Crane collapse downtown

60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: Crane collapse downtown

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

vinnied wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 6:25 pm Early news said they were in the process of taking it down.
also heard a specialty crew from the coast was brought it to do the job.
Exactly its the way it works..Do you think they send a 25 story tower crane up here, and let the construction crew erect it :200:
I dont think so.. There was an accident.. something went wrong.. Happens sometime ...Union or Non Union., both groups have accidents.. and it very unfortunate.
Not the first time in Kelowna either. I remember in the 60,s they lost a guy building the Capri Hotel.
A job I had in Revelstoke, one of the Foremen lost his life on that job..a week before I started.l

To try to pin it on certain type of labour , is just ludicrous.. they dont hire just any internet blowhard to do that kind of work.. :smt045
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Leader

Post by Leader »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 12th, 2021, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 2:17 pm I just talked to the RCMP manning the post at Bernard and St. Paul and they told me I can probably get my truck "later tonight". I said I was worried about it being broken into and she told me "there's a hundred cops surrounding it, I think it's safe".
Awesome cop burn!
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 7:44 pm
Awesome cop burn!
It wasn't a cop burn.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

JagXKR wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 5:43 pm News conference with the Mission Group CEO says that the contracted workers were not unionized workers.
Safety concerns?
Great observation. I have never known a sub-contractor that didn't cut corners for the sake of profit.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

rookie314 wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 6:07 pm
BC Landlord wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 6:00 pm
What does safety have to with unions? I am pretty sure, when it comes to cranes, every operator has to follow prescribed safety protocols. It's like flying a plane. Doesn't matter who's piloting it, there are checklists to go through before you take off. I've actually seen so many screw-ups by unionized workforce, beyond comprehension.
We have safety protocols because of unions.
Beautiful riposte to an obvious defense of contract workers.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Zazzle wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 6:13 pm Union has nothing to do with safety when it comes to jobsites like these
That is because Unions have been run out of town for 40 years.
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

What a sad day for all of those workers at that site and for the friends and relatives of the ones who lost their lives and also the injured.

If one looks at the standing part of this crane the top is bent and looks like some steel beams there were ripped when the swinging crane fell as it separated from the standing section.

This is where the investigation will be aimed as to why did it separate? and usually in this type of dismantling if the wrong bolts are removed from the rear of the upright section when the moving crane is in an opposing position the rear part separates and the moving crane falls then rips away the front part as we can see in the picture.

This will be a long investigation and metal fatigue will also be looked into. But still a very sad day for all and our sympathies are with all of them.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

color=#FF00FF]*removed*[/color
Last edited by ferri on Jul 12th, 2021, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

With 5 deaths you are darn right there will be a lengthy investigation. And the CEO trying to shift blame is a moot point. Especially in regards to Worksafe. They don't just focus on the subs. They follow the money all the way up. By the way.....I wanna go on record saying how tasteless I feel it was to see shout outs to Castanet for ambulance chasing and being first covering the story. That basically dehumanizes the deaths and tragedy that happened.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

color=#FF00FF]*removed*[/color
Last edited by ferri on Jul 12th, 2021, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post
You and 71 others Like this post
daveandanne
Übergod

Post by daveandanne »

In this unfortunate crane collapse blaming it on non union, mayors, tall buildings or a multitude of other things does not do any justice for the workers, the company, the survivors or their relatives.

This was an accident pure and simple and the investigators will probably find the error or the reason it did happen.

Something went wrong and the result of that is the answer as to why it went wrong. It will be very hard to get that answer as the same sort of calamity happened when the Second Narrows Bridge [ Ironworkers Bridge ] collapsed long ago during erection.

And that by the way was a union job so this does happen no matter what or who is involved.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 8:01 pm.I wanna go on record saying how tasteless I feel it was to see shout outs to Castanet for ambulance chasing and being first covering the story. That basically dehumanizes the deaths and tragedy that happened.
It literally happened outside their office. They did not have to chase anybody.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 8:01 pm With 5 deaths you are darn right there will be a lengthy investigation. And the CEO trying to shift blame is a moot point.
It's a moot point because it never happened. Why are the people already trying to demonize and blame owners while babbling about unions? No one knows what happened yet, and it's sick to use the blood of the dead and dying to push political agendas at this point. For shame!!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

blais65 wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 7:10 pm Big time incident here as far as worksafe throughout Canada.
I worked on a similar worksite a couple blocks away from were this happened back in 2010,and i got a job for the day through an agency.You would show up at six in the morning and they would send you on a construction site.It was somewhat a gong show.
I really feel for everyone who is impacted by this terrible tragedy
So you worked for a day labor company where you got paid every day and now, it was a gong show?

Every day laborer I ever employed believed that whatever job site they were on was a gong show. That's why they were day laborers.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

Return to “Central Okanagan”