Crane collapse downtown

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Crane collapse downtown

Post by the truth »

MAPearce wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 4:51 pm
Scrobins94 wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 4:39 pm How does something like this happens? I feel like we have so many safety protocols, things are overengineered for safety, etc...

Hope the injured people recover fully. What a sad day...
Someone effed up ...

It's K Town .. Get it up, get them in , get the loot ..

Or it could be an old crane with unseen metal fatigue ..

Or a "newbie" who *bleep* the bed ..

Gonna have to wait for that .
yup.........
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

JagXKR wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 5:43 pm News conference with the Mission Group CEO says that the contracted workers were not unionized workers.
Safety concerns?
bingo............
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Zazzle wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 6:13 pm Union has nothing to do with safety when it comes to jobsites like these
really now, this horrible accident might prove otherwise.
Cyrus69

Post by Cyrus69 »

the truth wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 6:23 pm
Zazzle wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 6:13 pm Union has nothing to do with safety when it comes to jobsites like these
really now, this horrible accident might prove otherwise.
You know zero details of what actually happened and are trying to imply this wouldn't have happened if the workers were unionized.
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Early news said they were in the process of taking it down.
also heard a specialty crew from the coast was brought it to do the job.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

normaM wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 5:56 pm oh my Heart :( Always disliked Mission Group.. love they said " non union" instead of stating what a tragedy
Effing company does damage control when people died
Maybe our Major and Council can STOP kissing
MG azz
Damn
They hire non union.. save themselves a few bucks, people died
Too upset.... what a sad day in Kelowna
He was asked a direct question "were the workers unionized"? Did you want him to lie?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

vinnied wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 6:25 pm Early news said they were in the process of taking it down.
also heard a specialty crew from the coast was brought it to do the job.

really a specialty crew was brought from the coast to do the job, wow after this result now that's scary
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Good thing Work safe BC will fine the contractors/developers "thousands of dollars" if there is any safety violations.

Oooooooo. I'll bet they are shaking in their boots.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... lace-death

This car wash in Penticton killed a employee and it cost them $2500. This was a car wash company that has zero political influence and/or legal team - the exact opposite of a large Kelowna developer and contractor.

I wonder how much the fine will be? 500 bucks?

The developer and contractors will still walk away with crazy profits. This is just the cost of business!

It's not like these were afforable homes or a bridge/public works. This was just for $$$.

Sad but true.

Also notice how Mission Group is already distancing themselves with the age old "It was a contractor (that we hired) not us!"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Vacancyrate wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 6:30 pm Good thing Work safe BC will fine the contractors/developers "thousands of dollars" if there is any safety violations.

This car wash in Penticton killed a employee and it cost them $2500. This was a car wash company that has zero political influence and/or legal team - the exact opposite of a large Kelowna developer and contractor.

The developer and contractors will still walk away with crazy profits. This is just the cost of business!

It's not like these were afforable homes or a bridge/public works. This was just for $$$.

Sad but true.

Also notice how Mission Group is already distancing themselves with the age old "It was a contractor (that we hired) not us!"
exactly..............
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Vacancyrate wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 6:30 pm Good thing Work safe BC will fine the contractors/developers "thousands of dollars" if there is any safety violations.

Sad but true.

Uuummm it was a contractor and regardless people are dead fines are not changing that and not really relevant at this point
Last edited by Boosted632 on Jul 12th, 2021, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 6:27 pm He was asked a direct question "were the workers unionized"? Did you want him to lie?
Absolutely right. I can see why people refuse to answer questions.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

GordonH wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 6:18 pm My condolences to all Families, Friends and co-workers on their loss today.

As for who, what, when... etc.. etc, I will leave that up to WorkBC.
:up:
blais65

Post by blais65 »

Big time incident here as far as worksafe throughout Canada.
I worked on a similar worksite a couple blocks away from were this happened back in 2010,and i got a job for the day through an agency.You would show up at six in the morning and they would send you on a construction site.It was somewhat a gong show.
I really feel for everyone who is impacted by this terrible tragedy
BlakeBuilt123

Post by BlakeBuilt123 »

My heart goes out to the families that lost their loved one today. I only hope that this fast track, overdevelopment, can be stabilized with the support of the construction industry, to ensure that something like this does not keep happening. We have the resources to mitigate these risks, but still this Sunshine Tax keeps screwing with the lives of us that commit our skills to building this paradise for others!
spooker

Post by spooker »

Before today I thought crane failures were rare ... but a simple search has one in Philly on July 7th and another in Toronto on the 10th ... when they had the fire out at the site near Union and Glenmore a little while ago and had things detoured until they removed the crane ... it's not as rare as I thought though it looks to still be a very small percentage of risk ...

This is terrible and I can't imagine what a task it will be for people affected to pick up the pieces ... I hope that our resilience will help

Return to “Central Okanagan”