Colour dye stain

A potpourri of off-topics.
W105
Guru

Colour dye stain

Post by W105 »

I washed my most favourite white cotton shirt ( it has some embroidery on the neck line, dark blue) and a darn blue shirt got mixed into the wash and stained it in some spots..I have tried soaking it ( for 2 hrs) in oxyclean , then washed it with a very small amount of bleach and it didn't work...so I sprayed it with hair spray and let it sit...didn't work...then I made a mixture of the oxyclean powder and oxyclean spray and it didn't work..

does anybody have any suggestions on how to get it out ( praying water babe has something up her sleeve, cause that gal knows about everything !!)
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Colour dye stain

Post by ferri »

I accidently used "Goof Off" on a stain and found it takes out even old stains that have been there forever. It smells pretty bad and will take a few washes to get the stink out (chemical smell not rotten potato like thing...). It'd be worth a shot!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

omg, really Ferri ?? I actually have some on hand...gonna try it !! thank you :up:
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Start off with these 2 methods and see what happens.

1. Sponge the stain with a mixture of 2 cups of water, 1 tablespoon of ammonia and 1 teaspoon of a liquid dish soap. Wait a minute or two before blotting with a lint-free towel to remove the mixture along with the stain. Repeat this process a few times to remove a large portion of the stain from the fabric.

2. Soak the affected clothing in the washing machine in cool water and oxygenized non-chlorine bleach (e.g., OxiClean), mixed according to package directions for eight hours. Repeat as many times as needed. Wash and dry as usual when the stain is gone. ual.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

De-Solv-It Citrus Laundry spray. You can get it at Industrial plastics and paints on Windsor RD.

It worked wonders with my son's white chefs jackets.

Spray on the spot and let sit for awhile then throw in the wash as usual. Sometimes took a couple of applications but worked on most stains.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

W105 wrote: Jul 5th, 2021, 10:34 am omg, really Ferri ?? I actually have some on hand...gonna try it !! thank you :up:
I have a raggedy old off white too big sweater that I adore and one day magically this big old brown stain appeared. I tried everything and it wouldn't come out. I grabbed the can of Goof Off thinking it was stain remover and lo and behold, it was. lol
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

you people rock !! :D

I actually have some ammonia ( it is very hard to find in stores these days for some reason ??) so I'm gonna try that too water babe ...going to try the goof off first, at this point I have nothing to lose

never even heard of what you suggested Bsuds, so could have used that back in the days when I was chef-ing on my whites !! gonna buy some tomorrow just to keep on hand.. :up:

my friend suggested pure lemon juice and baking soda and than put it in the sun all day...but I just don't think it will work..I really thought the hair spray would since it takes ink stains out of almost anything...but nope..was going to try rubbing alcohol but if the hair spray didn't work I don't think that will either..

I literally wanna burn that shirt that destroyed my favourite top...but it's my husband's favourite ( and now I hate it..lol) shirt and he'll notice if it's gone.. :swear:
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

well, I have a winner !!! :D

my friend said to try the hairspray and oxiclean and let it soak one more time..so I did...AND it worked !! the hairspray I think was the major factor..I used to use it when a pen would accidentally be left in something and explode in the wash or dryer..used on the clothes and inside the dryer if it exploded in there..

so thank you all for your advice, I will keep them all in mind whenever I encounter another stain and I hope my tip will save you some grief too :up:

"Hairspray".. keeper of beehive and rock star hairdos and it gets rid of colour stains :130:

Return to “Grab Bag”