Why do you love Kelowna?

A potpourri of off-topics.
alanjh595
Banned

Why do you love Kelowna?

Post by alanjh595 »

“Here you hardly have any snow, the weather is great, and for seniors like ourselves you don't have to worry about falling all the time on the snow or on the ice,” said a former Ottawa resident.

“Beautiful weather, hiking, there's so much to do, the streets are all done up for many activities, people are all out and about. You can’t complain," said a lifelong local.

“The e-bikes I like about Kelowna. The transportation routes are getting a little better, and the theatre. There's lots of music and of course the waterfront is the best,” said another.

One woman explained the convenience of being so close to nature as one of the deciding factors for her love for Kelowna. “The one thing I love is that 10 minutes basically in any direction you’re in the beautiful forest and hiking trails. It's super.”
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... elowna-Day
Bring back the LIKE button.
seewood
Guru

Re: Why do you love Kelowna?

Post by seewood »

I tolerate visiting Kelowna, certainly don't love it.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Kelowna is were I live and work, I enjoy many aspects of the area... I will leave love out of it.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

I still love a lot of things about Kelowna . BUT.. I seem to love it a little less each year..
Some call it progress, some love that, maybe because it makes it more like where they are from ?
I find after 60 plus years here, i am not embracing some if the things that change..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I love nature. Kelowna allows me to live in the bush but have access to all city services within a 20 minute drive. Riding, fishing, hiking, beaches, skiing, swimming, hunting are all easy access. We fully experience all 4 seasons. What's not to love?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I thought there was only 3 seasons here, Summer, Winter, and Construction.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

JLives wrote: May 30th, 2021, 8:58 am I love nature. Kelowna allows me to live in the bush but have access to all city services within a 20 minute drive. Riding, fishing, hiking, beaches, skiing, swimming, hunting are all easy access. We fully experience all 4 seasons. What's not to love?
Urbanization, the general increasing unfriendliness of the population. The enlarging drug-addicted population and the increasing crime rate due to that.

But I enjoy Kelowna when I can avoid that. Generally speaking, I spend most of my time in Rutland so I'm content. It's a bit friendlier, less concerned with appearances (and the whole "keeping up with the Joneses" vibe) and more into the community stuff. If you can handle people poking fun at it, it's a great place to be.

:topic: I like the milder winters, though I wish summers weren't quite as hot. I love the fresh fruit and veggies available in the summer/fall.
I haven't failed until I quit.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Lady tehMa wrote: May 30th, 2021, 10:46 am
JLives wrote: May 30th, 2021, 8:58 am I love nature. Kelowna allows me to live in the bush but have access to all city services within a 20 minute drive. Riding, fishing, hiking, beaches, skiing, swimming, hunting are all easy access. We fully experience all 4 seasons. What's not to love?
Urbanization, the general increasing unfriendliness of the population. The enlarging drug-addicted population and the increasing crime rate due to that.

But I enjoy Kelowna when I can avoid that. Generally speaking, I spend most of my time in Rutland so I'm content. It's a bit friendlier, less concerned with appearances (and the whole "keeping up with the Joneses" vibe) and more into the community stuff. If you can handle people poking fun at it, it's a great place to be.

:topic: I like the milder winters, though I wish summers weren't quite as hot. I love the fresh fruit and veggies available in the summer/fall.
I agree wholeheartedly.
:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: / 5
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I like smaller cities, and the fact that we have a lake, trails, nature around. There's less traffic and fewer crowds than in Vancouver (whoever says Kelowna has a traffic problem needs to get smacked). It's pretty quiet, rarely snows, and people are somewhat friendly.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Even Steven wrote: May 30th, 2021, 4:30 pm I like smaller cities, and the fact that we have a lake, trails, nature around. There's less traffic and fewer crowds than in Vancouver (whoever says Kelowna has a traffic problem needs to get smacked). It's pretty quiet, rarely snows, and people are somewhat friendly.
I fall in the same camp ...
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

Kelowna is OK. I prefer North Vancouver. I live a block up from the Delta and enjoy the boardwalk. I cannot help to dislike how the city allows such high towers so close to the water. They look out of place and do not add any unique characteristic to the place (plus the architecture is imported from the coast). I also prefer cities that allow for development from the center out - not lakefront back. Lakefront should belong to everyone, not just a handful of wealthy individuals.

Outside of a few weeks of heavy rain, I prefer the weather on the coast - consistent temperatures all year long. I did not have to wear a winter coat until I moved back here.

Kelowna will do for the time being. There are worst places to live.
Tetra

Post by Tetra »

Lived in Kelowna since I was born. Definitely don’t love it here. Not much to do and hard to get anywhere without a car, I’ve found. A bit isolating. Summers can get too hot and winters can get too cold. Nice to be by the lake, however.
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

Tetra wrote: May 31st, 2021, 10:29 pm Summers can get too hot and winters can get too cold. Nice to be by the lake, however.
Exactly. Locals think we have the best weather in North America. We do not.
spooker

Post by spooker »

ckil wrote: Jun 1st, 2021, 9:43 am Exactly. Locals think we have the best weather in North America. We do not.
I'll take our weather over what they have out in the Toronto area any day ... summer or winter ... too hot? head into the forest, cool in the trees ... too cold? you must have never been to Churchill Falls, LB in winter ...
ckil
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by ckil »

spooker wrote: Jun 1st, 2021, 9:48 am
ckil wrote: Jun 1st, 2021, 9:43 am Exactly. Locals think we have the best weather in North America. We do not.
I'll take our weather over what they have out in the Toronto area any day ... summer or winter ... too hot? head into the forest, cool in the trees ... too cold? you must have never been to Churchill Falls, LB in winter ...
I will always prefer the West Coast.

Return to “Grab Bag”