Crane collapse downtown

Mtn Biker
Übergod

Re: Crane collapse downtown

Post by Mtn Biker »

Scrobins94 wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 12:39 pm It's dangerous when safety protocols aren't in place or not followed. For example, even a chainsaw is safe when used properly. I'm not claiming that there weren't safety protocols or not followed, but this is definitely something that needs to be investigated with transparency.

I also understand that the tower was due to be completed by spring 2021. I sincerely hope there aren't pressures to rush through the investigation just to resume construction activities.
That is a lot of speculation and assumption and you have no idea what took place or why.

IMO the only comments we should be reading here are condolences to the families of the deceased. These were young men, with young families and extended families, and this was their job. Many lives changed yesterday for ever, and not for the best. RIP
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Mtn Biker wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 1:18 pm That is a lot of speculation and assumption and you have no idea what took place or why.

IMO the only comments we should be reading here are condolences to the families of the deceased. These were young men, with young families and extended families, and this was their job. Many lives changed yesterday for ever, and not for the best. RIP
I agree.
The contractor has many years of experience and if they had catastrophic issues in the past, they would not be in business today.

They have been a part of OUC and TRU construction jobs. They know what they are doing.
That crane was made by a well known producer with many years of large equipment building.
a lot of speculation and assumption and you have no idea what took place or why
Leave it to all the experts in the field, their findings will be announced as to why this happened. Until then, respect those that died that day.
Bring back the LIKE button.
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 10:09 am
What are you talking about ? There was a fire in Glenmore that affected that crane.. completely different scenario..
They general safety of the constructions sites, that all.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
Liquidnails
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Liquidnails »

Stemmer Crane is going to need every cent of that go fund me for the lawsuits.
Lesley2525

Post by Lesley2525 »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 9:46 am You guys a few if you are being ignorant and out of line here..
FACT Leibherr is a very expensive crane, probably one of the most expensive.
AND it appears it may have been brand new and on its first job..

So if you think anyone cheaped out, show us an example of a better peice of equipment they could have used.. :smt045
I wonder if this was the first time the operators had used this crane. Maybe, if it was brand new, there could have some slight difference between this crane and other cranes the operators were experienced with, that led to the catastrophe. Just speculating.

It is a very tragic event.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

When it is all said and done and the dust settles - I think this incident will have an impact on the rubber stamping of these towers going up down town. And IMO will have an impact on high cranes and their proximity to other buildings/residents/businesses in the area. That's the big take away from this incident. When I was in class for a safety course at BCIT - a worksafe guest speaker put it best. Many sections and addendums to the safety guide and regulations was unfortunately written in blood.

This incident was a gigantic tragedy. It was 2 interior companies on the rise to new heights. And now there will be a lot of question marks to answer.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#339854

I am thinking that these people are going to have PTSD for a long time...yikes....
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The crane was used successfully to the point of completion of the project.
There was a specialty crew brought in from the coast trained to dismantle it.
noun: speciality
1. a pursuit, area of study, or skill to which someone has devoted much time and effort and in which they are expert.
The accident happened during the dismantle phase.

The equipment was built by one of the best companies in the world.
It was supplied and operated by a company that has a great safety record.
The employee/operator would not have been sitting in that seat if there was any doubt that he might not be able to handle the equipment.
He will now have to face years of doubt and questioning by many organizations and will not be able to return to work (If he wasn't one of those that was killed).

This accident affects many more than just the ones that were killed, their families, friends, and coworkers. This could ultimately seriously affect 100 other people, whether they were a first hand witness or lived hundreds of miles away.

The "trickle down effect" could psychologically affect children and grandchildren that have not even been born yet.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

Response time is critical and one thing that needs a look at is the bridge. It needs a 3rd lane (Emergency) into Kelowna as we were on the bridge as the West Kelowna Emergency was trying to get through. Planning needs to be done now.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 13th, 2021, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic/stop giving orders.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

alanjh595 wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 4:17 pm *removed*
Bring back the like button ...

My heart goes out to the family of the man STILL in the office building ..

I get all the saftey reasons , but still....

I hope they get him out really soon . No one deserves that .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 3:29 pm When it is all said and done and the dust settles - I think this incident will have an impact on the rubber stamping of these towers going up down town. And IMO will have an impact on high cranes and their proximity to other buildings/residents/businesses in the area. That's the big take away from this incident. When I was in class for a safety course at BCIT - a worksafe guest speaker put it best. Many sections and addendums to the safety guide and regulations was unfortunately written in blood.

This incident was a gigantic tragedy. It was 2 interior companies on the rise to new heights. And now there will be a lot of question marks to answer.
I think you're over estimating the long term impact of this accident.

While tall buildings are new to Kelowna. They're not new to the rest of the world. As mentioned by a previous poster - crane collapses occur globally on a weekly basis. Big impact to Kelowna where we've never seen one before, but globally it's just another week.

I really doubt this will have any impact on approval of additional high rises. Construction techniques aren't even a consideration when it comes to approval - CoK has absolutely zero influence or care when it comes to that topic. There's a reason it's called "National Building Code" and not "Kelowna Building Code" ;)
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

where was MGs Safety Inspector when the crane was being taken apart?
I feel sick for families and loved ones of the victims - I personally would consider moving into the building when it is finished
Hope the GoFundMe pages do well. Tragic and seems senseless
For who called the victim a clown... hate to be you
Everything that kills me makes me feel alive
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

TylerM4 wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 4:30 pmI think you're over estimating the long term impact of this accident.

While tall buildings are new to Kelowna. They're not new to the rest of the world. As mentioned by a previous poster - crane collapses occur globally on a weekly basis. Big impact to Kelowna where we've never seen one before, but globally it's just another week.

I really doubt this will have any impact on approval of additional high rises. Construction techniques aren't even a consideration when it comes to approval - CoK has absolutely zero influence or care when it comes to that topic. It wasn't the high rise that caused this accident. It was likely human error, but could also be a manufacturing defect in the crane. The results of the investigation might impact rules/regulations/requirements surrounding cranes but that's it.
I would be more willing to subscribe to your "happens all the time"/"fuggedaboudit" notions if an innocent civilian wasn't buried under rubble still beside the site. A civilian who had nothing to do with the collapse has died as well. In regards to the civilian's death it wasn't just business - it is personal. I wonder if there will be civil suits for the non worker casualties.

Fortunately this will have an impact going forward in downtown Kelowna. I am all for Kelowna going up. It will employ many people for many years to come. But this is a big deal.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

TylerM4 wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 4:30 pm

One year ago:

"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Central Okanagan”