Graves at Residential schools

Brass Monkey
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3219
Joined: Jul 9th, 2014, 6:50 pm

Re: Remains of 215 youth found

Post by Brass Monkey »

BC Landlord wrote: May 28th, 2021, 1:43 pm In the light of that, putting these people through schools, to catch up with the world of knowledge and to integrate them into the new world, could be also viewed as a noble effort.

Puke
“I have reason to believe that the agents as a whole … are doing all they can, by refusing food until the Indians are on the verge of starvation, to reduce the expense." - Sir John A. MacDonald
BC Landlord
Guru
Posts: 8832
Joined: Jul 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Re: Remains of 215 youth found

Post by BC Landlord »

JLives wrote: May 28th, 2021, 2:11 pm I have extended family members that were in these schools. There were plenty of abuses that they experienced.
And I believe you, and understand your point. Many of my own extended family members suffered and perished in much worse circumstances during the WW2, but I don't find nowadays Germans responsible for that, even though the motivation behind it back then was pure evil. What I am trying to say, residential schools issues from centuries ago is being used today in the entirely wrong context, that being identity politics, all in the name of some so-called "reconciliation". I have nothing to reconcile with anyone.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2635
Joined: Nov 19th, 2010, 6:51 am

Re: Remains of 215 youth found

Post by Gilchy »

BC Landlord wrote: May 28th, 2021, 2:45 pm
JLives wrote: May 28th, 2021, 2:11 pm I have extended family members that were in these schools. There were plenty of abuses that they experienced.
And I believe you, and understand your point. Many of my own extended family members suffered and perished in much worse circumstances during the WW2, but I don't find nowadays Germans responsible for that, even though the motivation behind it back then was pure evil. What I am trying to say, residential schools issues from centuries ago is being used today in the entirely wrong context, that being identity politics, all in the name of some so-called "reconciliation". I have nothing to reconcile with anyone.
Oh, come on. The residential school system was established as a deliberate form of cultural genocide. Residential school issues weren't a thing "from centuries ago". Read up on the 60s scoop, etc, the last residential schools closed in the 1990s.

This isn't "identity politics", it's a matter of fact. Technological advancement was, and as evidenced by your posts in this thread, continues to be, used as supposed evidence of superiority. Handwaving away generations of abuse, mistreatment, kidnapping, trauma and deaths as "educating the savages" is disgusting.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2635
Joined: Nov 19th, 2010, 6:51 am

Re: Remains of 215 youth found

Post by Gilchy »

Brass Monkey wrote: May 28th, 2021, 2:41 pm
BC Landlord wrote: May 28th, 2021, 1:43 pm In the light of that, putting these people through schools, to catch up with the world of knowledge and to integrate them into the new world, could be also viewed as a noble effort.

Puke
Like. "Noble effort"... yikes.
BC Landlord
Guru
Posts: 8832
Joined: Jul 15th, 2019, 2:18 pm

Re: Remains of 215 youth found

Post by BC Landlord »

Gilchy wrote: May 28th, 2021, 2:59 pm Oh, come on. The residential school system was established as a deliberate form of cultural genocide.
There is no such thing as "cultural genocide". That's a made-up word. Cultural heritage has nothing to do with genes. It's either a genocide (to its true meaning), or it's not.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 27837
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2012, 8:02 pm

Re: Remains of 215 youth found

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Wave101 wrote: May 28th, 2021, 12:04 pm Lets not jump to conclusions. The early twentieth century was rife will deadly diseases and high child mortality rates. People were often buried at holy sites such as church grounds as well.
Lets wait until we get all the facts before we condemn. It isnt sexy for fun or cool to wait for all the facts these days but it is the right thing to do.
So in which world do 215 children die while at school and are not returned to the family for a proper burial?
Within which churches are children buried separately from their families?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 27837
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2012, 8:02 pm

Re: Remains of 215 youth found

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Brass Monkey wrote: May 28th, 2021, 2:41 pm
BC Landlord wrote: May 28th, 2021, 1:43 pm In the light of that, putting these people through schools, to catch up with the world of knowledge and to integrate them into the new world, could be also viewed as a noble effort.
Puke
Ditto Puke
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 33556
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Remains of 215 youth found

Post by the truth »

GordonH wrote: May 28th, 2021, 1:54 pm
BC Landlord wrote: May 28th, 2021, 1:43 pm Were there abuses? ... Most likely, there were. But, we also have to look at residential schools from another perspective. For example, what was the whole motivation behind these schools? To put this in a historical context, we need to understand that when Europeans first came to these lands, what they found, to their disbelief, were people living in Neolithic hunter-gatherer nomadic societies. No written language, ... nothing. That was the time of William Shakespeare, Leonardo da Vinci, and Nicolaus Copernicus in Europe.
In the light of that, putting these people through schools, to catch up with the world of knowledge and to integrate them into the new world, could be also viewed as a noble effort.
So it’s okay to take children away from their Families, I wonder how Europeans would feel about their children taken away (in many cases by force). With little to no ability to visit, I suspect that wouldn’t be at all tolerated.

Residential Schools had 1 purpose to try to destroy a culture (this is my opinion).
this should answer your question , it has happened to many people around the world, not just canada , https://www.reuters.com/article/us-irel ... SKBN29I1SO https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... port-says/
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 27837
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2012, 8:02 pm

Re: Remains of 215 youth found

Post by Silverstarqueen »

BC Landlord wrote: May 28th, 2021, 1:43 pm Were there abuses? ... Most likely, there were. But, we also have to look at residential schools from another perspective. For example, what was the whole motivation behind these schools? To put this in a historical context, we need to understand that when Europeans first came to these lands, what they found, to their disbelief, were people living in Neolithic hunter-gatherer nomadic societies. No written language, ... nothing. Pretty much thousands of years behind. That was the time of William Shakespeare, Leonardo da Vinci, and Nicolaus Copernicus in Europe.
In the light of that, putting these people through schools, to catch up with the world of knowledge and to integrate them into the new world, could be also viewed as a noble effort.
And why would this noble effort have involved removing the children from their parents? We don't "put people thru schools", we educate children who generally live with their families. Their families are part of that society. This is what is done in a civilized society, and what was done with the children of white settlers. Why treat other children any differently?
Just because atrocities were done by the Nazies, does not justify other atrocities being done by white society with the children of First Nations. They were not "thousands of years behind" any civilization. The white settlers society was not "ahead" of any other civilization. They were different societies, with different ways of living within their environments.What about the "world of knowledge" their world, that was taken away from these children?
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on May 28th, 2021, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2635
Joined: Nov 19th, 2010, 6:51 am

Re: Remains of 215 youth found

Post by Gilchy »

You’ll notice a common perpetrator in those links.
User avatar
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник
Posts: 39582
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: Remains of 215 youth found

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Residential Schools children were taken away from Families in many cases by force, are similar to your links.

Sorry not even close.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2635
Joined: Nov 19th, 2010, 6:51 am

Re: Remains of 215 youth found

Post by Gilchy »

How in the world can anyone…anyone at all justify the residential school system. Insane.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 27837
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2012, 8:02 pm

Re: Remains of 215 youth found

Post by Silverstarqueen »

GordonH wrote: May 28th, 2021, 1:54 pm So it’s okay to take children away from their Families, I wonder how Europeans would feel about their children taken away (in many cases by force). With little to no ability to visit, I suspect that wouldn’t be at all tolerated.

Residential Schools had 1 purpose to try to destroy a culture (this is my opinion).
There were tens of thousands of children also taken away from Europeans against their will(also orchestrated between the churches and governments). Another story, it was tolerated just fine. I rarely hear much outrage about it, and I doubt it will ever be addressed. It does not justify what was done with the Aboriginal children.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on May 28th, 2021, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 33556
Joined: May 16th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Re: Remains of 215 youth found

Post by the truth »

Gilchy wrote: May 28th, 2021, 4:13 pm You’ll notice a common perpetrator in those links.
the catholic church................. :cuss:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet
Posts: 27837
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2012, 8:02 pm

Re: Remains of 215 youth found

Post by Silverstarqueen »

the truth wrote: May 28th, 2021, 4:20 pm
Gilchy wrote: May 28th, 2021, 4:13 pm You’ll notice a common perpetrator in those links.
the catholic church................. :cuss:
I believe there were other churches also involved.
"Over the years, the government worked with the Anglican, Catholic, United and Presbyterian churches, which ran residential schools, to design a plan to compensate the former students."
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on May 28th, 2021, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Canada”