So, I don't have kids. Don't want em either.

A potpourri of off-topics.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

good ones Fancy! "We're still practicing" works too. :wink: another nice one, "I'm waiting to see how your's turn out."
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
MADGE
Fledgling

Post by MADGE »

:145:Children are a lot of work and you have to be pretty secure in your marriage before you decide.
I had the advantage of staying home with mine untill I divorced and then had to work full time to support them when they were 10 and 11.

I get a lot of pleasure from my children but into todays world I would think twice.

It is totally different than it was 30 years ago. I have noticed the people have their children a lot younger than the ones in Vancouver. They wait untill they have a well paying job and a house. In Vancouver my friends were in their late 30tys when they had them. :127:
PathQuest

Kids

Post by PathQuest »

If I am annoyed when someone asks me why we dont have kids I always tell them, "Well, to be honest, humankind is going to hell in a handbasket- bringing another being into the world is just about the most irresponsible thing I can think of."

Then as their eyes bug out I look down my nose at their children. Muahahaha.

It's no one's business if/when you decide to have kids. Nor is it their business if you even like kids. Isn't it better that those who don't actually like kids, don't have kids?

I like dogs. Some of my friends like cats. We still get along.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Kids

Post by gardengirl »

PathQuest wrote:If I am annoyed when someone asks me why we dont have kids I always tell them, "Well, to be honest, humankind is going to hell in a handbasket- bringing another being into the world is just about the most irresponsible thing I can think of."

It's no one's business if/when you decide to have kids. Nor is it their business if you even like kids. Isn't it better that those who don't actually like kids, don't have kids?

So you don't like cats? What have you got against cats?
You'll change your mind when you get one.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
westsidemom
Board Meister

Post by westsidemom »

gardengirl wrote:
PathQuest wrote:If I am annoyed when someone asks me why we dont have kids I always tell them, "Well, to be honest, humankind is going to hell in a handbasket- bringing another being into the world is just about the most irresponsible thing I can think of."

You'll change your mind when you get one.

I love cats! I am just allergic to them :(
Ignorance is curable; stupidity is not...
crash 99
Walks on Forum Water

Post by crash 99 »

gardengirl wrote:

You'll change your mind when you get one

Brat!! See your point HUGE though..

I personally always wanted children...and can't have them.
Am I bitter? No..life sucks sometimes.

Do I think that everyone should be thrilled with the thought of having children?? HELL NO!

If someone knows themselves well enough to know that they do not want children who's business is it for anyone else to decide??

people can be such "jerks!!" :-X
AlanH
Lord of the Board

Post by AlanH »

Have kids, or don't have kids. It's a choice for you to make. After having mine I wouldn't change it for the world.... well, except to be single again! Oh Yeah....

Meh... either way is fun.
SpazmoTheMagnificent
Übergod

Post by SpazmoTheMagnificent »

Jo wrote:Exactly, Baba. I know, for example, that I always felt awkward when I was a young mum and people praised our daughter for being pretty or smart or whatever. I never knew what to say, whether to say thank you (which seemed presumptious) or what. In awkward situations we're all capable of saying something 'wrong'.

Exactly. Its that feeling I play on when caught in the original posters dilemma.
I just say...no we do not want children of our own. Bringing our own children onto the planet is just plain stupid. (that usually gets there face a little screwed sideways) Then I throw in...We are in the process of adopting...we find that we can help children the planet already has without adding to the problem with our own. (This gets them walking in the other direction).
I always tell them to have a good day after insulting them.
aurora_spirit

Post by aurora_spirit »

I didn't want kids for the longest time and assumed I never would. I changed my mind when I was about 28. Things didn't work out with me and my husband, so I am 34 and childless. I'm pretty sad about it.

I don't make enough money to have a child on my own, so I think I'm giving up on the idea. I am afraid of being an old lady and being all alone all the time, especially Christmas. I only have one sibling and she isn't going to have children either. I'm pretty depressed about it. No children in the family at all.

My parents didn't seem to like children and treated us like a burden, especially after they divorced, so I'm sure it soured my sister and I against the idea somewhat.

I am upset about not having children, but on the other hand, I don't know if it's right to bring children into this "hell in a handbasket" society of ours. People seem to get more and more selfish and money / material obsessed with each passing day. Chances are, I wouldn't be able to afford a cell phone, designer clothing, $200 shoes for my children, which seems to be what they except these days.

I guess I am doomed to wander the earth alone like the incredible hulk (I stole that line from "The Wedding Singer").

Sigh :smt073
Let your spirit soar.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

aurora_spirit wrote:I didn't want kids for the longest time and assumed I never would. I changed my mind when I was about 28. Things didn't work out with me and my husband, so I am 34 and childless. I'm pretty sad about it.

I don't make enough money to have a child on my own, so I think I'm giving up on the idea. I am afraid of being an old lady and being all alone all the time, especially Christmas. I only have one sibling and she isn't going to have children either. I'm pretty depressed about it. No children in the family at all.

My parents didn't seem to like children and treated us like a burden, especially after they divorced, so I'm sure it soured my sister and I against the idea somewhat.

I am upset about not having children, but on the other hand, I don't know if it's right to bring children into this "hell in a handbasket" society of ours. People seem to get more and more selfish and money / material obsessed with each passing day. Chances are, I wouldn't be able to afford a cell phone, designer clothing, $200 shoes for my children, which seems to be what they except these days.

I guess I am doomed to wander the earth alone like the incredible hulk (I stole that line from "The Wedding Singer").

Sigh :smt073

What about fostering? You could have children in your life and be paid for it.
aurora_spirit

Post by aurora_spirit »

I suppose that's an option Garden Girl. I'm still not sure if I would have enough money to do it. I have no idea how much the government pays for foster parents. I would also really worry about becoming attached to a child and then having the child taken away from me (if the parent fought to get the child back etc.). It is something I will think about. I wonder if they are okay with single, working women fostering kids.
Let your spirit soar.
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

aurora_spirit wrote:I didn't want kids for the longest time and assumed I never would. I changed my mind when I was about 28. Things didn't work out with me and my husband, so I am 34 and childless. I'm pretty sad about it.

I don't make enough money to have a child on my own, so I think I'm giving up on the idea. I only have one sibling and she isn't going to have children either. I'm pretty depressed about it. No children in the family at all.

My parents ... divorced, so I'm sure it soured my sister and I against the idea somewhat.

I am upset about not having children, but on the other hand, I don't know if it's right to bring children into this "hell in a handbasket" society of ours.

This almost exactly describes my circumstances. :)

The following does not though:

aurora_spirit wrote: I am afraid of being an old lady and being all alone all the time, especially Christmas.

Many people seem to have children for rather selfish, even narcissistic reasons. Plenty of kids move away or go on to have nothing to do with their parents, so having a kid isn't always a guarantee of company at Christmas, let alone any other time of year!
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
aurora_spirit

Post by aurora_spirit »

That's true Baba O' R. My sister barely even speaks to our parents and never sees one of them. I guess you never know what having children will bring to your life. My life is already heavy with burden, I don't know that I could handle adding children to the mix. I do like having my freedom too. Extra spending money is nice too.

I make a decent living, but not enough to support a child on my own. My parents are both approaching retirement and keep hinting that they didn't haven't enough foresight to save money for retirement and that they are both broke. They both seem to want to move in with me and have me support them (they are divorced, so I can't have both of them living with me!). This is coming from parents who barely supported me growing up. They burden me with this responsibility. I don't think it's fair. I am smart with money and I "go without" the luxuries they seem to think are neccessary for them. They have spent so much money on trinkets and toys and now have nothing left and want to mooch from me. It's no wonder my sister and I are so cynical about family. Sometimes I feel like moving away and not telling anyone where I went. Sorry, I'm rambling now.
Let your spirit soar.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

aurora_spirit wrote:I suppose that's an option Garden Girl. I'm still not sure if I would have enough money to do it. I have no idea how much the government pays for foster parents. I would also really worry about becoming attached to a child and then having the child taken away from me (if the parent fought to get the child back etc.). It is something I will think about. I wonder if they are okay with single, working women fostering kids.

I would have to check the current rates, but it seems to me they can paying up to $2000/month per child. (There are different rates depending on the age of the child and if they have particular issues such as fetal alcohol syndrome.)

http://www.mcf.gov.bc.ca/foster/pdf/rat ... ase_qa.pdf

Return to “Grab Bag”