Gardening 2021: berries, veggies, trees and flowers!

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Gardening 2021: berries, veggies, trees and flowers!

Post by Catsumi »

Well, it looks like my frostbitten toms might survive after all. A few more bean plants sprung up which will cover the losses of frosted ones.

Noticed that once again this year, quail do not like red lettuce. Little bustards like green only so covered those poor pecked plants with old curtain fabric to give them a chance at recovery.

Note to self: in future, plant only RED lettuces.

Hilled spuds today, ripped out old onions and planted new. Cucs still only have 2 leaves but should grow like crazy in next few days of predicted warmth (if forecast can be believed).

Don’t miss the radishes at all.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote: May 30th, 2021, 12:56 pm Last year they had Starry Night on their two for one sale. Not so much this year.

We further depleted the squash section ourselves!

And my chose theme for the wheelbarrels is red and yellow. So those predominate this year. :130:
I snagged the last two Burgandy (or magenta?) starry nights they had - they weren't labelled but they were in the right section. Kathy wasn't sure they weren't abandoned from another section, but they were true :D
I haven't failed until I quit.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Catsumi wrote: May 30th, 2021, 5:59 pm Well, it looks like my frostbitten toms might survive after all. A few more bean plants sprung up which will cover the losses of frosted ones.

Noticed that once again this year, quail do not like red lettuce. Little bustards like green only so covered those poor pecked plants with old curtain fabric to give them a chance at recovery.

Note to self: in future, plant only RED lettuces.

Hilled spuds today, ripped out old onions and planted new. Cucs still only have 2 leaves but should grow like crazy in next few days of predicted warmth (if forecast can be believed).

Don’t miss the radishes at all.
I hope the forecast can be trusted. My peppers are desperate for some heat.

I'm happy to hear your tomatoes might survive! :up:

My radishes are coming up now - husband loves them so they make him quite happy.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I had planned this weekend would be attacking the back fence bed.

So I worked on the front.

:admin:

Moved plants, weeded, and thinned.

Walked over to the neighbour's with a wheelbarrow full of purple irises, and some white (and two peach and two yellow). They were delighted, because they haven't any at all. And now my plants have some light, and aren't quite as crowded.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Lady tehMa wrote: May 30th, 2021, 8:07 pm
My radishes are coming up now - husband loves them so they make him quite happy.
we picked a half a doz radishes to take camping with us last week.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Catsumi wrote: May 30th, 2021, 5:59 pm Noticed that once again this year, quail do not like red lettuce. Little bustards like green only so covered those poor pecked plants with old curtain fabric to give them a chance at recovery.
Funny you should mention quail.
We just had them move into our neighbourhood recently. Today I surprised a couple in my garden. She was resting and when she saw me she jumped up and shook herself, in a cloud of dust.
And yes, she had been burrowing and dust bathing right where new seeds were planted. :swear:

So I'm wondering what the best food is to feed them in order to influence the taste of their meat? :biggrin:
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Yeah, they have made themselves at home, dust bathing blighters... Twirled through my cucs displacing seed and even pecked at cuc seedlings.

If only they ate weeds. Sigh.

The old fellah told me today that quail can get to size of chickens when fed to be meat birds. He saw such with his own eyes. Bet they’d taste mighty fine

Seriously, i have no real quarrel with them, happy to see them around, can’t wait to spot new chicks. (This is what I tell myself.)
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Lady tehMa wrote: May 30th, 2021, 8:06 pm
Queen K wrote: May 30th, 2021, 12:56 pm Last year they had Starry Night on their two for one sale. Not so much this year.

We further depleted the squash section ourselves!

And my chose theme for the wheelbarrels is red and yellow. So those predominate this year. :130:
I snagged the last two Burgandy (or magenta?) starry nights they had - they weren't labelled but they were in the right section. Kathy wasn't sure they weren't abandoned from another section, but they were true :D
Good for you! Those look great. I snagged the black petunias and will mix them with yellows for a KSS theme this year in one of my planters. But mostly I have stayed true to reds and yellows. I know the CatchFly and the BeeBalm will add pinks.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Capture.JPG

Time to empty those rain barrels.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'd love it if we had rain in any rain barrel! Nothing for weeks, it's sad.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Fill them up with the neighbour's garden hose.... :138:

Sorry, best I can do at 6AM
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Speaking of, I have to get out there and get shovels ready. Don't ask. :biggrin:
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

During the hot weather I wish people who ate a lot of garlic washed accordingly. Thank goodness for the social distancing :)
Art Knapp has some nice stuff but I still miss the Springfield location
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

My peppers aren't too happy, hoping some fertilizer will perk them up. Tomatoes seem to be managing, though.

A couple of the roses I moved recently look a bit sad, hoping they make it. Might have damaged my sea holly plant when I moved it, too :-X

The purple grape I pruned back has decided to explode and reclaim all lost ground - I will have to keep trimming that one as we're getting the windows replaced in a few months and I need to keep that clear.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

My pepper is doing great, tomatoes look healthy, grass seed is a slow grow, but there are signs of life.

Basil is good, flowers are putting a great display now. Chives, I have cut the entire plant down with hedge shears ......twice and it looks like I am going to have to do it again next week.

Radishes are sprouting, and it has only been 1 week. Perennials are terrific, as usual.

I HATE ANTS!!!!

Return to “Creative Endeavours”