Bike lane for Penticton

pentona
Übergod

Re: Bike lane for Penticton

Post by pentona »

seewood wrote: May 20th, 2021, 1:22 pm
pentona wrote: May 20th, 2021, 10:51 am re Mitch; he could care less as he has a nice locked compound at the big white building to store his bike in; paid for by us.
Picking fly poop out of pepper I know but I believe Mitch worked out of the works yard offices for the past while. Still, pretty secure place to leave the bike as is the inside room at city hall. Wonder how many business's have the room for something similar?
I believe you may be correct on his main location but he is seen at City Hall plenty of times. Nice perk for all the other City staff to have a secured compound, unlike stores and most businesses; and paid for by our taxes.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

lifegives wrote: May 18th, 2021, 6:09 pm
twobits wrote: May 18th, 2021, 1:15 pm That curbing should be really helpful for snow removal.
Be like Kelowna? They seem to handle it without issues. We know the drivers of the plows are "professional" right?

You don’t want to be like Kelowna.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/3 ... t-delusion
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

I've brought this up before, but, I will bring it up again. The spandex brain trust at city hall can move forward with an $8m+ bike lane, however, they can't find the money to fund flashing pedestrian lights at the KVR crossing on Naramata Road. Many times last year I witnessed near misses of cyclists trying to cross Naramata Road to get over to the KVR. Just check the skid marks. Same thing this year ... many younger kids, seniors, and spandexers crossing without looking because they have a crosswalk. Only problem is if you are a tourists you don't even know the crosswalk exists until you are almost on it. Local sometimes forget too. This is an accident waiting to happen. When is city hall going to be proactive and install crossing lights similar to the ones on Vancouver Hill? Unbelievable.
cr125
Board Meister

Post by cr125 »

Maybe it wasn't brought to anyone's attention until the fire at the landfill, but wouldn't the 8 million for the cycle lane be better spent getting a fire hydrant to the landfill?
I would think the landfill should have water available on site for fire fighting.
Good thing you have an excellent fire fighting crews close by.

Just saying.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

The fire at the landfill was unfortunate, however I don’t think any lives were at risk. Yes they need water up there. The Naramata Road KVR crosswalk is a major concern ... someone is going to hit.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote: May 31st, 2021, 1:12 pm The fire at the landfill was unfortunate, however I don’t think any lives were at risk. Yes they need water up there. The Naramata Road KVR crosswalk is a major concern ... someone is going to hit.
RDOS should learn from this event and at least in the summer time have a large water reservoir full, ready to go.

Re the KVR crosswalk, I fully agree; its past time to put a controlled crossing in; especially since most people do not obey the 60 kph speed limit on Naramata Road.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

soupy wrote: May 20th, 2021, 10:25 am Southy that is a pretty cool idea.

Albeit I will also focus on some positive, and current steps people can do to avoid theft.
1. Definitely get yourself a good lock. Cheap locks aren't good, good locks aren't cheap.
2. You can get bicycle alarms in which 100+ dB alarm will go off if someone starts tampering with your bike.
3. My personal favourite. If you are that worried, you don't have to leave your bike unattended. You can lock it within view when you sit on a nice patio or grab a bite to go. Or you can also just enjoy a nice safe bike ride from lake to lake without the requirement to leave your bike at all.

Having the bike valet 7 days a week would be amazing though. I've used them many a times.
City stated today that they have ordered 30 bike racks to be installed along the new route. Now, they are discussing with businesses on where to locate them.

I wonder if each rack comes with a Security Guard? [icon_lol2.gif] A bike rack and a good lock will do little to stop these low-lifes that want to steal your pride and joy. They carry bolt cutters, even portable grinders in their backpacks. And, if they can't get thru the lock, they just remove the wheels and go on their merry ways. How often do we see someone carrying bike parts like that, openly? Often...and try to prove where the parts came from. Only the frames are registered at the very most.

The whole bike lane expenditure is a complete waste of time and our money until crime is better controlled.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

pentona wrote: Jun 4th, 2021, 11:11 am
City stated today that they have ordered 30 bike racks to be installed along the new route. Now, they are discussing with businesses on where to locate them.

I wonder if each rack comes with a Security Guard? [icon_lol2.gif] A bike rack and a good lock will do little to stop these low-lifes that want to steal your pride and joy. They carry bolt cutters, even portable grinders in their backpacks. And, if they can't get thru the lock, they just remove the wheels and go on their merry ways. How often do we see someone carrying bike parts like that, openly? Often...and try to prove where the parts came from. Only the frames are registered at the very most.

The whole bike lane expenditure is a complete waste of time and our money until crime is better controlled.
I am happy to hear about the additional bike racks, thats great!
Bike rack and a good lock is better than nothing, but yes, I understand these low-lives still do what they can, and that sadly there are no consequences for their criminal actions.
However, I will do the best I can, try to lock my bike where I can see it, or at least easily periodically check on it. Guards would be ideal, but hopefully criminals will be deterred by public calling them out if they are opening trying to cut a lock.
There is no perfect solution sadly.
Cars are stolen each and every day, I still drive mine and leave it parked.

**But yes, I have strong opinions on the criminal nature. I'd like to see a caught thief have their hands dyed red for a month TBH.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Yippee, skippy ... man I am so excited! The city is ahead of schedule on the $8m+ bike lane. I can hardly contain myself.
[icon_lol2.gif] what a crock coming from the spandex laden spin doctors within the big white building. It is really unfortunate that this same group can't move other infrastructure projects ahead as fast as they are the golden bike lane. Unbelievable, it really is.

While I'm at it .. (today is Friday after all) ... I have to share an experience I had on Wednesday. I was parked facing south on Ellis just down from the White Clinic. I get in my car and start heading south on Ellis. As I get close to the four way stop at Ellis and Wade a group of spandex *bleep* are heading west on Wade and blow through the stop sign and make a wide right hand turn onto Ellis. Four of them all abreast not single file. They almost hit me at which time I put my window down and yelled at them. Guess what their response was ...starts with an f and ends with a u! These self entitled spandex bandits need to be ticketed. It is becoming a safety issue. Where do these guys get off thinking they have so much power over vehicle traffic?
These weren't young guys either. The one closest to my car on the turn actually looked late 50's early 60's ... grey hair as much as I could see and a grey goatee. Wait a sec .. kind of reminds me of someone from within the big white building ... oh never mind.

Thanks for the rant and have a great weekend :130:
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

^^ I have triple, extra loud trumpet horns under the hood of my truck. They would be dropping down like flies from a heart attack for that.
Last edited by BC Landlord on Jun 5th, 2021, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Great idea! These 4 spandex bandits were a real piece of work. Attitude, attitude, attitude. I really wonder how many of these self entitled ones will actually use the new $8m+ bike lane?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

BC Landlord wrote: Jun 4th, 2021, 6:25 pm ^^ I have triple, extra loud trumpet horns under the hood of my truck. They would be dropping down like flies from a heart attack for that.
Please share where you got those horns. Top of my list now for frivolous expenditure.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

They are not even expensive, and they come in different configs and sounds.

https://www.amazon.ca/150dB-Super-Trump ... ZBDRKEQVJM
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

:topic:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
lifegives
Board Meister

Post by lifegives »

The bike racks are a good thing, solid place to lock the bike. Always feels sketchy having to use "whatever" is handy when I make a stop somewhere, yes, that includes the commercial gas meter I've used before. Had a coworker ask the other day my opinion of their bike lock as they showed me the cable they use currently. Had to explain to them that a cable lock screams "steal me" to anyone with a decent pair of wire cutters.

Looking forward to cruising this path and staying out of direct contact with people behind the wheel of a car who seem to have so much internal anger waiting to get out.

Return to “South Okanagan”