Breaking: JWR not running again

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Breaking: JWR not running again

Post by Gone_Fishin »

What a sad day for Canada.

A strong woman who spoke truth to power.

She's not leaving for the usual canned excuses of "time with family" etc. She's leaving because of Justin Trudeau's toxic government.

https://www.jodywilson-raybould.ca/upda ... uly-8-2021
From my seat over the last six years, I have noticed a change in Parliament, a regression. It has become more and more toxic and ineffective while simultaneously marginalizing individuals from certain backgrounds. Federal politics is, in my view, increasingly a disgraceful triumph of harmful partisanship over substantive action.
Initially, I thought the pandemic would reinforce the urgent need to make our governing institutions work better, and for a time it did. At the outset, and in the face of a common threat, the political parties worked together for the good of all Canadians. But all too quickly, we saw a return to more common patterns of self-interested partisanship, game-playing, and jockeying for advantage.

And that is the crux of the problem. We’ve been through and continue to go through incredibly challenging times: a pandemic and the first tentative steps down the road to recovery; shattering revelations about our history and the urgent need for true justice and reconciliation; a growing crisis of climate change that is setting villages on fire. If none of this can shake our partisan patterns of behaviour, what can? The fact that we even need to ask the question reveals the depth of change that is needed. And that change is not going to happen from within the system that itself needs to change.

This crisis is not really about the individual people in politics, many of whom are well-intentioned and do good work. Rather, it is in the way we practice democracy in Canada and how we need to reconsider it moving forward. The privileges we give political parties. The out-of-date norms of our first-past-the-post electoral system. The lack of inclusiveness. The power of the prime minister and the centralization of power in the hands of those who are unelected. The erosion of governing principles and conventions to the point where there are limited or no consequences for wrongful acts undertaken for political benefit. The lack of courage to speak the truth—and the failure of bystanders to support those who do.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
foenix
Guru

Re: Breaking: JWR not running again

Post by foenix »

Oh did she finally qualify for the "golden egg" pension? I'm sure she did or she wouldn't be retiring.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Yet another strong Indigenous woman is forced out of politics and bullied by a Trudeau. Just disgusting.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

The power of the prime minister and the centralization of power in the hands of those who are unelected. The erosion of governing principles and conventions to the point where there are limited or no consequences for wrongful acts undertaken for political benefit. The lack of courage to speak the truth—and the failure of bystanders to support those who do.
This quote says it all; particularly the part about the “centralization of power in the hands of those who are unelected”.

That was the problem with the Harper Government, and it’s still a problem with the Trudeau Government.

It’s time the folks in the PMO began acting as the servants of Parliament that they ought to be, instead of it’s Master.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Merry wrote: Jul 8th, 2021, 8:47 am
The power of the prime minister and the centralization of power in the hands of those who are unelected. The erosion of governing principles and conventions to the point where there are limited or no consequences for wrongful acts undertaken for political benefit. The lack of courage to speak the truth—and the failure of bystanders to support those who do.
This quote says it all; particularly the part about the “centralization of power in the hands of those who are unelected”.

That was the problem with the Harper Government, and it’s still a problem with the Trudeau Government.

It’s time the folks in the PMO began acting as the servants of Parliament that they ought to be, instead of it’s Master.
....and if JT and the Libs manage to fumbles the ball before the election and if the bumbling CPCs somehow miraculously squeak in, they will be no different than Harper's or JT's government. That's a given and if peeps don't believe that, then they are in dreamland and deluding themselves.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

foenix wrote: Jul 8th, 2021, 8:54 am
Merry wrote: Jul 8th, 2021, 8:47 am

....and if JT and the Libs manage to fumbles the ball before the election and if the bumbling CPCs somehow miraculously squeak in, they will be no different than Harper's or JT's government. That's a given and if peeps don't believe that, then they are in dreamland and deluding themselves.
Unless you have a crystal ball, you have no way of knowing that.

I favour removing someone we KNOW is doing a bad job, rather than keeping him because we’re scared his replacement might do a bad job. Let’s give Erin a chance and, if he does turn out to be as bad as you fear, we’ll dump him too next time around.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

She's not running because she would lose.

All posts 100% moderator approved!
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

crookedmember wrote: Jul 8th, 2021, 9:12 am She's not running because she would lose.
Utter nonsense.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Faced with disgusting, racist attacks by Liberals like Carolyn Bennett, it must be difficult for a First Nations person to forge on and keep trying to make our country a better place.

And remember when Trudeau assembled an army of DIs to smear JWR's name in the midst of the SNC scandal? Constant racist attacks from Justin Trudeau on our First Nations is what we're seeing here.

And a message to all indigenous voters: you have the voice to get rid of the racist Justin Trudeau, please use it.

Now, the Union of BC Indian Chiefs (UBCIC) is calling on Bennett to step down from her cabinet role.

“UBCIC is deeply disturbed and disgusted by the extreme callousness, spite, and ignorance you have shown through the racist message you sent to MP Jody Wilson-Raybould on Twitter, and is calling for your immediate resignation as the Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations,” read a press release from UBCIC, issued Friday.

“Instead of heeding MP Wilson-Raybould’s message with the seriousness warranted as she called for immediate and transformative action following the horrific news that another 751 unmarked gravesites have been located at a former Indian Residential School site in Saskatchewan — you decided to lash out with a colonizer’s tongue. This was a cowardly attempt to silence a powerful Indigenous voice calling out for truth, action and justice.”

Wilson-Raybould tweeted a screenshot of the text on Thursday, calling it “racist and misogynist.”

She said it shows disdain for the experiences of Indigenous people and reflects the “notion that Indigenous people are lazy and only want (money).”

“I think that we should all take pause, that we have a minister of Crown-Indigenous relations whose instinctive response is what she said to me over a text message,” Wilson Raybould said Thursday in an interview with Global News.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7980231/benn ... ign-ubcic/
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Who knows maybe She will take on the trudeau government from her heritage side and as a lawyer to help First Nation.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Merry wrote: Jul 8th, 2021, 9:02 am
foenix wrote: Jul 8th, 2021, 8:54 am

Unless you have a crystal ball, you have no way of knowing that.

I favour removing someone we KNOW is doing a bad job, rather than keeping him because we’re scared his replacement might do a bad job. Let’s give Erin a chance and, if he does turn out to be as bad as you fear, we’ll dump him too next time around.
My partisan ball is just as crystal clear as yours. Problem here isn't O'Toole per se (although he's close second), it's his party, the CPC. I rather take the devil I know than the devil that wrecked Canada last time. So JT and the Libs are still the lesser of two evils for me.

:topic:

It's too bad JWR was a rookie and naive about the inner workings of the government or she might have had a shot at real power and had a say in shaping policies that are beneficial for her people. As it is, she's out of politics and wish her luck in her law career with a nice little pension from the Canadian taxpayers for all her troubles as a going away present.........Bon voyagi, Judy.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

foenix wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 9:59 am My partisan ball is just as crystal clear as yours. Problem here isn't O'Toole per se (although he's close second), it's his party, the CPC. I rather take the devil I know than the devil that wrecked Canada last time. So JT and the Libs are still the lesser of two evils for me.

:topic:

It's too bad JWR was a rookie and naive about the inner workings of the government or she might have had a shot at real power and had a say in shaping policies that are beneficial for her people. As it is, she's out of politics and wish her luck in her law career with a nice little pension from the Canadian taxpayers for all her troubles as a going away present.........Bon voyagi, Judy.
The father :cuss: Canada all to hell now his son is finishing the job.

Unfortunately the other party leaders are just as useless as jt, that’s only reason this criminal will probably win again.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

foenix wrote: Oh did she finally qualify for the "golden egg" pension? I'm sure she did or she wouldn't be retiring.
Actually, she isn't entitled to that pension until October so if there is an election before then she will not be getting it.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

foenix wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 9:59 am
It's too bad JWR was a rookie and naive about the inner workings of the government
And it's also too bad that Carolyn Bennett sent that awful tweet to Raybould too.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Gone_Fishin wrote: Jul 9th, 2021, 7:47 am Faced with disgusting, racist attacks by Liberals like Carolyn Bennett, it must be difficult for a First Nations person to forge on and keep trying to make our country a better place.
Yes for once it would be nice to see Team Liberal own garbage like this. What Bennett did was horribly reprehensible, and probably contributed greatly to JWR leaving politics, and yet not one bit of contrition for such a terrible act. Just so gross.

Return to “Canada”