Gardening 2021: berries, veggies, trees and flowers!

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Gardening 2021: berries, veggies, trees and flowers!

Post by oneh2obabe »

oneh2obabe wrote: Jun 3rd, 2021, 8:51 am Lady, you want to try growing black mulberries? I bought seeds and there are 50 seeds in the package.

https://www.incredibleseeds.ca/products ... 2783229707
Lady tehMa wrote: Jun 3rd, 2021, 9:08 pmYou know, I think I might! I wouldn't be able to get over there for a week or so, though . . .
Lady, might you be interested in any of the following seeds - can and will share the seeds.

Black Krim Tomatoes
Black Cherry Tomatoes
Easter Egg Mixed Radishes - mix of red, pink, white, black and multicoloured radishes.
Red Romaine Lettuce
Winter Density Romain Lettuce

Check your PM for a list of all that I have and let me know if anything else interests you.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

My peonies are putting on an amazing show this year :heart: Same with my climbing roses
DSCF1053.JPG
And it looks like the delphiniums that have survived will be doing one as well! and the monkshood is taller than I've ever seen it . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

well how interesting is this ?? some say it tastes like lemon (??)

This man picks and pickles spruce tips. Here's how
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/pi ... -1.6053773

Here's how:

Clean them with fresh water
Try to preserve whatever is foraged right away
Make brine with one litre of vinegar, three litres of water and one tablespoon of salt for every litre of liquid (four spoons total)
Bring to a boil
Pack the canning jars with the spruce tips and pour in the hot brine
Put the lids on and put the jars in a canning bath for 11 minutes
Let them cool
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

PSA - 'nuff said
Sale.png
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

The Greenery's sale is on now - just got the email.
Starting on Friday, all remaining plants will be 2 for 1 as we prepare to close our doors for the season on June 20th.
There is still a great selection of bedding plants, vegetables, herbs, annuals, succulents and Rex Begonias!
Come in and pick up a few things to fill that last spot in the flower bed, vegetable garden or create one final planter.

Happy Gardening!
The Greenery Family
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

My potato plants are flowering. Seems early to me. :200:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Harvested a pile of lettuce and young dill destined for tonite’s salad feast.

Quail have been successfully deterred from picking lettuces apart. Carrots will be ready very soon, young, snappy and tasty. The green beans that didn’t get frozen are ready to bloom.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Using kitchen scraps to regrow veggies

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

My lettuces are starting to leaf out, my radishes are going crazy (time to sow another row I think).

The beans are coming along fine (black beans, burgandy bush beans and my grandpa's pole beans), I have volunteer swiss chard popping up all over the place. Tomatoes are coming along, starting to flower now. Peppers are tiny sad little things but they're flowering now, so maybe they'll also grow a bit. Kohlrabi is getting tall, but no bulbs on them yet. The little bok-choi I planted are getting huge, but they're also attracting any leaf-eating critter so not a total loss. Rhubarb is getting crazy big. My squashes are starting to get larger now, too. My cucumbers seem a bit slow to grow in comparison and not all of them have survived.

The dahlias that I despaired of are actually growing! Better late than never. Only, I have something stripping the leaves down to nothing on a few of them :-X I planted a marigold beside the most heavily stricken plant (also my favourite colour of the dahlias!) and come to look at it today, half the leaves on that marigold are likewise stripped :swear: :cuss: :swear: :cuss: Seriously, what bug eats marigold leaves? I hope it got a bellyache! I sprinkled a bunch of crushed eggshells around, hoping that inconveniences or stops that pest.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Instead of egg shells, use oyster shells. They are harder and sharper.

Won't do much good though if the past digs under the the shells and comes up next to the stalk.

Oyster shells can be purchased at Buckerfields (Spall and Springfield).
Bring back the LIKE button.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

For those of you that are growing garlic, the scapes are forming.
Cut them off to promote growth in the bulb, but don't forget to use them in cooking. They're almost as good as the real thing.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Thanks for the reminder! I need to get out and do that, probably in the morning.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Got to garden today, followed by 2 sets of pals for a drop in visit..Would you like lettuce for your dinner?? 2 bags harvested for friends, still left me with enough for 4 day outing at lake. Lettuce is coming on fast and furious. [icon_lol2.gif]

Carrots needed thinning,so pulled away like crazy and now have a pot full of fingerlings ready to be cooked together with baby dill. Swoon. Some too small for cooking so tried an experiment, replanting them. Will this work…will report later on. The root ends were long, deeper then the holes I put them into. In other words, they are bent. Will they straighten out and fly right?

All spud plants blooming; tomato plants survived the vicious frostbite and are looking good, they even put on new branches and several suckers which I carefully nipped out with freshly manicured nails.

Cucs…still being pecked at, but upon closer inspection of the damage, has to be earwigs and not the quail. What will be, will be.

Bean plants that survived frost are doing fine, soon to bloom.

Zuc are surviving but seem so slow, same with Acorn squash. Maybe impatient gardener?

Unknown
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

fresh lettuce sounds good, but imo you have to use same day it is picked.
I like it with sugar and vinegar... ( you mix the 2 together)
Deer have been harvesting the gardens near me - plus side won't be cursed with squash lol

Last year the tenant next door planted a garden, he was very proud. Told me he'd give me fresh product. He appears at the door and gave me a radish. Yes, ONE radish. I was polite

looked wormy and I tossed it
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

One wormy radish

He musta had a “thing” for you! [icon_lol2.gif]

Unknown

Return to “Creative Endeavours”