Bike lane for Penticton

pentona
Übergod

Re: Bike lane for Penticton

Post by pentona »

lifegives wrote: Jun 6th, 2021, 7:56 pm The bike racks are a good thing, solid place to lock the bike. Always feels sketchy having to use "whatever" is handy when I make a stop somewhere, yes, that includes the commercial gas meter I've used before. Had a coworker ask the other day my opinion of their bike lock as they showed me the cable they use currently. Had to explain to them that a cable lock screams "steal me" to anyone with a decent pair of wire cutters.

Looking forward to cruising this path and staying out of direct contact with people behind the wheel of a car who seem to have so much internal anger waiting to get out.
I've yet to see a bike lock that can't be cut with a pair of bolt cutters and if not, then these low-lifes carry battery powered grinders in those back packs that will cut thru anything in seconds. If they DO decide not to try to cut the lock (where the lock/cable is locked only around the frame), then they just remove the quick-removable wheels, seat or whatever is quick and easy to steal and off they go. Note: the frame is the least valuable to these thieves as it may have Garage 529 engraving.

Coming back to a "frame-only" is going to be very maddening even to the toughest spandexer. Anyone with half a brain would not leave their bike locked up downtown if they cannot keep eyes on it ALL the time.

I cruise the bike lanes that are presently in place, out of the way of traffic, noise, pollution, etc; thankfully they already exist. Too bad council didn't investigate what they already have before blowing the bank account (which is short, as it is) on this ridiculous project. Reports stated recently that it was ahead of schedule. Didn't look like to me this week; cars parked on both sides of Martin Street; no sign of removing the East side spaces, etc etc.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

lifegives wrote: Jun 6th, 2021, 7:56 pm The bike racks are a good thing, solid place to lock the bike. Always feels sketchy having to use "whatever" is handy when I make a stop somewhere, yes, that includes the commercial gas meter I've used before. Had a coworker ask the other day my opinion of their bike lock as they showed me the cable they use currently. Had to explain to them that a cable lock screams "steal me" to anyone with a decent pair of wire cutters.

Looking forward to cruising this path and staying out of direct contact with people behind the wheel of a car who seem to have so much internal anger waiting to get out.

Yup :130: …. Especially towards those self entitled spandex bandits!
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Presently, the bike lanes that we HAVE now are going to be safer than the new 8 million ones. Hope we keep what we have now, as I won't be using the new ones. We now have lanes on either side of the street; so bikes go one way. So with the new ones on ONE side of the street only, bikes will be coming and going in both directions. Can only imagine the head on collisions; especially since the electric handicap scooters, etc will be all wanting to use these lanes, cyclists texting/not paying attention, etc. I would not want to be hit by one of these heavy beastly senior-operated scooters; those that drive them are not exactly mostly young drivers that have great vision, hearing, etc. A bell won't work; better plan on having an air-horn on your cycles.

Note: just wait when we get the rental companies coming to town with their electric skateboard type scooters; dangerous as heck, few people wear helmets; ignore rules, etc. Some Cities are already regretting allowing them. This whole plan was poorly laid out, rubber stamped by a council who has no clue whatsoever and is reckless with our tax dollars.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

XT225 wrote: Jun 9th, 2021, 10:49 pm Note: just wait when we get the rental companies coming to town with their electric skateboard type scooters; dangerous as heck, few people wear helmets; ignore rules, etc. Some Cities are already regretting allowing them. This whole plan was poorly laid out, rubber stamped by a council who has no clue whatsoever and is reckless with our tax dollars.
I envy these scooter rental companies. They would probably be able to sell skiing gear in Libya or Sudan. Just need a corrupted government to get along with your pie-in-the-sky marketing ploy, and off you go.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

BC Landlord wrote: Jun 9th, 2021, 11:57 pm
I envy these scooter rental companies. They would probably be able to sell skiing gear in Libya or Sudan. Just need a corrupted government to get along with your pie-in-the-sky marketing ploy, and off you go.
I saw a rental company on the weekend, renting e-bikes and e-scooters right beside the Peach. I wonder if they were approved by City Hall. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the City has no idea what's going on. These things (especially the scooters) can be very dangerous, permit and rules have to be in place; safety procedures followed or else its going to be disastrous.
lifegives
Board Meister

Post by lifegives »

I'm going to post here even though I'm responding to the off-topic part of the "Pay parking in Penticton"
viewtopic.php?f=110&t=88807

Can you say that riding a bike is a healthy and good for the participants and society in general?

If no, then I won't try and change your mind. Feel free to skip the rest of this post.

If yes, then would it not be a good thing to make it more convenient for a larger number of people to participate?

Sure, the channel path exists and can be ridden by people on bikes, but, this can be seen as inconvenient since you'd have to cross the highway to get over there and then cross back to get to Skaha Beach. (referencing the back-and-forth that soupy had with BC Landlord) adding a couple of kilometers to any trip from the center of town.

By putting a separated bike lane through the center of town it allows for people (and families) to see it as easier access. We already make it easy to drive through the center of town with a car, why not other modes of transportation? For the last 40 years we've focussed on making it quicker to get from one end to the other with your car and yet all we see is more people driving. More convenience for people driving will mean exactly that, more people driving. Don't you, as a person behind the wheel want to deal with less traffic?

Driving a car is not the only method of getting from your location to your destination as we can see evidenced by other communities that have made changes to provide safer routes for other modes. People say that we're not those other places until it's useful to use another community as an example of how successful it is there (i.e. Summerland and Peachland free parking), we can't have it both ways.

If we don't start making changes now will we ever? Today people complain about the cost, but that amount will only grow if we wait longer and people will still complain even then.

People say that "we're too old, no one will ride a bike" but we can see that seniors have taken to cycling when it's safe and convenient. People say "it's not safe because it's on one side going against traffic" but there are examples just north in Kelowna that show the number of people cycling on this type of infrastructure has grown when built.

We can't solve everything all at once, but if we don't even try then we will surely fail.

Thank you for reading if you've made it this far.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

lifegives wrote: Jun 10th, 2021, 7:00 pm Sure, the channel path exists and can be ridden by people on bikes, but, this can be seen as inconvenient since you'd have to cross the highway to get over there and then cross back to get to Skaha Beach. (referencing the back-and-forth that soupy had with BC Landlord) adding a couple of kilometers to any trip from the center of town.
And what makes you think life revolves around downtown? What about those residents living in western parts, closer to the hwy? How many roads do they have to cross and how much traffic to fight to get to that downtown bike lane?
By putting a separated bike lane through the center of town it allows for people (and families) to see it as easier access. We already make it easy to drive through the center of town with a car, why not other modes of transportation? For the last 40 years we've focussed on making it quicker to get from one end to the other with your car and yet all we see is more people driving. More convenience for people driving will mean exactly that, more people driving. Don't you, as a person behind the wheel want to deal with less traffic?
Driving a car is not the only method of getting from your location to your destination as we can see evidenced by other communities that have made changes to provide safer routes for other modes. People say that we're not those other places until it's useful to use another community as an example of how successful it is there (i.e. Summerland and Peachland free parking), we can't have it both ways.
You are obsessed with biking becoming a major "transportation mode", in a city where demographics just don't justify that. And, as if that was not enough, you are clearly coming from the anti-automobile crowd.
If we don't start making changes now will we ever? Today people complain about the cost, but that amount will only grow if we wait longer and people will still complain even then.
Making such costly changes now, is not the right time, for obvious economic reasons. And that's the biggest contention point here. But some people wouldn't take a no for answer. They are driven by their self-described virtues, rather selfishness.
People say that "we're too old, no one will ride a bike" but we can see that seniors have taken to cycling when it's safe and convenient. People say "it's not safe because it's on one side going against traffic" but there are examples just north in Kelowna that show the number of people cycling on this type of infrastructure has grown when built.
Oh please, ... don't use seniors as an argument. No one has ever asked them for their opinion on bike lanes. Have you?
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

BC Landlord wrote: Jun 10th, 2021, 11:52 pm
Making such costly changes now, is not the right time, for obvious economic reasons. And that's the biggest contention point here. But some people wouldn't take a no for answer. They are driven by their self-described virtues, rather selfishness.

Lifegives gets it. Agree with everything he said.

Bclandlord, I see the bike lane progressing every day and it makes me smile. Can't wait until its done. :biggrin:
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

soupy wrote: Jun 11th, 2021, 9:01 am Lifegives gets it. Agree with everything he said.

Bclandlord, I see the bike lane progressing every day and it makes me smile. Can't wait until its done. :biggrin:
Never doubted. Some people find pleasure in inflicting damages to others.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

BC Landlord wrote: Jun 11th, 2021, 9:23 am
soupy wrote: Jun 11th, 2021, 9:01 am Lifegives gets it. Agree with everything he said.

Never doubted. Some people find pleasure in inflicting damages to others.
I think we can civilly agree to disagree. I don't think the bike lane is inflicting damages, and that is my personal belief in the matter. :130:
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Soupy, can you please explain to me where this $8 probably closer to $10 million dollars is coming from to cover the cost of this golden bike lane? City keeps stressing they need more revenue - so I'm feeling rather confused on the whole issue. Need more revenue yet they are spending $10m on a bike lane. Help me out ... tell me where this money is coming from. Thanks!
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

southy wrote: Jun 11th, 2021, 9:48 am Soupy, can you please explain to me where this $8 probably closer to $10 million dollars is coming from to cover the cost of this golden bike lane? City keeps stressing they need more revenue - so I'm feeling rather confused on the whole issue. Need more revenue yet they are spending $10m on a bike lane. Help me out ... tell me where this money is coming from. Thanks!
It's not hard to tell. It will come from property taxes, city services fees, etc. And it will spill to just about everything you pay for, but mostly rents. I just hiked rent in of my units by 25% with a smile on my face. But hey, ... you can "smile" too, now that there is a shiny new bike lane. Good work!
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

As I said in November
viewtopic.php?p=2730366#p2730366
City chief financial officer Jim Bauer described the budget as an "unprecedented financial challenge," with the impact of COVID-19 clear in the numbers.
Over the next five years, the City has $95 million in unfunded capital projects coming down the pipeline which Bauer said they will need to begin borrowing for in 2022 with a planned $18 million, as a start. No borrowing is anticipated for 2021.
Massive debt coming to Penticton with NO plan for repaying. $Millions in borrowing with no plan for repayment. 8 $Million in unnecessary expenditures to benefit a small tiny minuscule percentage of the population. Spandex warriors.
Spend us into the :cuss: poor house. Outrageous. :swear:
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Extreme like :up:
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

southy wrote: Jun 11th, 2021, 9:48 am Soupy, can you please explain to me where this $8 probably closer to $10 million dollars is coming from to cover the cost of this golden bike lane? City keeps stressing they need more revenue - so I'm feeling rather confused on the whole issue. Need more revenue yet they are spending $10m on a bike lane. Help me out ... tell me where this money is coming from. Thanks!
[url]https://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/art ... gency./url]

Through taxation, the Electrical Dividend, Gas Tax funds. February City got a 1 million grant for the project. And the 8 mill budget includes 25% contingency. It is part of 2021-2025 budget. :up:

Bizarre that not everyone agrees on municipal projects right?
Don't be confused Southy, be excited! It's already ahead of schedule!

BCLandlord. Good job collecting 25% more for a unit. :up: With all that extra money you'll have no problem paying for parking downtown.

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 11th, 2021, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting

Return to “South Okanagan”