Paul Bernardo denied parole

bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Paul Bernardo denied parole

Post by bob vernon »

Paul Bernardo was again denied parole today. Rant away.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/33 ... ied-parole
my5cents
Guru

Re: Paul Bernardo denied parole

Post by my5cents »

He wanted to come to Kelowna !!!! What ! ?

Our parole system, what a great way to continue to re-victimize the victims. Great job Canada !

Oh, and while we're talking about Canadian law what about the Alexandre Bissonnette case, where he killed six people and was given 5 concurrent sentences of 25 years before parole and then one consecutive 15 year before parole (ie, 40 years before he could apply for parole) was over turned by the Quebec court of appeal as cruel and unusual punishment, he can now apply after 25 years, when he is 54 years old, plenty of time to kill some more.

Isn't killing cruel ?

So if you are going to kill, once you've killed one, the rest are freebies (volume discount).
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

but but he has human rights :135: :200:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

my5cents wrote: Jun 22nd, 2021, 12:34 pm He wanted to come to Kelowna !!!! What ! ?

Our parole system, what a great way to continue to re-victimize the victims. Great job Canada !

Oh, and while we're talking about Canadian law what about the Alexandre Bissonnette case, where he killed six people and was given 5 concurrent sentences of 25 years before parole and then one consecutive 15 year before parole (ie, 40 years before he could apply for parole) was over turned by the Quebec court of appeal as cruel and unusual punishment, he can now apply after 25 years, when he is 54 years old, plenty of time to kill some more.

Isn't killing cruel ?

So if you are going to kill, once you've killed one, the rest are freebies (volume discount).
Canadian justice system doesn’t give a damn about the victims... that cruel and unusual punishment thing is thanks to Papa trudeau.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Is the lying sack of crap Justin Trudeau going to give Bernardo $10 million for the inconvenience?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Gone_Fishin wrote: Jun 23rd, 2021, 9:47 am Is the lying sack of crap Justin Trudeau going to give Bernardo $10 million for the inconvenience?
will he does like to give killers money,
jt to bernardo would you like a pardon with that sir
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

The only thing Paul Bernardo should be denied, is oxygen. Problem solved.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

my5cents wrote: Our parole system, what a great way to continue to re-victimize the victims. Great job Canada !
I think the article clearly states he was denied parole. Seems they got it right - at least this time.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Ka-El wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 10:41 am
my5cents wrote: Our parole system, what a great way to continue to re-victimize the victims. Great job Canada !
I think the article clearly states he was denied parole. Seems they got it right - at least this time.
You missed my point, I was speaking about the "parole system", the family of these victims can be forced to go through this every two years. That is re-victimizing the families. Bernardo, apparently didn't lift a finger to complete any of the suggested courses needed to be realistically considered for parole. This parole hearing for which he hadn't completed any of the suggested courses appears to be just a nice break in Bernardo's day to day prison life. A chance to get some attention.

If nothing else, something should be set up to pre-determine if there's a snow balls chance in hell a convict will be considered for released on parole. If, like in the Bernardo case there wasn't, don't bother the family just deny him the opportunity to be considered.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

my5cents wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 1:18 pm

You missed my point, I was speaking about the "parole system", the family of these victims can be forced to go through this every two years. That is re-victimizing the families. Bernardo, apparently didn't lift a finger to complete any of the suggested courses needed to be realistically considered for parole. This parole hearing for which he hadn't completed any of the suggested courses appears to be just a nice break in Bernardo's day to day prison life. A chance to get some attention.
Good point, and very likely true. And I do agree the existing system is not fair to victims.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Those prison psychologists are such a bunch of incompetent fools, it's rare to see anything good come out of that "system" of parole assessments.

I guess even a blind squirrel finds the odd peanut - at least this time.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

agree 100%
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Gone_Fishin wrote: Those prison psychologists are such a bunch of incompetent fools, it's rare to see anything good come out of that "system" of parole assessments.
Parole Boards actually operate at ‘arms length” from the CSC. As a quasi judicial body they have to maintain their objectivity and be seen as independent. Reports from “prison psychologists” are only part of what is considered. Community assessments on release plans are also conducted by Parole Officers. Not only did Bernado do no work on a release plan, but his crimes were so heinous he won't ever be getting out. Christopher Olsen died in prison and so will Bernado. PBC parole hearing participants include: The Board Members, the CSC Parole Officer, the offender and his assistant. The assistant is someone of the offender's choosing, i.e. a family member or a lawyer. A victim may present a statement to the Board Members and may choose to read it or to present it on a videotape or an audiotape. Victims don’t necessarily have to appear, and the Parole Officer is the only CSC staff member there. As already noted, the real unfair part in all of this is these guys know they will never be successful at being granted parole and simply do it for the attention. There could be improvement for sure.
Parole Board members reflect the diversity of Canadian society. They come from many different walks of life, such as criminology, law, police, social work, medicine, education, business, and private and public service management. Board members are trained in risk assessment and conditional release decision-making.

https://www.canada.ca/en/parole-board/c ... afety.html
The Parole Board of Canada (PBC) is an independent administrative tribunal that, as part of the Canadian criminal justice system, makes quality conditional release and record suspension decisions, and clemency recommendations. The PBC contributes to the protection of society by facilitating, as appropriate, the timely reintegration of offenders as law-abiding citizens. Public safety is the primary consideration in all PBC decisions.

https://www.canada.ca/en/parole-board.html
How are parole decisions made?

Parole decisions are made by Board members either through an in-office file review (without a hearing) or a face-to-face hearing with the offender and their parole officer.
In addition to standard face-to-face hearings, offenders can request Elder-assisted hearings and community-assisted hearings. Elder-assisted hearings involve an Elder or advisor and are held in a circle format. Community-assisted hearings also include an Elder or advisor, but are usually held in the community where the offender plans to live.

Information used by Board members in parole decisions

Board members consider all relevant and available information in assessing an offender's risk to re-offend.
Information from the police, courts, Crown attorneys, mental health professionals, correctional authorities, private agencies, and victims of crime is used in assessing an offender's risk to re-offend and whether that risk can be safely managed in the community.

This information can take the form of judges' sentencing comments or recommendations, employment history, and psychological and/or psychiatric assessments, for example.

Board members also refer to actuarial assessments and risk assessment tools.

https://www.canada.ca/en/parole-board/c ... afety.html
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Jx3 wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 10:13 am The only thing Paul Bernardo should be denied, is oxygen. Problem solved.
that would be too quick and easy. I say, give him the oxygen, but deny him drink, feed only dehydrated food.
And too bad his side-kick got off relatively easy. She should still be in jail too.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Jun 24th, 2021, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 2:42 pm
Jx3 wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 10:13 am The only thing Paul Bernardo should be denied, is oxygen. Problem solved.
that would be too quick and easy. I say, give him the oxygen, but deny him drink, feed only dehydrated food.
Still too quick and easy. I say make him spend the rest of his life in a small cage with limited time outside his cell.

:135: oh, wait

Return to “Canada”