Ant Problem

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
W105
Guru

Ant Problem

Post by W105 »

this year at the lake we have a massive ant problem !! in all our yrs down there we have never seen them this bad !! they are now making their way into our RV and I have done everything I can think of to keep them out but nope, the buggers keep coming by the hundreds/thousands...and yes I googled it and yes I have tried almost everything that is suggested but nothing seems to work...does anybody have any suggestions on how to keep them from getting into our RV ?? I spray the door frame everyday with ant killer and I have 2 ant traps right inside the door (one at each side) and that does not stop them in the least.. :-X
Sparki55
Guru

Re: Ant Problem

Post by Sparki55 »

That sucks W105!

We had the same at my home this year. Our deck was rotting and they made a path up that and into our home.

We spent $100 at Home Depot and bought ant food (poison) in a tube, ant traps (they go in and then go home and affect the nest), ant killer spray, and nest destroyer.

Start by watching them (I know, boring, can take an hour). See where they go, they leave scent trails for future travels). Set the in/ out traps and food poison on the pathway in multiple locations.

Wait 2 days after doing that, this will allow for them to bring the poison food and workers to the nest to start infecting them. Watch them and find the nests (if you can).

Day 3, spray nest killer in the holes. Nest killer comes with straws that insert deep into nests.

Day 4, spray the perimeter of the rv with the ant killer and replace daily for a week.

You should have a handle on them after that. If not, call help.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

We had an infestation that got into our house, over a period of 2 or 3 years. So this year I got serious.
About the time they were ready to make an appearance in the spring, I put out 5 different sets of poisons in several locations.
I was ready for them and when they appeared they went for the poisons. That was April.

Over a period of about 2 or 3 months they kept on feeding and I kept on replacing the poisons.

Now it's August and not an ant in sight.

The key to ridding yourself of ants is to give them a variety of poisons/foods. As the young develope their food requirements change.

So pick up as many different poisons as you can and be persistent.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Jun 24th, 2021, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bait
Bring back the LIKE button.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

Removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Jun 24th, 2021, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Removed
Reason: Baiting
Bring back the LIKE button.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Removed
Reason: Response to removed
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

thanks for the suggestions Sparki and BB49 :) we are right on the lake and I cannot battle the source...them b-turds have huge colonies down by the water and in the sandy areas..I spray our daily deck congo ant line, but once I do that they just start another one...so now I am down to just finding a way to stop them from coming in the RV...like I said I spray the door frame daily, got the killer hotels, got my husband to put a small line of gas right under the RV steps ( that helped for about a week) ...I was wondering if there was something ( that is relatively cheap ) that I could spread under the entire RV ?? it's just dirt so I could rake it in ?? I am spending $$ on battling these b-turds and would like a cheap fix just to stop them from thinking our RV is an Ant Air BnB..

this may sound stupid but I was wondering if maybe spreading comet cleanser under the entire RV would work ??...you can buy that stuff cheap at the dollar store and the rain won't wash it away cause it's under the RV..think it would work ??
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

W105 wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 4:45 pm thanks for the suggestions Sparki and BB49 :) we are right on the lake and I cannot battle the source...them b-turds have huge colonies down by the water and in the sandy areas.
Welcome!

Well, that's not fun if you can't get the source!

Planting a perimeter of peppermint, rosemary, thyme, lavender, tansy, pennyroyal, the common yarrow, or garlic would help, if you have the space.

Good luck!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Put diatomaceous earth under the RV.

https://www.finegardening.com/article/d ... ant-killer
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

With great success I used a line of sugar off and away from dwelling. Left another couple of spoonfuls under a covering to keep it dry and keep them occupied. Do it again if they start returning to your home
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

Bsuds wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 5:26 pm Put diatomaceous earth under the RV.

https://www.finegardening.com/article/d ... ant-killer
^^ thank you Bsuds :up: so gonna try it !!
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

It's not necessary for you to find the source.
Just put plenty of poisons out and the ants will take it back.

Along with the commercial versions, there is one out there that uses Borax, Google it. Their laundry soap will do the job. Just add it to your arsenal.

I learned this from a university prof who studies ants.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

bb49 wrote: Jun 24th, 2021, 8:42 pm Along with the commercial versions, there is one out there that uses Borax, Google it. Their laundry soap will do the job. Just add it to your arsenal.A

I learned this from a university prof who studies ants.
Most grocery stores carry Borax ... Superstore has a 1.84kg box for $5.98.

Borax Ant Killer
https://www.pestguides.com/how-to-kill- ... er-recipe/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I buy the Terro ant-bait products, they work like a charm.

https://www.homehardware.ca/en/6-pack-o ... /p/5047561

I also use diatomaceous earth around the nests.
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”