Edmonton Police Association under fire for controversial flag

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Edmonton Police Association under fire for controversial flag

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Yes, a flag can apparently be "hurtful", just wow....just wow...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/video/ed ... d=msedgntp
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Edmonton Police fly "hurtful" flag...

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Other than the black dude, who else was offended. You kind of expect him or one of his buddies to be offended and a maybe a couple of snowflakes.
And of course the media jumps on this story.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Somebody is always offended about something.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

I saw this flag in Calgary a few years ago. It was on a flagpole in a front yard of a house. There was also a plaque that described the flag as the flag of the Western independence movement and explained the meaning of the flag. The black maple leaf was a symbol of western rejection of eastern dominance. As each province in the west leaves Canada, another stripe will be put on the flag and the maple leaf removed. The first strip is blue for Alberta. Saskatchewan will add a green stripe, Manitoba will be gold. I can't remember what colours BC, the Yukon, and NWT would have.

But this exact flag has been used by some as a separatist flag. Is it hurtful? I don't know, but is Alberta loonie.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Even Steven wrote: May 29th, 2021, 4:09 pm Somebody is always offended about something.
Yup, you can take that to the bank these days. All the more reason to tread lightly when hijacking a national symbol for a fringe agenda.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

nothing wrong with what the rcmp is doing with this flag

flag=support rcmp
blm= support a criminal
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

the truth wrote: May 30th, 2021, 7:45 am nothing wrong with what the rcmp is doing with this flag

flag=support rcmp
blm= support a criminal
The RCMP does not use this symbol, this is just the Edmonton Police Association. My issue is not with cops or BLM or any of that stuff, what I see is a symbol belonging to all Canadians being turned into a symbol supporting a very small group of Canadians. Best to just stay away from that sort of controversy.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

the truth wrote: May 30th, 2021, 7:45 am nothing wrong with what the rcmp is doing with this flag

flag=support rcmp
blm= support a criminal
fluffy wrote: May 30th, 2021, 7:55 am The RCMP does not use this symbol, this is just the Edmonton Police Association. My issue is not with cops or BLM or any of that stuff, what I see is a symbol belonging to all Canadians being turned into a symbol supporting a very small group of Canadians. Best to just stay away from that sort of controversy.
:up: :up:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

bob vernon wrote: May 29th, 2021, 8:21 pm I can't remember what colours BC, the Yukon, and NWT would have.
I suspect BC's colours would be Rainbow.

And I agree with the statement that someone is always offended by something.

I wish they would just give it a rest!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The Green Barbarian wrote: May 28th, 2021, 5:10 pm Yes, a flag can apparently be "hurtful", just wow....just wow...

Your post title is incorrect and misleading. It's the Police association and not the Edmonton Police.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Edmonton Police Association under fire for controversial flag

Post by Ken7 »

I find it interesting, many groups have their symbols showing solidarity and support for their ethnic groups. This is fine as it is a Freedom of Expression and is acceptable, even if you may not see it from the same side as they do.

Now why do the Edmonton Police association or any group of Police have to remain silent?

Just my thought...Police Lives Matter!
Last edited by Ken7 on May 30th, 2021, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

The Green Barbarian wrote: May 28th, 2021, 5:10 pm Yes, a flag can apparently be "hurtful", just wow....just wow...

Yes it can. Now you've learned something new.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

exactly....................
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

bob vernon wrote: May 29th, 2021, 8:21 pm I saw this flag in Calgary a few years ago. It was on a flagpole in a front yard of a house. There was also a plaque that described the flag as the flag of the Western independence movement and explained the meaning of the flag. The black maple leaf was a symbol of western rejection of eastern dominance. As each province in the west leaves Canada, another stripe will be put on the flag and the maple leaf removed. The first strip is blue for Alberta. Saskatchewan will add a green stripe, Manitoba will be gold. I can't remember what colours BC, the Yukon, and NWT would have.
It's not the same.

This is a Thin Blue Line flag. They use them in the US extensively. I guess Canadians are using them too.

Whatever the Western independence lunacy thing it's something else.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Ken7 wrote: May 30th, 2021, 9:09 am I find it interesting, many groups have their symbols showing solidarity and support for their ethnic groups. This is fine as it is a Freedom of Expression and is acceptable, even if you may not see it from the same side as they do.

Now why do the Edmonton Police association or and group of Police have to remain silent?
They don't. But in my little world their use of the Canadian flag as a symbol pertaining to just themselves crosses a line. They have a flag of their own, why not use it ? Using the Canadian flag as a back-drop implies the support of all Canadians and that's not something you get to just assume.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... egUIARC6AQ

Return to “Canada”