Crane collapse downtown

mexi cali
Guru

Re: Crane collapse downtown

Post by mexi cali »

Effing forensic scientists on here already know that it was the fault of A) unions B) the city C) day laborers D) structural defects (very possible) E) greed F) the mission group as a corporation G) Basran H) Shoddy workmanship.

Who needs an investigation?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Such a tragedy. My heart goes out to those who were lost, those injured, those who lost loved ones, witnesses and first responders. It's been a traumatic day for so many people.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

UPDATE 8:15 p.m.

It's a parents worst nightmare, one an Edmonton couple is living through as they sit by the phone for word on their son.

The couple, who Castanet will not identify, received word earlier today the crane their son was working on in downtown Kelowna, had collapsed. They don't know anything else.

"The only thing that we know is basically what everybody else knows, is that at this point they seem to have four fatalities. We have heard the names of two, but we don't know the names of the others," the father told Castanet.

"We heard through a different source who two of the people were, and neither one of them are our son. There are two people who supposedly have not been identified."

Police have so far not confirmed a number of fatalities in Monday's incident, only saying "multiple people" were killed and that they were working to confirm the identities of all the victims.

The father said they just want to know the fate of their son and the worst part is waiting, not knowing.

"It's pushing nine hours, so you would think by now there would be some way, and some answers available to us."

He says he has been in communication with Emergency Services through the RCMP throughout the day. They have not yet heard from the company. At this point, he says, all they can do is hope.

Castanet will continue to update this story as information becomes available.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... wna#339739
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

There is nothing worse than losing a child in a tragic accident. It just crushes you. I have an aunt and uncle who lost their only child when the man-lift tipped over while working at a mine up north. That was 20 years ago, and they still feel the pain.

My heart goes out to the families, and also to first responders and witnesses.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Vacancyrate wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 6:30 pm Good thing Work safe BC will fine the contractors/developers "thousands of dollars" if there is any safety violations.

Oooooooo. I'll bet they are shaking in their boots.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... lace-death

This car wash in Penticton killed a employee and it cost them $2500. This was a car wash company that has zero political influence and/or legal team - the exact opposite of a large Kelowna developer and contractor.

I wonder how much the fine will be? 500 bucks?

The developer and contractors will still walk away with crazy profits. This is just the cost of business!

It's not like these were afforable homes or a bridge/public works. This was just for $$$.

Sad but true.

Also notice how Mission Group is already distancing themselves with the age old "It was a contractor (that we hired) not us!"
WorkSafeBC fines are based on percentage of payroll.
The car wash has a very small payroll, hence the small fine.

As the Prime Contractor the Mission Group still has responsibilities of sub trades.
Workers Compensation Act Part 3 Division 3 Section 118

**condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of those lost today.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 13th, 2021, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
lsj777
Fledgling

Post by lsj777 »

soupy wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 10:30 pm
Vacancyrate wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 6:30 pm Good thing Work safe BC will fine the contractors/developers "thousands of dollars" if there is any safety violations.

Oooooooo. I'll bet they are shaking in their boots.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... lace-death

This car wash in Penticton killed a employee and it cost them $2500. This was a car wash company that has zero political influence and/or legal team - the exact opposite of a large Kelowna developer and contractor.

I wonder how much the fine will be? 500 bucks?

The developer and contractors will still walk away with crazy profits. This is just the cost of business!

It's not like these were afforable homes or a bridge/public works. This was just for $$$.

Sad but true.

Also notice how Mission Group is already distancing themselves with the age old "It was a contractor (that we hired) not us!"
WorkSafeBC fines are based on percentage of payroll.
The car wash has a very small payroll, hence the small fine.

As the Prime Contractor the Mission Group still has responsibilities of sub trades.
Workers Compensation Act Part 3 Division 3 Section 118

**condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of those lost today.
I thought the Prime Contractor must make sure that any sub contractors must have workers compensation in place for his company and all his employees and he is in good standing with the workers compensation board . This would save the Prime Contractor from any claims against them . I might be wrong but that's the way I was told it works .
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Want to see something creepy?

https://instagram.com/stemmercrane?utm_medium=copy_link

Click on his story from today. There's a video of the crane operator working along with a bunch of helpers probably moments before the collapse.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

CEO Jonathon Friesen and Mission Group better "Lawyer Up"...........rest assured it is coming!
radiotech90

Post by radiotech90 »

Through the grape vine... Father and two son team (stremmer construction). Crane was brand new, first time disassembling it. Fathers in critical care, just lost his two sons in the accident. Show some respect people.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Yes people, its a tragic accident. A lot of posters on here are being very insensitive and way out of line..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

We had a friend over yesterday who works at the site. They were up on the 20 something floor, and said the building felt like it was made of water when the crane fell. They had no idea if the rest of the crane was going to go down, and were concerned something was going to happen to the building. Mad panic to get down, and couldn't move down the stairs fast enough.

He reported a lot of emotional and upset people on the job site right after. Hopefully they put in some mental health support for the workers. Such a terrible accident.
hail Satan y'all
The_quiet_one
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by The_quiet_one »

My heart is so sad for all involved :(
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 13th, 2021, 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
You and 71 others Like this post
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Evacuation zone in place
Roughly two blocks of downtown Kelowna are still cordoned off as an investigation continues into a fatal crane collapse Monday morning.

Multiple people were killed when the crane at the Bernard Block development at Bernard Avenue and St. Paul Street collapsed during the dismantling process.

The vertical portion of the crane is also now at risk of collapse, forcing the evacuation of homes and businesses in the area.

During a news conference Monday evening, Mission Group CEO Jon Friesen was unable to say when the rest of the crane would be stabilized and evacuation orders lifted.

“I think that is for future days, right now we are just concerned with the injured and those who were not so lucky,” Friesen said, calling the incident "a tragedy."
More here:
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... -be-lifted
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Central Okanagan”