Crane collapse downtown

crookedmember
Banned

Re: Crane collapse downtown

Post by crookedmember »

Zazzle wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 6:13 pm Union has nothing to do with safety when it comes to jobsites like these
It amazes me that people make statements like this when a simple google search would provide a wealth of information from many sources that would save them embarrassment.

Yes, union sites are safer. If M.G. had used a union contractor, this collapse probably wouldn't have happened.

But they wanted to save money, I guess.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

crookedmember wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 8:55 am
Zazzle wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 6:13 pm Union has nothing to do with safety when it comes to jobsites like these
It amazes me that people make statements like this when a simple google search would provide a wealth of information from many sources that would save them embarrassment.

Yes, union sites are safer. If M.G. had used a union contractor, this collapse probably wouldn't have happened.

But they wanted to save money, I guess.

exactly....................
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with union or not some of you need to wake up
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Take your Union/Anti-Union to another thread. Enough derailing!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
0depius
Board Meister

Post by 0depius »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 2:17 pm I just talked to the RCMP manning the post at Bernard and St. Paul and they told me I can probably get my truck "later tonight". I said I was worried about it being broken into and she told me "there's a hundred cops surrounding it, I think it's safe".
Were you able to get it out? I had to leave my vehicle parked in that area too as they would not allow me to retrieve it. Hoping I can get it tonight.
Mediocre people do exceptional things all the time.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I think falling is the worst way to die. A terrifying way to meet your end. Ever since I can remember I've had dreams where I was flying, and then looking down 200 feet to the ground below, and suddenly I can't, and I come crashing down to the ground, and wake up in a cold sweat just before impact.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Mission Group projects seem to have big problems. Not so long ago they had a massive flood on one of their student housing projects. This worries me because it seems like a lot of bad things happen with their projects. And now the worst of all, multiple fatalities at their construction site. Perhaps they should increase their focus on quality and safety a bit more. Nobody should die as a result of working. Feel bad for those who died and were injured, and their loved ones. What a sad day in Kelowna's history.
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

Given the accident that happened up in Glenmore earlier this year, this beginning to look like a concerning pattern.

I felt the shaking way out across the lake. :200:
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

I just saw the video posted by the crane company.

2 workers not wearing hardhats and the one guy on the right is not even wearing any fall restraint device.

One person is posting to Instagram and farming social media points while performing critical and dangerous crane disassembly.

WorkSafe BC loves the fact these clowns posted to Instagram.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Scrobins94 wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 9:11 am Mission Group projects seem to have big problems. Not so long ago they had a massive flood on one of their student housing projects. This worries me because it seems like a lot of bad things happen with their projects. And now the worst of all, multiple fatalities at their construction site. Perhaps they should increase their focus on quality and safety a bit more. Nobody should die as a result of working. Feel bad for those who died and were injured, and their loved ones. What a sad day in Kelowna's history.
Mission Group always specialized in low-rise construction. Ella was the first concrete tower that they finished recently, this one was the second high-rise project, I believe. Perhaps lack of experience in high-rise construction has something to do with the outcome.

A sad day indeed.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

lsj777 wrote: Jul 12th, 2021, 11:48 pm
I thought the Prime Contractor must make sure that any sub contractors must have workers compensation in place for his company and all his employees and he is in good standing with the workers compensation board . This would save the Prime Contractor from any claims against them . I might be wrong but that's the way I was told it works .
Whoops I gave the old WCA part.
WCA Part 2 Division 4 Sections 24 & 25

Prime Contractor has much more responsibility that ensuring good standing.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

You guys a few if you are being ignorant and out of line here..
FACT Leibherr is a very expensive crane, probably one of the most expensive.
AND it appears it may have been brand new and on its first job..

So if you think anyone cheaped out, show us an example of a better peice of equipment they could have used.. :smt045
Last edited by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown on Jul 13th, 2021, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Vacancyrate wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 9:19 am I just saw the video posted by the crane company.

2 workers not wearing hardhats and the one guy on the right is not even wearing any fall restraint device.

One person is posting to Instagram and farming social media points while performing critical and dangerous crane disassembly.

WorkSafe BC loves the fact these clowns posted to Instagram.
Seriously reffering to dead people as clowns come on man
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

RCMP to hold crane update
UPDATE 9:11 a.m.

Kelowna RCMP have announced they will be holding a news conference at 11 a.m. to provide the latest update on the tragic crane collapse in downtown Kelowna.

The collapse claimed multiple lives but the exact number of the deceased and injured remains unclear. The father of one of the workers who was feared dead told Castanet on Monday there were four fatalities.

Many businesses in the downtown core near the crane, including the Safeway on Bernard Avenue, remain closed on Tuesday.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... -be-lifted
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

CrystalCity wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 9:14 am Given the accident that happened up in Glenmore earlier this year, this beginning to look like a concerning pattern.

I felt the shaking way out across the lake. :200:
What are you talking about ? There was a fire in Glenmore that affected that crane.. completely different scenario..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Central Okanagan”