Churches Burn on Reserves

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Churches Burn on Reserves

Post by Anonymous123 »

Arson? Spontaneous combustion? I doubt the cause will ever be known.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... l-process-
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Re: Church Burns on PIB Reserve

Post by common_sense_guy »

If I had to guess who the culprit was. I would guess it's a member of the band. It'll be interesting to see how the media takes the story and runs with it. My guess is that would also be suggesting it was someone other than an Indian band member.
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
Lilybean84

Post by Lilybean84 »

I doubt anyone really has to say why. It's kind a given.
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

You gotta love the news stories all ready about this. Normally the story would be all about the fires, the completely brain dead, dangerous thing someone did. The safety of all put to risk by these fires spreading throughout the bush and possibly starting horrible forest fires that could effect everyone and costing millions.
Nope, story covers a few lines of the church fires and jumps right into, "It also comes as Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, president of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs, marked the day by calling on Canada to "repudiate the colonial processes".
"In a press release issued by the UBCIC, Phillip said: "Facing the difficulties of a pandemic, continued systemic discrimination, police harassment and brutality, violations of their human and Indigenous rights, and attempts from governments and corporations to usurp their jurisdiction over their lands and resources, particularly old growth forests, Indigenous peoples have fought against the oppressive tide of colonial forces and persevered."

Whats next to burn, all the houses built and schools built during some of the some periods of time. With finances from some of the same sources. Lets not stop with just the churches.
This is just starting, get ready to be held accountable like no other.
"If I find out who's been running this country for the last 8.5 yrs into the ground, there will be hell to pay",,,,,,,,,Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Two churches in one night? Do you think that there will be more across Canada in the next while?
https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... l-process-
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Lilybean84 wrote: Jun 21st, 2021, 8:54 am I doubt anyone really has to say why. It's kind a given.
That will reverse history.

One step closer to reconciliation!!

Very sad, I realize it is not all but it only takes one. This fire likely started by a gas can and bic lighter.
jbraidwo

Post by jbraidwo »

OMG what a waste!! They could have been torn down and the lumber sold.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

jbraidwo wrote: Jun 21st, 2021, 12:35 pm OMG what a waste!! They could have been torn down and the lumber sold.
I was never in these churches. Although I'll bet there was some very nice woodwork in them and someone could made good use of it.

Very sad, it won't erase a thing.
jbraidwo

Post by jbraidwo »

Ken7 wrote: Jun 21st, 2021, 12:38 pm
jbraidwo wrote: Jun 21st, 2021, 12:35 pm OMG what a waste!! They could have been torn down and the lumber sold.
I was never in these churches. Although I'll bet there was some very nice woodwork in them and someone could made good use of it.

Very sad, it won't erase a thing.
No it won't erase a thing. But it might make them feel a little better. If you had an organization that buried some of your family members in secret graves and never gave you a chance to properly bury them or mourn their loss, you might strike out too. At least no one was killed or harmed.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

jbraidwo wrote: Jun 21st, 2021, 1:39 pm
No it won't erase a thing. But it might make them feel a little better. If you had an organization that buried some of your family members in secret graves and never gave you a chance to properly bury them or mourn their loss, you might strike out too. At least no one was killed or harmed.
[/quote]

I'm not sure what would be found if unearthed. As for families not being able to mourn, how do we know these stories have any truth? Is it true some families, very possible. When were these graves made? we just will not know... maybe it is Chinese people in them who roamed Canada first.

I always say don't jump to conclusions.

It is like believing nothing, and I say nothing was good about schooling. That is not totally true, but some wish to tell their story.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

jbraidwo wrote: Jun 21st, 2021, 1:39 pm No it won't erase a thing. But it might make them feel a little better. If you had an organization that buried some of your family members in secret graves and never gave you a chance to properly bury them or mourn their loss, you might strike out too. At least no one was killed or harmed.
So I guess it would be ok for me to burn down a mosque because "some" Islamic terrorists killed thousands? I get triggered every September so I want to feel better?
No it would not be ok. It is a hate crime against a religious group. Makes no difference what was done in the past. Excusing anyone for burning churches to the ground is blatantly wrong.
But, let the reconciliation begin. Great start. :up:
And shouldn't Grand :cuss: Stewart "Blockade" Phillip be charged with inciting? Kind of like Trump?
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

I see this as another possible division in the Band, sadly. If it WAS arson and if it WAS a member of the Band who started it, what would the elders who may often attend that church now feel? Would they agree with such an act? Where are they now to go in order to worship? Who will repay to build another one?

Note: it seems unlikely that it would be a non-native who would have started the fires; doubt they have anything against the Catholic Churches; at least not enough to burn them down. Vandalism by anyone is wrong and anti-religious.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

common_sense_guy wrote: Jun 21st, 2021, 8:36 am If I had to guess who the culprit was. I would guess it's a member of the band. It'll be interesting to see how the media takes the story and runs with it. My guess is that would also be suggesting it was someone other than an Indian band member.
100% correct........ sad but true
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
jbraidwo

Post by jbraidwo »

[/quote]
So I guess it would be ok for me to burn down a mosque because "some" Islamic terrorists killed thousands? I get triggered every September so I want to feel better?
No it would not be ok. It is a hate crime against a religious group. Makes no difference what was done in the past. Excusing anyone for burning churches to the ground is blatantly wrong.
But, let the reconciliation begin. Great start. :up:
And shouldn't Grand :cuss: Stewart "Blockade" Phillip be charged with inciting? Kind of like Trump?
[/quote]

Did I say it was ok for them to do it? Not at all, who ever burnt those churches down was wrong. I'm just trying to look at it from their side. When people get angry enough they act out, it is almost never the right thing to do.. Your comment "Kind of like Trump?" Well if Stewart Phillip incites people to commit crimes, then yes, he should be charged.
Pedreira

Post by Pedreira »

Two wrongs do not make a right, regardless of race or culture. This is a hate crime and I would like to see it treated as such. True reconciliation involves sitting, talking, supporting, and learning. It is most likely that the people most affected by this act are the ones that most long for that dialogue.

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/column ... al-schools
Last edited by Pedreira on Jun 21st, 2021, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “B.C.”