the school still gets paid for it.
Not to mention, there is no criminal investigation.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

techrtr wrote: May 28th, 2021, 12:12 pm Hmmmm, I can't believe no one knew that those kids were buried there until now. The school in Kamloops was in operation for almost 100 years. Over that time, kids would have died from sickness, accidents etc and they would have to have been buried somewhere. I'm sure there are church or government records documenting everything including deaths and burials at the school. Seems like a political thing to me.
I remember being on a school field trip to this facility, it would have been in the early 90's. The guide told our class that they suspected their were bodies buried on the property. It was a very surreal place. This find is not surprising. What would be surprising is if the records of who they were are ever found.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board

Post by Brass Monkey »

My great great grandfather Harry Parker and his younger brother Richard Parker went to the Kamloops Indian Residential School in the 1900s-1910s. Harry grew up to raise our family, his little brother was never seen again. Not sure if little brother Richard was transferred to a different school, given away to different family or if he perished in that school. Harry finished his time in that school and married Sarah Bonneau and they had children, when their kids became of age of enrolment they opted to hide in the forest for a few years so that their kids wouldn’t be taken away by RCMP and into the schools. One of their daughters grew up to marry Dave Derrickson who was not fortunate enough to have bypassed the residential school system and so he spent the rest of his life using booze to cope with his experience in that school.

About 6 months ago I applied through the Canadian government website to receive the school records of the 3 boys that went to that school but nobody ever responded to my request.
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Very sad findings for sure, this school operated though the last major pandemic “the Spanish Flu”.

This is just speculation on my part, once the remains are tested we may get a better idea.

If absolutely nothing else each one should receive a proper burial.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Were there abuses? ... Most likely, there were. But, we also have to look at residential schools from another perspective. For example, what was the whole motivation behind these schools? To put this in a historical context, we need to understand that when Europeans first came to these lands, what they found, to their disbelief, were people living in Neolithic hunter-gatherer nomadic societies. No written language, ... nothing. Pretty much thousands of years behind. That was the time of William Shakespeare, Leonardo da Vinci, and Nicolaus Copernicus in Europe.
In the light of that, putting these people through schools, to catch up with the world of knowledge and to integrate them into the new world, could be also viewed as a noble effort.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

BC Landlord wrote: May 28th, 2021, 1:43 pm Were there abuses? ... Most likely, there were. But, we also have to look at residential schools from another perspective. For example, what was the whole motivation behind these schools? To put this in a historical context, we need to understand that when Europeans first came to these lands, what they found, to their disbelief, were people living in Neolithic hunter-gatherer nomadic societies. No written language, ... nothing. That was the time of William Shakespeare, Leonardo da Vinci, and Nicolaus Copernicus in Europe.
In the light of that, putting these people through schools, to catch up with the world of knowledge and to integrate them into the new world, could be also viewed as a noble effort.
So it’s okay to take children away from their Families, I wonder how Europeans would feel about their children taken away (in many cases by force). With little to no ability to visit, I suspect that wouldn’t be at all tolerated.

Residential Schools had 1 purpose to try to destroy a culture (this is my opinion).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

GordonH wrote: May 28th, 2021, 1:54 pm So it’s okay to take children away from their Families, I wonder how Europeans would feel about their children taken away (in many cases by force). With little to no ability to visit, I suspect that wouldn’t be at all tolerated.
No, it's not okay. But also you can't really judge what happened centuries ago by looking through today's optics.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

BC Landlord wrote: May 28th, 2021, 1:43 pm Were there abuses? ... Most likely, there were. But, we also have to look at residential schools from another perspective. For example, what was the whole motivation behind these schools? To put this in a historical context, we need to understand that when Europeans first came to these lands, what they found, to their disbelief, were people living in Neolithic hunter-gatherer nomadic societies. No written language, ... nothing. Pretty much thousands of years behind. That was the time of William Shakespeare, Leonardo da Vinci, and Nicolaus Copernicus in Europe.
I have extended family members that were in these schools. There were plenty of abuses that they experienced. I do not see anything noble in removing children from their homes and forcing them to change their culture because we deemed it "Neolithic". What gave us the right to do that? Nothing. We took from them, we did not give them anything of value in return. I firmly believe they would have been better off if we left them the hell alone and got off our pedestals thinking we know better than everyone else. We have much to repent for.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I just finished reading this. There have been other First Nations over the years that have told similar stories.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/05/28 ... -survivor/
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Canada”